The Student Room Group

I have a nursing interview next week!

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on interviews for a undergraduate nursing degree with Bolton.
I have already passed the Maths and English assessments this week, I originally came away felling as though I had failed them, surprisingly not.
I now have this interview along with a group discussion (which I very much hate)and I am now worried about failing this as this is the last step before an unconditional offer.
I am a confident person but not so confident with interviews or group discussions or the devils presentation. I feel i need a heads up on maybe some very recent interviews people have had..

thanks
Original post by thefox90
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on interviews for a undergraduate nursing degree with Bolton.
I have already passed the Maths and English assessments this week, I originally came away felling as though I had failed them, surprisingly not.
I now have this interview along with a group discussion (which I very much hate)and I am now worried about failing this as this is the last step before an unconditional offer.
I am a confident person but not so confident with interviews or group discussions or the devils presentation. I feel i need a heads up on maybe some very recent interviews people have had..

thanks

Hi,

Please see the announcement RE discussing interview details: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ann...p?f=640&a=1816

We can't really say exactly what will happen at interview, not only because it would give some people an unfair advantage, but also because all universities run their interview days quite differently.

I can offer some generic advice though:

- Make sure you fully understand the role of an adult/children's/mental health/learning disability nurse
- Research about the university and their facilities, and about the latest nursing news. (BBC Health News is a good place to look)
- Understand the basics of the NMC Code of Conduct (2015) and the NHS Constitution (2013) as you may be asked about these, or you may want to refer to them in your answers - which would come across very well
- Practice answers to questions you are likely to be asked
- Maintain good posture and eye contact, and remember the tone of voice which you are speaking in. Speak clearly and slowly. Be calm and measured in what you say, thinking first.
- Actively listen as much as you talk. This is particularly important in group interview scenarios.
- Make an effort to involve everybody in a group discussion

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask

Best Wishes
Joel
Reply 2
Thank you, sorry hadn't realised I'm new to the site.
Original post by thefox90
Hi

thanks

@thefox90 Hi, How did you interview go? Do you have upcoming interview or awaiting responses?

Here's some interview tips!!!:smile:

In terms of interview preparation, I would say firstly relax and don't let your nerves define you as a person. Yes we are all humans and nerves are natural but go into your interview with enthusiasm and a clear open mind.

Easier said than done right! Well here's some news for you. My first interview was the hardest one because I didn't know what to expect but when I sat my literacy and numeracy test I did the best I could to the best of my knowledge and ability. That's all we can do right! When I got through to interview stage I was over the moon and I knew It wasn't over yet I still had to prove myself.

Depending on the course you have applied for, I would advise you to research the role of a nurse/ midwife/ ODP and know it enough to answer any question about the subject and use your transferable skills and personal qualities and skills. Research the specific skills, qualities and personality of your chosen career. Look at what's going in the media for instance shortage of beds in many hospitals at the moment what are the implications of this on patients/ staff, the local community for instance. Know your subject inside and out. They are not expecting you to be an expert but it's useful to know and understand the demands and pressures of a nurse/ midwife and so on.

Another thing every university is different some will adopt a traditional interview style/ group exercise or an MMI - multiple mini interview or selection days. It's useful to know which style you will have to attend. Think about the questions you might be asked and situations that you might encounter working in the healthcare environment. Youtube is a good source or Google for looking for common interview techniques or questions.

Also, there are forums which discuss specific universities which may help you on your journey, I hope my response was helpful!!! Let me know how it goes?

I hope you hear soon!!!
Reply 4
Original post by nelfran29
@thefox90 Hi, How did you interview go? Do you have upcoming interview or awaiting responses?

Here's some interview tips!!!:smile:

In terms of interview preparation, I would say firstly relax and don't let your nerves define you as a person. Yes we are all humans and nerves are natural but go into your interview with enthusiasm and a clear open mind.

Easier said than done right! Well here's some news for you. My first interview was the hardest one because I didn't know what to expect but when I sat my literacy and numeracy test I did the best I could to the best of my knowledge and ability. That's all we can do right! When I got through to interview stage I was over the moon and I knew It wasn't over yet I still had to prove myself.

Depending on the course you have applied for, I would advise you to research the role of a nurse/ midwife/ ODP and know it enough to answer any question about the subject and use your transferable skills and personal qualities and skills. Research the specific skills, qualities and personality of your chosen career. Look at what's going in the media for instance shortage of beds in many hospitals at the moment what are the implications of this on patients/ staff, the local community for instance. Know your subject inside and out. They are not expecting you to be an expert but it's useful to know and understand the demands and pressures of a nurse/ midwife and so on.

Another thing every university is different some will adopt a traditional interview style/ group exercise or an MMI - multiple mini interview or selection days. It's useful to know which style you will have to attend. Think about the questions you might be asked and situations that you might encounter working in the healthcare environment. Youtube is a good source or Google for looking for common interview techniques or questions.

Also, there are forums which discuss specific universities which may help you on your journey, I hope my response was helpful!!! Let me know how it goes?

I hope you hear soon!!!

Hello there how was the literacy test asi have no clue what is expected and how to practice for it?
Original post by Saras98
Hello there how was the literacy test asi have no clue what is expected and how to practice for it?

@Saras98, I didn't apply for the same universities as the thread starter so can't help you there, was just giving general interview tips for any undergraduate nursing interview.

In terms of the literacy and numeracy tests, Your best bet is to check the universities website to see if they have past papers that you can practice, and if you struggle with them, you should do some revision, YouTube is great, also google past papers from other university website this will get you working with different interview questions. It has also been said that BBC Bitesize is also really good for Maths of course!!!

Check your email from the university if they invited you to interview in this way, or interview details on UCAS Track, if not, check the universities website they should be a page discussing what to expect and how to practice since every university is different.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help, I just jumped on this thread giving general advice!!! :smile: It has helped me so thought I could help someone else.
Reply 6
Original post by nelfran29
@Saras98, I didn't apply for the same universities as the thread starter so can't help you there, was just giving general interview tips for any undergraduate nursing interview.

In terms of the literacy and numeracy tests, Your best bet is to check the universities website to see if they have past papers that you can practice, and if you struggle with them, you should do some revision, YouTube is great, also google past papers from other university website this will get you working with different interview questions. It has also been said that BBC Bitesize is also really good for Maths of course!!!

Check your email from the university if they invited you to interview in this way, or interview details on UCAS Track, if not, check the universities website they should be a page discussing what to expect and how to practice since every university is different.

Sorry, I couldn't be more help, I just jumped on this thread giving general advice!!! :smile: It has helped me so thought I could help someone else.

Thanks for your advice
Original post by Saras98
Thanks for your advice

@Saras98 Your very welcome!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending