The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

First Year Warwick Student (MORSE) AMA

First year MORSE student here, since term 1 is almost over, feel free to ask me anything about the uni etc. :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheSnazzyMan
First year MORSE student here, since term 1 is almost over, feel free to ask me anything about the uni etc. :wink:

How's the workload? Everyone always goes on about MORSE being really difficult?
I've applied hoping for an offer soon!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I'm in year 12 studying maths, ecnonmics, psychology. I've absolutely no clue what i want to do, apart from knowing i want to do something mathsy, so i've been looking into the bsc MORSE at warwick and southhampton. here comes hte long list of questions lol.....

What made you choose this course?
What a levels did you do and what grades did you get?
What other unis/ courses did you apply to? (because i cant find many unis that offer this course)
If you applied to different courses, what was your ps like?
aand what kind of work experience and stuff did you have?

Thankyouuuu
Original post by Niz2206
How's the workload? Everyone always goes on about MORSE being really difficult?
I've applied hoping for an offer soon!

For Warwick, you can have this guideline in terms of workload/difficulty:

Pure Maths > MORSE/Maths and Physics > Physics > Science Subject > Economics > Social Sciences etc.

That being said, MORSE is difficult (although certainly not more difficult than pure maths), however, if you do the work (and some pre-reading before uni), you should be fine getting through.
I know lots of MORSE people who go out every week and many who don't. If you can balance it right, you should get a decent grade :smile:
Original post by amyamy1
I'm in year 12 studying maths, ecnonmics, psychology. I've absolutely no clue what i want to do, apart from knowing i want to do something mathsy, so i've been looking into the bsc MORSE at warwick and southhampton. here comes hte long list of questions lol.....

1) What made you choose this course?
2) What a levels did you do and what grades did you get?
3) What other unis/ courses did you apply to? (because i cant find many unis that offer this course)
4) If you applied to different courses, what was your ps like?
aand what kind of work experience and stuff did you have?

Thankyouuuu

1) It's the best balance I could find between doing a science and an economics degree. For one thing, Economics/Management/A&F would've been 'too generic' for me ('aka everyone is doing this' - don't slay me xD).
MORSE is a super versatile degree (you could do anything from finance to cancer research and IT, since there are various streams you can go into)

2) Did Austrian A levels, so I don't think I'll be much of help for you here. That being said, A*AA should get you into the uni. (MORSE was in clearing last year, I think grades were A*AB - don't get fooled into thinking it hurts the degree's reputation, it certainly pushes your skills and mindset)

3) Manchester, LSE, Camb, Birmingham. Didn't get an offer from LSE/Camb tho :frown: MORSE is truly unique in that sense, although I'm sure Maths & Econ at UCL f.e. would be cool as well

4) For MORSE, a pure maths PS does the job. For all I know, Warwick doesn't care much about your work experience/ECs in your PS when it comes to Maths/MORSE.
How are you finding Analysis I and Sets & Numbers?
Original post by Barraco Barner
How are you finding Analysis I and Sets & Numbers?

Sets and Numbers is alright. Not much to say about it because there's a set amount of content that the lecturer needs to get through so he just uses the lecture script.
Analysis is quite interesting. I know many people who are struggling with it but the more you work on it, the easier it gets to find the idea on how to solve those things.
Sets and Numbers is alright. Not much to say about it because there's a set amount of content that the lecturer needs to get through so he just uses the lecture script.
Analysis is quite interesting. I know many people who are struggling with it but the more you work on it, the easier it gets to find the idea on how to solve those things.

Why did you pick the degree you are doing at the moment?
Do you find the degree nearly impossible?
What kind of things do you learn in pure maths?
Original post by MajorFader
1) Why did you pick the degree you are doing at the moment?
2) Do you find the degree nearly impossible?
3) What kind of things do you learn in pure maths?

1) See above.. I like the possibility of choosing my own modules from various departments.
2) No degree is 'nearly impossible' (that applies to Oxbridge as well). It all depends on the amount of work you are willing to put into this. I know some who put a lot of effort into it and some who rather don't. Obviously, if you work hard, you are likely to get good grades as well.
3) It's all about proofs and using the idea behind a proof in a different problem question. If you want me to go further into this, let me know (but I don't think you'd gain much out of it if you haven't come into contact with university level maths yet)
Reply 9
What maths and further maths modules did you take at A-levels apart from the core ones ( c3 c4 & fp2) and do you think it helped you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Have you any plans as far as doing the integrated masters is concerned? Are statistics modules as boring as A level, or does it get more interesting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eratee
What maths and further maths modules did you take at A-levels apart from the core ones ( c3 c4 & fp2) and do you think it helped you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm an EU Student so I can't really guide you further here. If you have done a little group theory, know the trigonometric formulas and are good at calculus (differentiation and integration), then you are very much set in terms of prerequisites.

Original post by to4ka
Have you any plans as far as doing the integrated masters is concerned? Are statistics modules as boring as A level, or does it get more interesting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will probably do the integrated masters (but plans change, who knows...) to get the actuarial exemptions (even if I decide to do a different career). I'm not too sure about the statistics modules as we don't have any in term 1 :/
Is there any chance to switch from MORSE to pure if lets say you're more interested in that side?
Original post by Inert1a
Is there any chance to switch from MORSE to pure if lets say you're more interested in that side?

Yes, technically you can switch. However, it requires you to do some extra modules:
The compulsory MORSE modules are: ST115, ST116, ST104, MA106, MA137, IB104, EC106 (no need to know what they are), but they already amount to 120 CATS of workload (which is quite a lot).

Doing those modules, you are totally fine to switch to Maths and Stats.
If you want to switch to pure Maths, you'll need to take 2 extra modules: MA113 and MA134 which are 18 CATS, i.e. you'll have to do 138 CATS on the MORSE degree and still perform really well on the course.
Yes, technically you can switch. However, it requires you to do some extra modules:
The compulsory MORSE modules are: ST115, ST116, ST104, MA106, MA137, IB104, EC106 (no need to know what they are), but they already amount to 120 CATS of workload (which is quite a lot).

Doing those modules, you are totally fine to switch to Maths and Stats.
If you want to switch to pure Maths, you'll need to take 2 extra modules: MA113 and MA134 which are 18 CATS, i.e. you'll have to do 138 CATS on the MORSE degree and still perform really well on the course.

So the fact that pure maths has higher entry requirements would not be any sort of barrier to this?

Also, what if you started off with the maths and stats course? How many extra modules would you need to take if you wanted to switch to pure?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15

Would you recommend the course to someone?
Do you have any advice for preparation? (Specific areas to look into)
Which accommodation are you in? Are you happy there?
Do you still have a social life with the pressure of MORSE?
Have you made lots of friends? Are the people on the course sociable?
Original post by Inert1a
So the fact that pure maths has higher entry requirements would not be any sort of barrier to this?

Also, what if you started off with the maths and stats course? How many extra modules would you need to take if you wanted to switch to pure?

Feel free to browse through this if you don't quite follow what I'm about to say: http://web.warwick.ac.uk/info/courseregs/201516/UST.htm
If you start of as a Maths & Stats student, you can just take the 2 that I mentioned and stay on 120 CATS. However, if you don't take EC106 (Economics), then you won't be allowed to transfer to MORSE. So if you REALLY wanted to keep ALL options open (MORSE and pure Maths), then you'll have to do what I mentioned above.
And the A Level requirements don't really matter if you want to switch after the first year. As long as you perform well, I don't think it should be an issue. If you want to switch IN the first year, this might be important.
Reference: https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/transfers/

Original post by ak217
Would you recommend the course to someone?
Do you have any advice for preparation? (Specific areas to look into)
Which accommodation are you in? Are you happy there?
Do you still have a social life with the pressure of MORSE?
Have you made lots of friends? Are the people on the course sociable?

I can definitely recommend MORSE to anyone as it does allow you to go into a variety of careers. However, the workload is one of the highest (Pure Maths and MORSE have the highest workload I reckon, but Physics and Chem are difficult as well so...). So for anyone who likes going out a lot, this may become and issue if you still want to get high grades.
In terms of preparation, I'd definitely recommend reading "How to think like a Mathematician" and checking through some Analysis content. The latter will give you some sort of a headstart, which is extremely important in the first few weeks. (The first few weeks are crucial, as either you lose interest in the subjects or you become passionate about it).

I'm in Old Rootes but I'm quite happy there, as my flatmates are all calm and we keep the kitchen somewhat tidy lol. (However, the vast majority of other Rootes flats are just far too messy so I wouldn't necessarily wanna try my chances on it again)

Let's say I still get involved in the societies (Maths society, MORSE society, Student Cinema), do sports. Time management is key and don't underestimate it. And yeah, I made quite a few friends but it depends on whether you make effort in making friends or not really. You'll find both sociable and less sociable people but if you talk to enough, you'll find enough good friends :smile:
What do you think you will do after you graduate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Betsyboo
What do you think you will do after you graduate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tough one! University does change everything about you. I thought I'd go into finance at first, but now I am really not sure about it anymore. So looking into finance and tech (data science etc.) atm
Reply 19

How many hours a week would you say you are studying for (including lectures etc)?

Quick Reply

Latest