The Student Room Group

Honest people get screwed over

I'm 100% honest all the time with everyone and look where it gets me:
- I get constantly insulted, people blame me for everything and put guilt trips on me
- I get no chances from anyone, not from friends, not from employment

I tell you, life being honest horrendously sucks.

What does lying get you?
- success
- friends
- jobs

I'm not kidding.

Scroll to see replies

I have low tolerance for liars though.
If you're great you wouldn't have to lie about yourself.
Naive people do, but honest ones can learn to protect themselves by seeing the truth clearly.
I recently just joined college and a retake student didn't want anybody to know that he was a retake student and changed his date of birth to a fake one. He stopped talking to me now and I laugh everyday 😂. I am not laughing at him but I am laughing at the fact that he managed to stay faithful to a lie like that. He could just tell the truth, because many other retake students are much more open to it and nobody cares TBH . Brilliant actor he is.

Moral of the story is: the world we live in today is probably the most dishonest thing in the universe. From the politicians right down to bus drivers. Just be true to yourself because there is nothing better than that.

Stay blessed.
be selective when you're going to be honest then - only be honest when you think it's going to benefit you. that's what others tend to do
I'd usually not lie and I guess most people wouldn't just lie, but most people would exaggerate and portray reality as more colourful than it actually is, classic example are of course job applications - elevating your volunteering, responsibilities, skills etc. This is what's called a white lie.
Eh? I don't feel you. I'm honest the vast majority of the time and I'm really happy with life - people realise they can trust you more as you're less secretive about your real personality. Ok, I keep a few secrets, and I will lie if the truth will only cause long term pain, but an honest life is very fulfilling.
Reply 8
Original post by Proxenus
If you're great you wouldn't have to lie about yourself.

I graduated, I have two degrees but I have an anti-social personality and I am honest about it. However, people don't like anti-social people. They all play this nice little fake role in everyone's faces.

Examples:

honest guy:
"Hey! How are you?"
-> "I feel depressed. I can't get employed even though I have a Bachelors degree and an Associates degree. The problem is that employers want teamworkers and I'm not that kind."
- person walks away from me

liar:
"Hey! How are you?"
-> "I'm doing fine! Everything is great! Life is swell!"
- guy proceeds to invite this liar and they become friends and in the span of weeks this guy gets loads of friends and everyone likes him because he says everything is fine even though his actual life might suck balls

honest guy:
(Employer): "Do you like working in teams?"
-> "No. I hate teams. I especially hate getting disturbed" (pure honesty)

liar:
-> "Yeah man, I love teams!" (proceeds explaining how he is efficient and loves teams even though he hates it)
Reply 9
Original post by TimGB
Eh? I don't feel you. I'm honest the vast majority of the time and I'm really happy with life - people realise they can trust you more as you're less secretive about your real personality. Ok, I keep a few secrets, and I will lie if the truth will only cause long term pain, but an honest life is very fulfilling.

Examples required according to protocol S101A-T.
Reply 10
Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO
I'd usually not lie and I guess most people wouldn't just lie, but most people would exaggerate and portray reality as more colourful than it actually is, classic example are of course job applications - elevating your volunteering, responsibilities, skills etc. This is what's called a white lie.

The problem is that I'm so honest I don't even do white lies - and then no one likes me.
If I have a skill at any expert level, I will mention it - otherwise not.
If I have responsibilities, I will enlist them, but I will not boast about them in a way that makes it not true.

In other words, I serve the truth as-is.
Reply 11
Original post by sleepysnooze
be selective when you're going to be honest then - only be honest when you think it's going to benefit you. that's what others tend to do

Until it would come back to bite you in the butt. For example, I got selected for a .NET programmer's job because I told them I know C# - and I do.

I passed all the C# tests in glory, while the other candidates didn't.. and guess what, they lied about it. The employer told me: "The previous candidates told me they were good with C# but then I showed them a design pattern and they didn't know what I was talking about - and you did".

I don't want to fall into a situation - especially in the software engineering world - where I tell an employer I have a skill that I don't and then I get busted. It's also against the law to lie about skills by the way. Check your local interim office - they have a sheet on that.
Original post by 571122
I graduated, I have two degrees but I have an anti-social personality and I am honest about it. However, people don't like anti-social people. They all play this nice little fake role in everyone's faces.

Examples:

honest guy:
"Hey! How are you?"
-> "I feel depressed. I can't get employed even though I have a Bachelors degree and an Associates degree. The problem is that employers want teamworkers and I'm not that kind."

liar:
"Hey! How are you?"
- guy proceeds to invite this liar and they become friends and in the span of weeks this guy gets loads of friends and everyone likes him because he says everything is fine even though his actual life might suck balls

honest guy:

liar:
-> "Yeah man, I love teams!" (proceeds explaining how he is efficient and loves teams even though he hates it)

This is more negativity vs positivity than honesty vs fabrication.
Original post by 571122

Examples:

honest guy:
"Hey! How are you?"

liar:
"Hey! How are you?"

honest guy:

liar:

Here's the problem. I wouldn't employ you, you sound like a right downer.
Reply 14
Original post by Willy Pete
Here's the problem. I wouldn't employ you, you sound like a right downer.

I wouldn't read your posts. Added to ignorelist.
Original post by 571122
I wouldn't read your posts. Added to ignorelist.

The irony is incredible.

Doesn't like person for being honest, wonders why people don't like him.
Reply 16
Original post by douglas merritte
Whoa there. Those aren't white lies, that's fraudulent behaviour. If you had inveigled your way into being an employee of mine in such a way, the moment I found you out you'd be dismissed and I'd pursue you for costs.

Indeed, indeed. It's liars like him that get hired.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by JohnGreek
(I suspect that this guy has added me to his ignore list by now, but I might as well get the point out to the rest of TSR)

Effectively blocking your ears and saying "lalala" when someone says something you don't like isn't the best way of achieving career development or making friends. Perhaps that's why others have and will get picked over you - their ability to counter criticism, not merely block it out

Don't you worry about my reasoning and critique abilities. I have a Bachelor's degree - I have studied and practiced agruing to a high degree but I don't use it on useless kids who are still in their diapers, especially ungraduated ones.

I don't need any lessons from you. Put your money where your mouth is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
You reported me earlier for making a pun about you being a knob.

You're not honest, just very, very bitter and malicious.
Reply 19
Original post by Mr Poo
You reported me earlier for making a pun about you being a knob.

You're not honest, just very, very bitter and malicious.

Me: Bachelor
You: student

Me: win

Power! Aaaand there you go down the dirt shoot! Woohahahahaaaa!

Quick Reply

Latest