The Student Room Group

Peppa Pig is 'unIslamic'.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onde
Islam forbids the veneration of animate things, so Peppa Pig would ironically be likely to be more Islamic than the replacement.

For the purposes of educating and entertaining children, Islam permits the depiction of animate creatures. (It prohibits them for the purposes of veneration and worship).

As an example, it is expressly permissible in Islam for children to play with dolls.
Original post by Wōden
Peppapig.jpg

Problem solved.

I should not have laughed.
Seriously why does everything have to be so deep with some religious people? It's a ****ing cartoon show.
Tbh their choice if they want to make something different, I mean let's not pretend as if someone who was Christian wouldn't claim a certain programme like Family Guy or The Simpsons wasn't good at conveying their beliefs.

I do think this is stupid but at the end of the day, they can really do what they want and this really isn't that amusing.
Original post by Onde
Ah yes, I remember reading about Aisha playing with dolls before Muhammad had sex with her.

Exactly, so as far as we know there's nothing un-Islamic about the new show, nor anything so Islamic about Peppa Pig show that makes it more Islamic than the new one.
Original post by The Epicurean
It's on the internet.

So? Rules for broadcasting can still apply, should we want them.

Original post by The Epicurean
It's quite hard to police what parents let their kids watch on the internet. Plus, there already exist religious channels on TV, there are many religious schools in the UK and there are loads of religious children's books for sale in shops throughout the UK. Banning this one online website would have little effect.

There is a significant difference in audience and impact between books and TV for children, today more than ever. But regardless, everything has little effect in reformation: it consists of small steps. Any channel manipulating positive claims of belief are no more than indoctrination when children are the object.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Wtf???

Eating pig is haram, but anything else to do with pig is okay im preety sure if you had a pig as a pet it would be ok whats the fuss. Noone is being forced to eat pig.

I don't know much about Islam or any other similar religion, but I don't even think you're allowed to get involved with pig, whether to eat or even handle.

I still think it's silly though.
Why the **** is peppa pig seen as offensive? It's a pig like any other any other animal i know it's unislamic to eat a pig but getting offended by a cartoon pig is ****ing ridiculous. There are many other cartoon animals i don't see anyone causing a shitstorm over those. It's quite funny as there are bigger issues in world yet peppa big is a big deal for some reason.
Mr Alsuleiman, who has generated controversy in the past for his homophobic views, urged parents to donate money to the production of the cartoons.

The Telegraph don't realise that this will only increase donations.
Original post by tazarooni89
For the purposes of educating and entertaining children, Islam permits the depiction of animate creatures. (It prohibits them for the purposes of veneration and worship).

As an example, it is expressly permissible in Islam for children to play with dolls.

Muslims vary in what they believe Islam says on various matters.

So I'm curious, in light of the bolded above, do you believe that art galleries and museums, where there is content that can be described as "haram" and "venerated" by people, be prohibited to be accessed by Muslims and removed/destroyed in your ideal Islamic state, if it held such content?

There are of course other philistine Muslims: such as those of a...Salafi persuasion, due to viewing Islamic prohibitions and restrictions on the arts: perceive unIslamic content (for example Venus figurines, Venus de milo (no hijab, breasts exposed) Mona Lisa, statue of Augustus Caesar, family pictures both on drawing and digital, movies, music etc,
being revered/venerated by people as being haram and quite like ISIS, are supportive of their removal from view/destruction.

Spoiler

What do you think of such content (in above in italics)? Would you prevent/restrict yourself from viewing such content? because it's haram? doubt/disbelief inducing? In fear of admiring...venerating, the beauty, story, meanings and workmanship perceived from such content? Would you be supportive of such content being destroyed, especially to prevent them from being venerated?
(edited 7 years ago)
The article is very misleading, and the title of this thread is simply wrong.

The creator of the new "Islamic" Kids TV show is not claiming that Peppa Pig is unislamic, or is in any way making the link that "we don't eat pigs in our religion therefore we shouldn't watch TV shows containing them either". In fact he says that he and his kids watch Peppa Pig themselves.

Rather, the new show was inspired by the animations and storylines of Peppa Pig, and was created with the additional intention of promoting certain Islamic values (that are universally beneficial for all children) such as having good manners, being good to parents, neighbours etc. (As opposed to the character of Peppa Pig, whom some parents consider to be a "brat":wink:

The fact that Peppa Pig is in fact, a pig, is largely irrelevant.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/television/creator-muslim-childrens-show-inspired-peppa-pig-dont-hate-pigs/

Yes I'm sure it's all one big coincidence; it's not like Muslims to kick up a fuss about cartoons now is it?

Spoiler

Original post by Onde
Indeed, it would seem strange if Islam allowed adults to have sex with children but did not allow children to watch cartoon pigs.

It certainly would be strange if Islam prohibited children from watching cartoon pigs or cartoon humans for that matter. So I take it you're willing to go back on your original statements?

If you really want to discuss sex with children I'd suggest you do so on a more relevant thread.
Original post by macromicro
Yes I'm sure it's all one big coincidence; it's not like Muslims to kick up a fuss about cartoons now is it?

Spoiler

What is your point exactly? Have I said something you disagree with?
Original post by Emperor Trajan
Muslims vary in what they believe Islam says on various matters.

So I'm curious, in light of the bolded above, do you believe that art galleries and museums, where there is content that can be described as "haram" and "venerated" by people, be prohibited to be accessed by Muslims and removed/destroyed in your ideal Islamic state, if it held such content?

There are of course other philistine Muslims: such as those of a...Salafi persuasion, due to viewing Islamic prohibitions and restrictions on the arts: perceive unIslamic content (for example Venus figurines, Venus de milo (no hijab, breasts exposed) Mona Lisa, statue of Augustus Caesar, family pictures both on drawing and digital, movies, music etc,
being revered/venerated by people as being haram and quite like ISIS, are supportive of their removal from view/destruction.

Spoiler

What do you think of such content (in above in italics)? Would you prevent/restrict yourself from viewing such content? because it's haram? doubt/disbelief inducing? In fear of admiring...venerating, the beauty, story, meanings and workmanship perceived from such content? Would you be supportive of such content being destroyed?

Personally, I would simply refrain from worshipping such statues and images and turning them into deities, the way idol-worshippers have done in so many other civilisations. That's about it really.
Glad to see that some people in the 21st century have it as a priority to islamify an innocent cartoon. It would be hilarious if not so astoundingly absurd.
Original post by Onde
No. As @Emperor Trajan has pointed out, there is Islamic scripture that prohibits outright the use of images, nevermind whether they are venerated or not, nevermind whether they are use by children or not. (These cartoons are not drawn by children). I'm not aware I've said anything contrary to Islamic scripture.

"Islamic Scripture" consists of just the Qur'an (not Hadith), and nowhere does it outright prohibit the use of images.

Hadith are sayings made by ordinary humans and should be interpreted as such, rather than held to word-for-word perfection as though they were uttered by a God. The Hadith, when understood collectively, essentially say "Creating images is prohibited (lest you begin to worship them). They're acceptable in other situations though (such as for the entertainment and education of children)".
Original post by Onde
Ah yes, I remember reading about Aisha playing with dolls before Muhammad had sex with her.

:rofl:
Personally, I would simply refrain from worshipping such statues and images and turning them into deities, the way idol-worshippers have done in so many other civilisations. That's about it really.

I was rather hoping you'd quote and answer my questions, that aside...

I somewhat take it from your post, you're fine with admiring and venerating, the beauty, story, meanings and workmanship perceived by such content as that described earlier?

Or would you say those who visit art galleries and museums and view such unislamic content and admire and venerate, the beauty, story, meanings and workmanship perceived by such content as "idol worshipers"? (Which also brings up the question of the idolatrous like veneration of many Muslims of the Quran, the Kabba, the Blackstone, but I'll leave that out).

Also if such 'venerated' content (for example Venus figurines, Venus de milo (no hijab, breasts exposed) Mona Lisa, statue of Augustus Caesar, family pictures both on drawing and digital, movies, music etc,) was held by your ideal Islamic state, would you be supportive of their removal/destruction?
Original post by Onde
Islam forbids the veneration of animate things, so Peppa Pig would ironically be likely to be more Islamic than the replacement.

(Whenever there is outrage over some allegedly offensive cartoon of Muhammad, the outraged seem to be alerted more readily by the fact that Muhammad is depicted at all rather than over the alleged offensiveness: and by going out of their way to not depict him, they are of course going out of their way to venerate Muhammad - idolatry in other words).

Interestingly, this company has on their website a cartoon entitled "What did Muhammad look like?" I'm not sure how they will approach that topic.
Another thread about ****ing Islam...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending