VEGAN EPQ (essay) TOPICS NEEDED

Watch
Kchick10
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm a 16 year old student in my first year of 6th form and I've chosen to do the EPQ which is a 5,000 word essay on whatever topic I want. I can't think of or find a topic that actually interests me or that I feel I could write an A* essay about, but something that I'm passionate about is veganism however I ironically cant't find a topic. I feel like "Why veganism is the best lifestyle on the planet" is too broad of a question to answer in 5,00 words, and I've been advised to keep my topic as specific as possible. Any suggestions for the title of an essay that YOU would see and want to read. Thanks
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kchick10)
Hi, I'm a 16 year old student in my first year of 6th form and I've chosen to do the EPQ which is a 5,000 word essay on whatever topic I want. I can't think of or find a topic that actually interests me or that I feel I could write an A* essay about, but something that I'm passionate about is veganism however I ironically cant't find a topic. I feel like "Why veganism is the best lifestyle on the planet" is too broad of a question to answer in 5,00 words, and I've been advised to keep my topic as specific as possible. Any suggestions for the title of an essay that YOU would see and want to read. Thanks
I'm a meat eater and you'll never change me and I'm in no way tying to offend but I think something about why non-vegans think you are all mad as hatters and the moral and health basis for your choice to be vegan would be interesting to read. Something that had some properly researched nutritional advice to back it up would be good. "Why it's the best lifestyle on the planet" sounds like you are a bit up yourself. "Why people consider vegans are mad as a box of frogs, and why we are not" would catch my attention. It would be helpful to explain what vegan even means given that I recently read a post from someone who was claiming to be 90% vegetarian and that eating certain fish was fine because they didn't experience pain!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
If you can answer why your teeth are evolved to eat meat and vegetables by having fairly sharp canines and incisors; how there is no cellulase enzyme in the body; how living a vegan lifestyle vastly increases chances of nutritional deficiency; how it would kill a baby if he/she were to go on it; how are gut length is fairly intermediate as we're suppose to eat both meat and vegetables, then I'm sure you can write a good essay.
Student15137
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It wouldn't kill a baby. Be careful about spreading inCorRect information xxx
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
I'm a meat eater and you'll never change me and I'm in no way tying to offend but I think something about why non-vegans think you are all mad as hatters and the moral and health basis for your choice to be vegan would be interesting to read. Something that had some properly researched nutritional advice to back it up would be good. "Why it's the best lifestyle on the planet" sounds like you are a bit up yourself. "Why people consider vegans are mad as a box of frogs, and why we are not" would catch my attention. It would be helpful to explain what vegan even means given that I recently read a post from someone who was claiming to be 90% vegetarian and that eating certain fish was fine because they didn't experience pain!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get your points, but there is a strong environmental case for it. I would never try and change someones mind, but some vegans I've met do it because of the negative environmental impact on mass farming. In that regard it can be environmentally friendly to be live a vegan lifestyle. I agree though the OP could word their title better. It's possible to get meat in environmentally friendly ways of course (for example I use to fish and catch my own fish in sustainable areas), but most people I know who eat meat eat mass produced, farm meat.
eve_4342
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Environmental impact
the meat eaters paradox
health in general
???
Fellow vegan here
303Pharma
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
" If veganism had become a global cultural norm, prior to the pre-historic agricultural revolution (in particular, animal domestication), would civilization have been invented? "
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
EDIT: Sorry I just noticed how old this thread is! I will keep my ideas up here in case they might help anyone who has to do a similar sort of paper.

Here are some suggestions for you:

1) "Economic considerations of pivoting to a majority crop-based agriculture sector"

One of the biggest issues is that the agriculture sector has is that it does not see a strong argument from pivoting from meat/dairy to crops. What are the economics consequences of this?

2) "Cultured Meat: A vegan perspective?"

Many arguments that vegans have against meat relate to issues around cruelty associated with mass farming and the environmental impact of mass farming of sentient animals. Cultured meat (meat that is produced by cell cultures) provides organic meat but does not require the breeding and slaughtering of animals. To what extent does this mitigate vegan concerns about the meat industry?

3) "Health impact of a vegan diet: Is it always the best option?"

Is a vegan diet always the healthiest option? Are there instances where it may not be suitable for everyone?

Those are a few ideas. They will require you to be objective, and to read research and draw proper conclusions from data and research papers where possible. I would read some papers around the topics above, and try and give a balanced perspective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
7.2%
October 2021 (116)
49.15%
November 2021 (23)
9.75%
December 2021 (31)
13.14%
January 2021 (21)
8.9%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (22)
9.32%