The Student Room Group

Unpredictable first year of A Levels

Hi!
So it's almost Christmas and almost the end of my first year of AS Levels, and to say the least, it's been a shock to the system.

I took biology, maths, chemistry and French, and hope to study medicine. I had lots of A*s at GCSE, and over those two years, I consistently had A*s and As in tests, mocks, homework and exams. However, in my first term of AS levels, I've had every grade between an A and an E in all my tests and homework. I'm still predicted 4 As at AS, but I'm starting to panic. We have mocks in January, and I have a fear that they'll lower my predicted grades. I can go into more detail if needed, but please help in any way you can :smile:
Hi, Effieb! :smile:

If you're grades are predicted for 4 A's at AS, you should believe that you're going to get them!
Don't start to panic. Panic gets people nowhere. Carry on doing exactly how you've been doing, and if you come out with a few 'not so good' results in your mocks, work on it! To make things better, they're just mocks! :tongue:

What makes you think you're going to get lower than your predicted grades?
Reply 2
Original post by Teenaging
Hi, Effieb! :smile:

If you're grades are predicted for 4 A's at AS, you should believe that you're going to get them!
Don't start to panic. Panic gets people nowhere. Carry on doing exactly how you've been doing, and if you come out with a few 'not so good' results in your mocks, work on it! To make things better, they're just mocks! :tongue:

What makes you think you're going to get lower than your predicted grades?

Thanks for the reply :u:
Well it's mainly because I've had a crazy variety in tests since this September, but not in all subjects. For example we've had around 6 biology tests this year, and out of those, in 5 of them I had an A, and the 6th was a B. However in chemistry, I've had A*s, As and Bs in homeworks, an A* in the first test, and an E in the most recent test... Same goes for maths :frown:

So in a sense, I don't quiiiite feel anxious or confident, it's kind of a no-man's land in terms of emotion:s-smilie:

Oh and I'm not really sure how my teachers feel either, but as far as I know, they don't seem concerned, so that's okay :smile:
If you just put your mind to it as you have been doing, everything will be okey-dokey!
Like you've said, you've had loads of tests all at once. I think it's great how you can do as well as you have done for a variety of subjects! :biggrin:
You've only had one or two 'lower than expected' grades, and even they're still passes!
If you're concerned about your recent grades, try speaking to the teacher in the subjects they're in. They'll probably work through the recent tests with you and see where you went wrong, and that's then something to revise twice as much on!

Hope this helps! You'll be fine! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Teenaging
If you just put your mind to it as you have been doing, everything will be okey-dokey!
Like you've said, you've had loads of tests all at once. I think it's great how you can do as well as you have done for a variety of subjects! :biggrin:
You've only had one or two 'lower than expected' grades, and even they're still passes!
If you're concerned about your recent grades, try speaking to the teacher in the subjects they're in. They'll probably work through the recent tests with you and see where you went wrong, and that's then something to revise twice as much on!

Hope this helps! You'll be fine! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

That's so encouraging, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply