Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Erm...im moving to uni in 2 weeks. Can't use a washing machine, any tips?! lol

I know to separate colours and stuff, and generally wash at 40'c.

Also....im gonna be sharing a laundrette with like 400 other students, whats the rules around the laundrette?

Thanks for the help!

(Original post by LinMolko321)

Also....im gonna be sharing a laundrette with like 400 other students, whats the rules around the laundrette?

Thanks for the help!
    Washing machines in laundrettes are normally self explanatory. Ours had instruction posters on the walls. Put clothes in. Add whatever washing powder/capsule/tablet you want to use in the correct part of the machine. I use liquid capsules that you put in the drum because they are convienant if more expensive. Add fabric conditioner too for soft clothes. Shut door. Add money. Select cycle. Wait. Empty washing machine and transfer clothes to dryer.

Its always a good idea to come back for your washing as soon as possible when it is finished. People don't like a busy laundrette with machines full of clothes that have finished thier cycle.

ReputationRep:
    Infact, if it's early evening on a weekday I'd be there five mins early to get it just so no **** tips it on the floor.
    Also a bag to carry it to the laundry is handy, like one of those tesco 10p ones cause it fits enough for one load and you can leave it there and if it 'walks' you won't be out of pocket.

ReputationRep:
    If you're gonna leave make sure you know what time the wash will finish, cos if you are not back when your wash has finished and someone wesle wnats to use the machine, thats how clothes go missing. Me and my boyfriend would often go down together mid evening when no one was there and we would go get something to eat or have a drink in the sub and then go back when it was finished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    Its always a good idea to come back for your washing as soon as possible when it is finished. People don't like a busy laundrette with machines full of clothes that have finished thier cycle.
    Aye, Its not uncommon for people to empty machines themselves if they have to wait for more than 2 minutes :rolleyes:

Its all pretty straight forward tbh, if I can do it then I'm sure you can. Although I did once forgot to put any washing powder at all in :doh:

A tip I have is to put your clothes in the drier for ages, around an hour or so. It virtually cut out ironing for me

(Original post by SuperDaz)
    Aye, Its not uncommon for people to empty machines themselves if they have to wait for more than 2 minutes :rolleyes:

Its all pretty straight forward tbh, if I can do it then I'm sure you can. Although I did once forgot to put any washing powder at all in :doh:

A tip I have is to put your clothes in the drier for ages, around an hour or so. It virtually cut out ironing for me
    Didn't come across that in a year of using our campus laundrette. Someone I know left his clothes in a dryer for a whole weekend because he forgot about them and they were still there Monday morning.

Our laundrette had nice sofas so I would sometimes just take my books and do all my reading whilst waiting for my clothes as it was quiet and warm.

Another tip. Keep a small supply of change for machines. If your laundrette is anything like ours the change machine will regulary be out of order.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses everyone I'm also wondering....how much it will cost? And what colours can you put together?

e.g. Pink/orange/red? Would this work? Or blue/green?

Just to save money, lol

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything you can't put in a tumble dryer? I'm on my own for a couple of weeks so going to have to use it (well, unless it's hot outside and I could dry it that way) and I'm not sure what I can / can't put in there!

ReputationRep:
    Check all the labels on your clothes they can tell you how to wash them and whether or not they can be tumble dried.

Thanks for the responses everyone I'm also wondering....how much it will cost? And what colours can you put together?

e.g. Pink/orange/red? Would this work? Or blue/green?

Just to save money, lol
    I put all colours together.

When I do my washing I have a light colour wash and a dark colour/black wash. Don't really own much white so I just throw those few items in with light colours.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to do light, bright and dark, my jeans, darks jumpers and tops and black underwear go in the dark wash, my white/light tops and underwear go in the light wash and the bright wash is everything else. Make sure you know what of your stuff it hand wash, best not to put that in a machine and cool wash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    Our laundrette had nice sofas so I would sometimes just take my books and do all my reading whilst waiting for my clothes as it was quiet and warm.
    So did ours as well as a TV. I always found it quite uncomfortable when people were in there tbh. I dont want people to watch me handle my delicates, Its one step away from voyeurism :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    So did ours as well as a TV. I always found it quite uncomfortable when people were in there tbh. I dont want people to watch me handle my delicates, Its one step away from voyeurism :p:
    Lmao, ughh another worry! I hadn't even considered that! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    Is there anything you can't put in a tumble dryer? I'm on my own for a couple of weeks so going to have to use it (well, unless it's hot outside and I could dry it that way) and I'm not sure what I can / can't put in there!
    Generally don't put wool in unless you want teeny-tiny baby jumpers.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the help!
    No diving
    No bombing
    No petting
    No running
    No littering
    No smoking
    No drinking/eating
    And definitely no shoes on poolside.

ReputationRep:
    erm can you put white and blue stuff together? (light blue - towels and shirts if that makes any difference). Or do whites have to be done on there own and anything else goes in the dark wash?

ReputationRep:
    Check the care labels - some will say some will only have the pictures, check here for what they all mean: http://www.washing-machine-repair.co.uk/symbols.php

ReputationRep:
    erm can you put white and blue stuff together? (light blue - towels and shirts if that makes any difference). Or do whites have to be done on there own and anything else goes in the dark wash?
    Ideally, whites should be done on a 40-60C wash on their own. I tend to mix light colours, though - saves water and energy. Oh who am I kidding? Me? Eco friendly? I just don't have enough light coloured clothes to do 2 separate washes :p:

ReputationRep:
    READ the instructions, don't do what a load of idiots at my uni did last year and put powder in a drawer that says "LIQUID ONLY" if there isn't a drawer for powder it goes in the drum! Otherwise the drawers get clogged up and nobody else can use the machine.

I put whites in with light colours. Don't have enough white clothes to justify a seperate wash for them. Washed a white shirt with all my colours and it is fine. Wouldn't put whites with coloured items that are new and therefore haven't been washed often though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.