The Student Room Group

How can one criticize US foreign policies????

I've just noticed that the US really should tell those who criticize us to stop being stupid. I have dual American/British citizenship and have lived in England all my life. I am currently working on John Kerry’s presidential team and have realized the hypocrisy of European arguments about the USA. We (the USA) have liberated Iraq and Afghanistan and even though 25,000 civilians are dead (which is terrible) 50 million people are free. Afghanis are about to vote for the first time, Iraqis are rebuilding schools and democratic institutions and potentially millions have been saved from murder in the future by Saddam or the Taliban or in the US or UK by Al Qaeda. Apparently though, this is bad!! Currently Sudan is left at the hands of murdering thugs and yet the UN is too afraid to even impose a threat of force! Only the US is arguing for military assistance and is ignored by the rest of the world! In terms of farm subsidies, the US offered to cut all of theirs worth $120 billion and huge political expense. The Europeans only agreed to a part way plan to protect their own interests. If America was listened to here we could save millions of farmers in LEDC's and construct a fairer, safer world where all people have the opportunity for trade and prosperity free of fear.

To the critics of America - look in the mirror, stop being dumb

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
USUK1
I've just noticed that the US really should tell those who criticize us to stop being stupid. I have dual American/British citizenship and have lived in England all my life. I am currently working on John Kerry’s presidential team and have realized the hypocrisy of European arguments about the USA. We (the USA) have liberated Iraq and Afghanistan and even though 25,000 civilians are dead (which is terrible) 50 million people are free. Afghanis are about to vote for the first time, Iraqis are rebuilding schools and democratic institutions and potentially millions have been saved from murder in the future by Saddam or the Taliban or in the US or UK by Al Qaeda. Apparently though, this is bad!! Currently Sudan is left at the hands of murdering thugs and yet the UN is too afraid to even impose a threat of force! Only the US is arguing for military assistance and is ignored by the rest of the world! In terms of farm subsidies, the US offered to cut all of theirs worth $120 billion and huge political expense. The Europeans only agreed to a part way plan to protect their own interests. If America was listened to here we could save millions of farmers in LEDC's and construct a fairer, safer world where all people have the opportunity for trade and prosperity free of fear.

[liberal european mode] but we're European, we're right because we have our culture and our lifestyle and our political ideologies and we're just that little more sophisticated because we drink wine alot and work half as much as you do, have smaller cars, dont have any accents and thus superior by default..but can we still blindly harp on about tolerance of other cultures?[/liberal european mode]
The UK is the strongest supporter for military intervention in Sudan. We have pledged 5,000 troops. You Americans are dragging your feet.

US Foreign Policy: No oil? No war!
Reply 3
Biggles
The UK is the strongest supporter for military intervention in Sudan. We have pledged 5,000 troops. You Americans are dragging your feet.

US Foreign Policy: No oil? No war!

"The U.S. has pledged nearly $200 million in aid to the region. The European Union so far is kicking in a little more than $10 million from all 25 countries in the EU combined. It is the U.S. that is pushing hard for a tough Security Council resolution that will call on the Sudanese government to end its support for violence and allow aid to flow into Darfur. This is consistent with the administration's history of involvement in Sudan"

If the US was sending troops in, you'd be screaming unilateral warmongering. But if its our chaps and the peace-loving French then tally ho!
And China arent interested because of the Oil interests there...what was that about Blood for Oil?
vienna
"The U.S. has pledged nearly $200 million in aid to the region. The European Union so far is kicking in a little more than $10 million from all 25 countries in the EU combined. It is the U.S. that is pushing hard for a tough Security Council resolution that will call on the Sudanese government to end its support for violence and allow aid to flow into Darfur. This is consistent with the administration's history of involvement in Sudan"

If the US was sending troops in, you'd be screaming unilateral warmongering. But if its our chaps and the peace-loving French then tally ho!
And China arent interested because of the Oil interests there...what was that about Blood for Oil?

Where did you get the quote from? The Jew-Neocon Institute for Israeli-Republican Foreign Policy?

You're clearly a bloody American - only a coward would refuse to disclose where one hails from (and the USA is coward HQ of the world).
Reply 5
Biggles

I don't think that America are the only supporter from what I have heard on the news and read recently the group of African countries (I can't remeber their name) are calling for millitary intervention. The UN is not ignoring the problem in sudan it is in negotiations, the UN isn't just going to run in their gun blazing if this isn't the best option for the people of sudan it will take some time to decide on the best way to act.

I can see lots of reasons why people may have a dislike for American foreign policy. America and the UK (many people didn't support the war) went into Iraq without the backing of the UN,went to attack a country who had made no threat to the US or the UK. Many innocent civilians were killed for a war which many people felt was based on oil. Now these are not my personal views I think that the war in Iraq will eventually make life better for the Iraqi civilians but I think these arguments are a valid reason to dislike American foreign policy.
Reply 6
Biggles
Where did you get the quote from? The Jew-Neocon Institute for Israeli-Republican Foreign Policy?

You're clearly a bloody American - only a coward would refuse to disclose where one hails from (and the USA is coward HQ of the world).

well, its amusing that I should post such a comment since it rubbishes the critics view that America only pursues diplomacy in Israel, as Rich Lowry pre-empted beautifully. If youre interested it was Nina Shea of Freedom House - http://www.freedomhouse.org/

Im not hearing, like I dont from the media, anything about the barbaric Islamic militias though...funny that.
Reply 7
vienna
Im not hearing, like I dont from the media, anything about the barbaric Islamic militias though...funny that.

The bbc and other news groups in the UK talk about the attacks make by both sides of the israeli/ palisininan conflict and both are portrayed a wronge.
Reply 8
randdom
The bbc and other news groups in the UK talk about the attacks make by both sides of the israeli/ palisininan conflict and both are portrayed a wronge.

i) i would beg to differ. the documentaries and 'exclusive reports' certainly dont.
ii) what has this goto do with Sudan?
USUK1

is that what they teach you now?
Reply 10
vienna
i) i would beg to differ. the documentaries and 'exclusive reports' certainly dont.

You do here about the actions of the Militia in sudan and some of the appalling actions they have taken. If that is what you are refering to.
Reply 11
USUK1
We (the USA) have liberated Iraq and Afghanistan and even though 25,000 civilians are dead (which is terrible) 50 million people are free.

Free from what? Free from all the dodgy weapons dealing that the Americans and British did with Saddam Hussein...free to give up oil and gas for western interests? Of course the Europeans are hypocrites, but I for one don't understand how one can't criticise US foreign policies. They're aggressive, self-serving and unbelievably asinine. If you want a full list of examples, read the book, "Why Do People Hate America?" by Sardar and Davies.
Reply 12
randdom
You do here about the actions of the Militia in sudan and some of the appalling actions they have taken. If that is what you are refering to.

yes. but i dont see it running for 4 weeks on the front of every paper. and im interested by the references to Islam, if any.
Reply 13
vienna
yes. but i dont see it running for 4 weeks on the front of every paper. and im interested by the references to Islam, if any.

this article has alot of information about the actions of the Arab Militia and is from the BBC. The crisis has been in the headlines everyday for the last 2-3 weeks, often as the lead story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3791713.stm
Reply 14
The Iraquis are now "free"? Brilliant!!

I know, why not make the US's next target the UK, where we are living in fear under a ruthless dictator, Mr Blair, who lied to the country to push us into a war most of us didn't want - costing us servicemen, husbands, wives, mothers, fathers and children - and afterwards, shaming the BBC in a biased report which caused the suicide of one man and resulted in the meaningless loss of many jobs.

Or even better - why not make make the US target itself? Saddam Hussein was a threat to America and the world, but no more so than a man of George Bush's seemingly lacking intelligence being in charge of the most powerful country in the world, and with such resources that he could easily obtain WMD's. Heck, it was enough reason to go to war with Iraq, wasn't it?

Note to the not-so-wise (read "IDIOTS") - I'm not being entirely serious. But really, I was for this war before it happened, but now it just looks like a total waste of time, money, and lives. America's justification boils down to "well, it's happened now, so tough shit, but Iraq is FREE! WOW!", which isn't enough for me.
USUK1

Whilst I'm no sympathiser of the Bush bashing mob (much of which goes beyond mere dislike of Bushs policy to irrational hatred of the administration and even the USA as a whole), there are many things I would criticise about US foreign policy. I supported the wars conducted in Afghanistan and Iraq, however undoubtedly rather simple mistakes were made in both those conflicts.

Following the Afghanistan war not enough troops were committed to the ISAF which led to numerous delays in holding the election and has meant much of the low-level violence has continued outside of Kabul (where virtually all of the ISAF has and still is based, despite some attempts at extension). The fault for this lies I admit partly with America's allies in Europe and elsewhere, but undoubtedly half the fault lies with the USA. Similarly, although much money was committed to the country at the Bonn Conference (about £10 billion) Afghanistan has been through decades of war and clearly requires more money, although the Bush administration has supplied some more its measly when compared to say the £3 billion given annually to Israel (a rich nation) and the £2 billion given to Egypt. Clearly much greater sums are needed to reduce the chance that Afghanistan will slump back into civil war and thus any gains from removing the Taliban will have been lost.

Although the Iraq war was fought as well as could be hoped, since the war was over in a mere three weeks avoiding the inevitable increased human suffering a longer war would have caused, mistakes were again made here. Post war it became immediately obvious that the USA did not actually have a post-war plan, it evidently thought it would be somewhat easy and could be done 'on the job' the failure to have a plan led to numerous changed and much confusion, something which undoubtedly must have damaged Iraqi trust in the coalition and bolstered opposition movements. More importantly the USA failed to keep enough troops in the country for long enough and thus large swathes of Iraq became lawless following the collapse of Saddams regime. This problem was made worse through the idiotic and short-sighted abolishment of the Iraqi national army and failure to convince other countries that were against the war that they have an interest in peace-keeping in Iraq to - which would have required more co-operation with the UN something taboo in the current administration that to use Bush's words see's the UN 'developing into a talking shop' despite being highly successful in for example in East Timor. Similar problems also exist in Iraq as regard to funds for reconstruction as in Afghanistan again also partially the USA's fault.

Also as regard to the current situation in Sudan although the USA has rightfully taken a forthright position (indeed US pressure ended the other long running civil war in the country) having read your post I was hard pressed to find a source for it and would be grateful if you could comply. To my current knowledge the USA proposed a resolution that Sudan should reign in the fighters in the 30 days or face 'sanctions'" (hardly military assistance), which was watered down to economic and diplomatic 'measures' after opposition (not from us EU Europeans thank you very much) but from Russia and China.

If it's true that the US offered to slash subsidies on farm subsidies to zero good on it, and I applaud that bold move. Can you please supply me with a link for this move?

Lastly its worth noting the USA's 'no' to Kyoto and the World Criminal Court. Although Kyoto is far from a perfect deal and will not in any way end global warming, all efforts have to start somewhere, but saying no the USA has undermined the treaty and thus further future efforts to tackle the problem and also allowed other countries an excuse for saying 'no' - if the worlds only superpower doesn't care why should we? As regards to the WCC the USA has been given numerous assurances that its forces will not be prosecuted for merely political reasons and measures have been put in place to avoid this, however, the USA has not only rejected it, but has actively undermined it through placing pressure on individual nations to sign accords granting immunity to US forces - take for example one pushed onto Columbia which ultimately complied, after being faced with the threat of the withdrawal of security assistance in its civil war and war against drugs.

Thus in conclusion there are actually many, many, legitimate grounds on which to criticise many aspects of US foreign policy.
Reply 16
randdom
this article has alot of information about the actions of the Arab Militia and is from the BBC.

Arab Militia? or Muslim Arab Militia?

The crisis has been in the headlines everyday for the last 2-3 weeks, often as the lead story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3791713.stm

which crisis? the need for aid, the humanitarian crisis, the political response? or the barbary and gang rape and death camps of Islamic ethnic cleansing?
Reply 17
Imagashead,

thank you for having a brain. I'm sorry I don't have any links for the information you requested but I know they were widely reported in the US since 2002. On the topics of the ICC and Kyoto I disagree with you, yet I do respect that we have made some mistakes in Iraq and Afghanistan in terms of forces neccessary etc...
Reply 18
USUK1

calumc,

I don't care if its good enough for you, you don't vote! Ha! It gives me so much pleasure that u and Biggles can't do anything about US policy.

In a country which votes in an idiot like that (and at the same time makes a mess of counting the votes, and invents the word "chad"), I'm rather glad I don't, thankyou.
Reply 19
USUK1
I don't care if its good enough for you, you don't vote! Ha! It gives me so much pleasure that u and Biggles can't do anything about US policy.

However there are people like yourself and an few of my friends who have duel nationality who can do something about it. I think it can only be benificial for people to have seen the election and the politicians from the view point of the British and the American press as it probably gives a more balanced view. I think that people are justified in condeming the USA's Foregn policy for reasons that were listed and a few of the posts here. However I do not agree with the Continuous insults of Bush, it gets a bit tiresome. Like I said I think it is easy to fault with any countries leadership and that includes the USA. However I don't think it is fair to say that the EU are weaker willed than the US or in someway inferior because the coutries aren't they just have a different way of doing things.

Latest

Trending

Trending