Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I was at West Wittering beach on saturday, then drove round some local villages - Dell Quay & Bosham.
    Now I know where seriously monied people go to get away from the Hoi Polloi!

I just love the glazed smile certain public-school educated girls had, and walking by a pub garden the sound of the accents was just so distinct, quite unlike you will hear anywhere else outside of London clubs.

How do I know they were monied ?
    Just the way they dress and have their hair, and many of the houses were obviously second homes.

I'm just celebrating what this social group add to society, just like if you go to Brixton or northern villages you will get a different flavour of humanity.

Hurrah!

I think I'll change my name to Giles Trumpington-Blaine-Stuart.

Please share your thoughts & experiences.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: "monied"

:rofl: "hoi polloi"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Hi!
    I was at West Wittering beach on saturday, then drove round some local villages - Dell Quay & Bosham.
    Now I know where seriously monied people go to get away from the Hoi Polloi!

I just love the glazed smile certain public-school educated girls had, and walking by a pub garden the sound of the accents was just so distinct, quite unlike you will hear anywhere else outside of London clubs.

How do I know they were monied ?
    Just the way they dress and have their hair, and many of the houses were obviously second homes.

I'm just celebrating what this social group add to society, just like if you go to Brixton or northern villages you will get a different flavour of humanity.

Hurrah!

I think I'll change my name to Giles Trumpington-Blaine-Stuart.

Please share your thoughts & experiences.
    Ever read The Stars' Tenis Balls by Stephan Fry?

I'm sure you'd identify quite well with one of the more disturbed characters... (just kidding)

ReputationRep:
    err.. cool?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, random.

ReputationRep:
    I did not understand any of that.

ReputationRep:
    I like posh people :proud:

ReputationRep:
    I think it was a disguised rant about how he wishes he was rich...

ReputationRep:
    Sloane Rangers piss me off and should be hit in the face with a rake.

ReputationRep:
    to OP: if it was irony, then a good one.

ReputationRep:
    id rather a sloane than a chav

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pure_joy)
    to OP: if it was irony, then a good one.
    I bet you don't have Sloanes in Poland.
    I doubt there is an equivalent of Sloane Square in Warsaw.

ReputationRep:
    A Chav is what you get if you take the breeding nd the money away from a Sloane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    A Chav is what you get if you take the breeding nd the money away from a Sloane.

you know some very nice chavs. sloanes just usually do posh things among themselves whereas chavs devote their lives to annoying/mugging/scaring others and general chavvy things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    haaaaaaaaahaha. that's pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onemandisaster)
    Sloane Rangers piss me off and should be hit in the face with a rake.
    If you'd been born of an aristocrat and a multi-millionnaire, I think you'd be one too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dangle)
    I like posh people :proud:
    they are my favourite of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan)
    If you'd been born of an aristocrat and a multi-millionnaire, I think you'd be one too.
    hrmm not really.. i went to a very sloaney school and knew quite a few people who had the money but didn't act in a 'sloane' manner. i guess the term applies to someone who flaunts their wealth somewhat and acts/dresses in a certain way.

ReputationRep:
    i like this thread

ReputationRep:
    They are an exclusive breed (I found no Sloane videos on youtube), but with a pleasant manner (except when they've had too much Pimms to drink).
    You need a certain accent, and money to not have to worry about anything but how and where to be seen.

You needn't be brilliant academically, daddy and mummy will make sure you get a job with the right sort of company.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.