Turn on thread page Beta

Law and sociology watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm trying to decide which universities i should appply to. I'm thinking of Bristol, Sothampton, Exeter, Warwick and maybe Oxford or Brunel.

For the direct law courses the likes of Bristol and Southampton usually want AAA-AAB and so i was thinking that maybe for a backup option i would apply for law and society at Warwick and Exeter as you need lower grades ABB-BBB and on the four year course you can get a qualifying law degree.

Anyway i was wondering if anyone did law and society and what it is like? also i was wondering if doing this course will limit my graduate oppertunities. I mean if i get a good degree like a 2.1 in law and society (on the four year course) would i still have as good an oppertunity as people doing the 3 year llb course?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Law and Sociology is usually BA, not LLB; this means that it is not a "qualifying law degree", (with the exception of a BA from Oxbridge). If you were to study Law and Sociology BA as opposed to Law LLB you would have to sit the conversion course before embarking upon the LPC/BVC.

ReputationRep:
    On the Exeter and Warwick pages it says that on the four year courses, given that you have chosen the right optional modules in the other 3 years you get a qualifying law degree. In Exeter for sure they do a one year course speicfically for people doing law and society, BA law. also it says on the law society web page that you can get a qualifying law degree doing this course.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sorry, evidently I stand corrected, I've just had a look at the law societies website and you're right, both the Exeter and Warwick Law and Sociology courses are qualifying law degrees. However, the small print in the Warwick prospectus states that you will have to choose modules accordingly if you did wish to seek exemption from the legal professional examinations. As a general rule, some Law BA's are not qualifying without additional training so it might be a good idea to seek further clarification on this.

If you did study Law and Sociology and achieve a good degree from an institution such as Warwick, then to answer your original question, you would still be able to compete with those on the Law LLB course. My understanding however, is that the BVC is extremely competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick Law and Sociology IS qualifying on the 4 year variant of the degree, but you will still be awarded a BA, not as you may well infer an LLb just because its qualifying.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 27, 2007

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.