Turn on thread page Beta

Age of Empires vs. Total War watch

• View Poll Results: Which game should i get?
    Age of Empires
    37.21%
    Total War
    65.12%

ReputationRep:
    Im new to this genre of gaming, and having just but a laptop that can actually handle the graphics (see here if you really must lol), im looking to invest in some good fun

So which should i get? I hear their pretty similar, but thought id just get some experienced opinions from you.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with Total war, although few games beat AOE2 Multiplayer.

ReputationRep:
    AOE2 on msn zone is finished now isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    I'd definately say Total War. I actually found AoE3 to be kind of dull.

ReputationRep:
    I really liked AoE3, i never understood why people didn't

ReputationRep:
    I like Age of Empires, but Total War gets my vote easily. I'm useless at it, but I love it all the same

ReputationRep:
    Age of Empires gets my vote!

ReputationRep:
    Total War, for sure. Get Rome: Total War first (it's really cheap these days).

ReputationRep:
    Age of Empires II is the greatest game ever made, in my opinion. I played the campaigns, single player, multiplayer, designed scenarios for it and modded it before moving onto Empire Earth and Warcraft III. Randomly generated maps kick the crap out of the maps we get in Warcraft, Dawn of War etc.

The scope of options with this game is incredible. Scenario design and modding will keep your interest when all else fails. I still play AOE2 with my friend over LAN on occasion, many years after I stopped playing it frequently. It's also one of the few RTS games that allows you to win in pretty much any way imaginable, from defensive (not just building a load of towers, but actual WALLS!!!1) to rushing, resource gathering or deathmatch which does away with all that hunter/gathering stuff. In short, it actually gives you choice. Oh, and you can run it on pretty much any PC/laptop.

ReputationRep:
    LOL to say im in a bit of a dilemma is quite the understatement. 4 votes each!

Other than getting both, im not sure how im going to resolve this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Age of Empires II is the greatest game ever made, in my opinion. I played the campaigns, single player, multiplayer, designed scenarios for it and modded it before moving onto Empire Earth and Warcraft III. Randomly generated maps kick the crap out of the maps we get in Warcraft, Dawn of War etc.

The scope of options with this game is incredible. Scenario design and modding will keep your interest when all else fails. I still play AOE2 with my friend over LAN on occasion, many years after I stopped playing it frequently. It's also one of the few RTS games that allows you to win in pretty much any way imaginable, from defensive (not just building a load of towers, but actual WALLS!!!1) to rushing, resource gathering or deathmatch which does away with all that hunter/gathering stuff. In short, it actually gives you choice. Oh, and you can run it on pretty much any PC/laptop.
    A very tempting blurb there. I presume AoE3 isnt quite as good then?

ReputationRep:
    Also, is there anything you can do in Total war that you cant do in Age of Empires? And vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    comparing Total War series to AoE series is like comparing Arsenal (Total War) to Accrington Stanley (AoE)....or even Tottenham (AoE Beta). Thats how good Total War (Rome, Medieval 2 etc etc) are in comparison.

although personally...i love getting more hard core into the genre and games like Europa Universalis 3, Hears of Iron 2 and Victoria: Revolutions etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you're into the base-building nature of AoE, I always found that games like Warcraft III to be more satisfying than AoE. Even so, I'd always go for the Total War simply because the macro-management of your empire doesn't have to be done at the same time as the fighting! You use the strategy map to gain income, build structures and train armies and then go to a battle map (each map created to match the region where the fight takes place) for duke-ing it out with far far more troops than you could get in almost any strategy game to date.

You'll have fun either way you go

ReputationRep:
    I've played aoe2 alot, i left for a while and got aoe3 when it was released. Its not bad but i ended up switching back to aoe2. Probably the best online statergy multiplayer game, though the single player ain't bad. Also i like the community, shame zone closed down though, GP is about the same.

I've played WC3, only thing its better then aoe2 at is the custom maps.

Not sure about Total war, haven't played it but i doubt i'd like it as much. I really like the style of aoe2.

ReputationRep:
    If you planning on playing single player, then get something from the total war series.

If you have some friends whom you can play multiplayer with, then get AoE2 with the conquerors expansion (and AoE 3 if you can).

ReputationRep:
    Total War, definately. Although AoE is good, TW beats it hands down in the battles.

ReputationRep:
    You could always buy both, they're probably under £10 each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airel)
    You could always buy both, they're probably under £10 each.
    Depends which Total War you're getting. If you can get M2:TW for under £10 now I'd be a bit surprised :p:

ReputationRep:
    thb id even way the Warhammer game >>>>>>>>>>> age of empires.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.