Im really unsure on the degree I have chosen

Watch
Lewismioc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
At the moment I am in a bit of a dilema. Im a year 13 student who has applied to do dentistry and biomedical science (my back up choice) at university. Recently I have had doubts about doing dentistry, so im likely to accept the offer for biomed, considering it leaves all doors open and is an amazing career. But even then im not 100% sure, i mean, i kind of want to do pharmacy too.

In short, my main objective is to keep the "doors open" for as long as possible, so that I can make a decision on what I really want to do further down the line. I might want to do dentistry or pharmacy after my degree in biomed, but would it be possible to get a student loan for either of these if I do a degree in biomed first? Or, would it be better to tranfer to pharmacy (if I decide to) whilst studying for biomed (if this is possible).

My only other alternative is to not go to university this year and then take a year out, gathering information to make a more informed decision.

Sorry if this is a bit long, but I really need some advice
Just4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I get that and either way you'll have options following the degree. Despite what it seems, with a dentistry degree there are many other things you could do apart from being a GDP. Same with biomed. I think its more important that you'll be interested enough to stick it through the 3/5/6 years to finish the degree. Because depending on your university if you want to change to pharmacy from biomed, it may be quite difficult (they may be full or don't allow it).

I would suggest looking into the specific modules by each degree, going to applicant days if you can, researching online and all you can to get a scope of what you're getting into before making a decision.

If you really, really don't want to do either then take a year out and cancel your application and if you figure it out before August, you may be able to use Adjustment/Extra/Clearing (not really sure).

Some links for career research may help as well:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/dentist

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...dical-sciences

Really hope you figure out what you wanna do 😊
Nununu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do more shadowing days
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise