Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    Im a 17 year old student currently at college going into my second year in september, and am interested in a career as a commercail pilot. I know you can train in the RAF and go commercial after that, but i was wondering what qualifications you need, and what the training route to become a pilot is like and what it entails. Please email me back any information or post it up.
    thanks
    kim

ReputationRep:
    An enthusiasm for flying is the main requirement I think!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, the last person who posted something like that got loads of abuse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    Good luck, the last person who posted something like that got loads of abuse
    Me?

ReputationRep:
    no no, but if you want abuse hurling at you i don't mind

flyer2k or something, he was a bit anoying though.

anyhow back to the thread...

Kim, check out http://www.uk-learning.net/t5678.html that thread if you want to join the RAF its got loads of stuff in it about the RAF pilot route. have you looked on british airways site for careers they might have info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ks3288)
    hi,
    Im a 17 year old student currently at college going into my second year in september, and am interested in a career as a commercail pilot. I know you can train in the RAF and go commercial after that, but i was wondering what qualifications you need, and what the training route to become a pilot is like and what it entails. Please email me back any information or post it up.
    thanks
    kim

From what i know, to become a civilian pilot you need to gain a Private Pilots Licence, Commerical Pilots Licence with an Instrument Rating, and an ATPL (Air Transport Pilots Licence?). This will set you back a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    thanks
    kim

From what i know, to become a commercial pilot you need to gain a Private Pilots Licence, Commerical Pilots Licence with an Instrument Rating, and an ATPL (Air Transport Pilots Licence?). This will set you back a lot of money.

If you want to serve in the RAF (don't use it as a free way of getting flying training) then as people have said, read the huge topic on this forum or visit the RAF website and your local AFCO.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    yes and please don't think you can use the RAF for free training, it just doesn't work like that and thats why flyker2k was flamed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    yes and please don't think you can use the RAF for free training, it just doesn't work like that and thats why flyker2k was flamed
    you mean the RAF isn't a flight school???

ReputationRep:
    Vladek, you are joking right?!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you spend your time getting wound-up by people like ks3288. Just leave them to bumble along to an AFCO, they'll realise by themselves that it definitely not the way to become a commercial pilot! If they don't realise, they'd soon have their plan exposed. Remember, the RAF have been doing this for longer than we've walked the earth!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by shiny)
    An enthusiasm for flying is the main requirement I think!
    Actually, ability to fly and good officer qualities tend to be the main requirements.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I know you can train in the RAF and go commercial after that, but i was wondering what qualifications you need, and what the training route to become a pilot is like and what it entails.
    *groan*

You can't really do this that easily. It takes a minimum of 12 years return of service after a minimum of 5 years training before you're likely to be in the position to leave with anywhere near the hours requirements. Then you can probably get your hands on an ATPL if you can fund the exams and you were a multi engine pilot. If you were a fast jet or rotary mate, then your hours don't convert evenly. The CAA rightly say that 1 hour flying Harrier doesn't equate to 1 hour as a Tristar captain when you're looking for an ATPL. Hence even as an FJ guy, you're looking at a hefty hefty amount of cash to qualify.

And then you're in the job market aged 38-42 or something, competing against younger guys and readying yourself for a huge pay cut?

People do it because they've had enough of the lifestyle. If you put up with the stuff the RAF will throw at you for 12 years just to wind up as a commercial pilot, you'll leave jaded, disliked, and wishing you had just forked out the £50k in the first place.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.