The Student Room Group

Philosophy Degree? I need some words of wisdom please...

So I'm about to finish the first semester at Cardiff Uni. Originally I really wanted to Philosophy and Economics, but my grades were just off, so they offered me Philosophy because that's what I'm best at and they said they had to drop a few a few people from economics due to high demand. I accepted because I didn't really put enough thought into my insurance choice (PPE at a worse uni, 800 miles away). Anyways, I used to suffer with severe depression and I know it's coming back (kinda hard to control), and what doesn't help is people taking the piss out of Philosophy saying I won't be employable/ ever on a good salary etc- basically it isn't a stem subject that teaches vocational skills. So I'm here full of regret that I didn't study enough, thinking about the opportunities that could've been had I done Economics. But I tend to over worry and admittedly don't have a lot of experience of the real world...So do people respect Philosophy? or is this one massive joke/waste of time and debt? Because it's hard to be happy when you feel useless (sorry if this sounds whiny, but I literally have no one to talk to)
Reply 1
The study of philosophy is valuable and interesting in itself, but also teaches you (if you engage with it properly) skills of critical analysis that are not developed to the same extent (or often at all) in other subjects. Informed employers recognize this. Less well informed but sensible employers in any case recognize that a good degree in philosophy, like a good degree in history, literature, or languages (for example), shows that the student has a capacity for sustained hard work and the organizational, analytical and writing skills necessary to do well in university assessments. Those who take the piss out of philosophy for not teaching vocational skills are wrong if they think that it teaches you nothing that will be useful in a job, and if they mean that it doesn't teach you the skills necessary for any specific job, then what they say applies equally to pretty much every degree that isn't actually vocational (e.g. law, medicine) or applied science (e.g. engineering).
@Somethingbeautiful
As with any degree, what you get out of it is usually directly proportional to what you put into it. The better degree classification as well as the stuff you do outside of your degree is more important than the subject you get in lots of cases. Employers look for hard-working, well rounded individuals.

I'm a 2nd year Philosophy student at Leeds and can tell you that if you are willing to trust your studies, then everything will come out ok. Philosophy may not be as directly employable as other degrees that fall under the STEM category, but it isn't something that should be looked over at all. The great thing about Philosophy, in my view, is that it teaches you how to think instead of what to think. That is key. If you feel that the content isn't worth learning, you're probably right in some (but not all) cases. However, being able to establish valid or sound arguments and learning how to become a clear thinker is a skill that I believe is increasingly becoming more important in a world where information is constantly being thrown at us and we don't know what to make of it.

Also, just because you are not formally studying economics doesn't mean you can't pick up a textbook and work through it a bit at a time or go and see an academic for 15-20 mins about a question you may have! I'm sure there may even be some value theorists in the Philosophy department who know quite a bit about economics (especially those who teach political philosophy). Or even email an economist and ask!

As for your depression, I can relate to how you feel. I haven't been diagnosed with depression before, but I have had certain life events impact the way I think and behave day-to-day and it has sometimes affected my work. All I can say is that you should seek help. There is no shame in it and you shouldn't try to 'man up' or any of that nonsense. Go and do stuff during the day, try and eat healthily as possible and sleep for 8 hours a night and you'll feel better. I know it's easier said (or written) than done.
Reply 4
I know that a fair number of "professional" degrees tend to go to undergrads in the UK, but it's worth noting that there are quite a lot of philosophy BAs in the States who wind up going to good law and medical schools. It's a sign that you know how to think critically about abstract topics, and that skill is useful in places beyond your university.
Reply 5
Original post by Camilli
I know that a fair number of "professional" degrees tend to go to undergrads in the UK, but it's worth noting that there are quite a lot of philosophy BAs in the States who wind up going to good law and medical schools. It's a sign that you know how to think critically about abstract topics, and that skill is useful in places beyond your university.

Studying a course for 3/4 years to end up going to another course, ending up with even more debt. That's not how it's supposed to work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending