The Student Room Group

To attend a third interview or not..?

I'm just looking for some advice, really.

I've had 2 interviews since submitting my UCAS application, for my top two uni choices. One has given me a conditional offer; the other is still making a decision. My Access course is complete, has undergone moderation, and I meet the conditions for the offer I hold. This, however, cannot change to unconditional until my cert is received in January.

Now, a third uni has offered me an interview. I didn't attend their open day as I didn't think my Access course met their requirements, so I don't really know what the campus is like. The journey isn't likely to be easy (or cheap) due to time and location of interview.

My question is, would you go? Or would you be secure in the knowledge that you already have an offer from one of your top choices, and cancel the interview? Any opinions would be great.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by seize_the_day
I'm just looking for some advice, really.

I've had 2 interviews since submitting my UCAS application, for my top two uni choices. One has given me a conditional offer; the other is still making a decision. My Access course is complete, has undergone moderation, and I meet the conditions for the offer I hold. This, however, cannot change to unconditional until my cert is received in January.

Now, a third uni has offered me an interview. I didn't attend their open day as I didn't think my Access course met their requirements, so I don't really know what the campus is like. The journey isn't likely to be easy (or cheap) due to time and location of interview.

My question is, would you go? Or would you be secure in the knowledge that you already have an offer from one of your top choices, and cancel the interview? Any opinions would be great.

Your username suggests that you should go, does it not??? :smile:
Original post by ageshallnot
Your username suggests that you should go, does it not??? :smile:

It does indeed! I love that quote...

My gut feeling is to go, but family think it's wasted time/money/effort and I can see their logic. It becomes a balancing act with work, rail strikes, and a 140 mile trip into London for a 9am start :wink: Would you agree it's sensible to not shun another option?
It does indeed! I love that quote...

My gut feeling is to go, but family think it's wasted time/money/effort and I can see their logic. It becomes a balancing act with work, rail strikes, and a 140 mile trip into London for a 9am start :wink: Would you agree it's sensible to not shun another option?

Your degree is likely to 'cost' you around £45k in terms of the accrued debt. Given that, the amount spent on another interview is miniscule. As for the hour allotted and the strikes, ask for a more suitable date and time.
Check out the Open Day films for that Uni on You Tube. You could be missing out on something.
Your degree is likely to 'cost' you around £45k in terms of the accrued debt. Given that, the amount spent on another interview is miniscule. As for the hour allotted and the strikes, ask for a more suitable date and time.

Original post by returnmigrant
Check out the Open Day films for that Uni on You Tube. You could be missing out on something.

D'ya know... you're both right. I don't know if I'm missing out... and the best way to judge that is to attend the tours on the interview day, eh?

I've booked the train tickets. £60 return; just means a 4.30am start. I'll kick myself if I don't go.
So far I've had 3 interviews and one more to go , one of them being my 'last' choice. I considered not going as I already had got an offer from the uni I considered my first choice but I'm so glad I went because it's really won me over and I'm considering going there now. They offered me a place the next day and was really happy with the facilities, the friendliness and the professionalism of the selection day.I think you owe it to yourself to go there and see how you feel about the uni, it might change your mind, it might not, but better to have given it a try.
D'ya know... you're both right. I don't know if I'm missing out... and the best way to judge that is to attend the tours on the interview day, eh?

I've booked the train tickets. £60 return; just means a 4.30am start. I'll kick myself if I don't go.

Hope it makes your final decisions easier - one way or another!

Have you asked them to reschedule your interview til later on?

University will usually adjust if travelling is difficult.
Original post by MissDetermined
So far I've had 3 interviews and one more to go , one of them being my 'last' choice. I considered not going as I already had got an offer from the uni I considered my first choice but I'm so glad I went because it's really won me over and I'm considering going there now. They offered me a place the next day and was really happy with the facilities, the friendliness and the professionalism of the selection day.I think you owe it to yourself to go there and see how you feel about the uni, it might change your mind, it might not, but better to have given it a try.

Very good point... it's interesting that you've had that experience. I've not seen this campus at all, so it'll allow an informed decision if I go. I just know that work aren't going to be impressed at me asking for another late-notice day off! 😂

Hope it makes your final decisions easier - one way or another!

Thank you - I'm sure it will 🙂

Original post by PQ
Have you asked them to reschedule your interview til later on?

University will usually adjust if travelling is difficult.

I think a lot of people will be rescheduling that day as a result of train problems... as it is the one I'd need is still running, and I've now booked tickets. It should be fine - it's just an early start!
Good luck! :smile:
Original post by MissDetermined
Good luck! :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Thank you! :smile:

Let us know how you get on.
Let us know how you get on.

I will do! It's this coming Thursday; watch this space :wink:
What do you do if you don't want to attend an interview? I got an interview invite from Manchester but I already have an unconditional at York (which is my first choice), and my insurance is already picked (Chester). I'm assuming I have to let them know somehow because the interview is in February and I'd like to respond to offers before then... What do??? :s-smilie: Someone suggested withdrawing my application but I'm not sure how to do that
Original post by AdoptDontShop
What do you do if you don't want to attend an interview? I got an interview invite from Manchester but I already have an unconditional at York (which is my first choice), and my insurance is already picked (Chester). I'm assuming I have to let them know somehow because the interview is in February and I'd like to respond to offers before then... What do??? :s-smilie: Someone suggested withdrawing my application but I'm not sure how to do that

Just ring them up and explain you don't want to go to an interview.

If you firm an unconditional you neither have nor need an insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you firm an unconditional you neither have nor need an insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was an unconditional if firm, I accepted it as my firm today but still put Chester as an insurance. Is that okay, or did I do something wrong? :s-smilie: it didn't tell me not to
It was an unconditional if firm, I accepted it as my firm today but still put Chester as an insurance. Is that okay, or did I do something wrong? :s-smilie: it didn't tell me not to

You shouldn't be able to select your firm and insurance choices while you still have universities outstanding... this doesn't make any sense? I have a conditional offer on my UCAS at the minute; in order to reply to that I'd have to withdraw all my other choices, or wait for them all to make a decision...
You shouldn't be able to select your firm and insurance choices while you still have universities outstanding... this doesn't make any sense? I have a conditional offer on my UCAS at the minute; in order to reply to that I'd have to withdraw all my other choices, or wait for them all to make a decision...

I didn't have any universities outstanding. I posted this question on other threads too, and was told to withdraw my application to manchester directly through UCAS, which I did. I already had conditional offers from chester, lancaster and sheffield, and an unconditional if firm from york. After I withdrew my application to manchester I was given the option to respond to my offers, and I officially chose my firm (york) and insurance (chester)

Quick Reply

Latest