Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm Phil, I'm 17 and a few months ago I was diagnosed with leukaemia. This meant I've had to take a year away from college as I was meant to return. It's so boring having no friends and I'm so bored, watching wrestling, movies and TV shows are my hobbies but other than that I'm really bored. It's rubbish.

I tried cooking but I made a mess of it and due to my condition I can't play much sport. What the hell do I do? I find myself getting really agitated at tiny things, and sitting around feeling down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batman1308)
    I'm Phil, I'm 17 and a few months ago I was diagnosed with leukaemia. This meant I've had to take a year away from college as I was meant to return. It's so boring having no friends and I'm so bored, watching wrestling, movies and TV shows are my hobbies but other than that I'm really bored. It's rubbish.

I tried cooking but I made a mess of it and due to my condition I can't play much sport. What the hell do I do? I find myself getting really agitated at tiny things, and sitting around feeling down.
    Wuddup Phiiiiiil :gangster:

1st of all I'm so sorry and I pray you recover from this :jumphug:

Spoiler:
    Show

also I was in year 8 and knew this girl who was so nice and popular right and then she disappeared for like months and then came back in the middle of the yr attached to a drip, with an aid, and all her hair was gone and the stitching on er head was visible. Turns out she had a brain tumour. Well the girls who used to speak to her when she started convo with them like normal they were just nasty to her :noway:

anyway lol I'm sure stress and depression or anything to close to that won't help your condition. So I say enjoy everything you used to but when you have to take it easy, take it easy. Can I just ask, are you meant to bedridden?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Big thing to deal with, If you have a pc then play something like an MMO online. massive time sink and you can make friends from all over the world or just play on your own. No need for you to disclose the leukemia and you can just be you. College will still be there after you get better, so dont worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    hmu fam, skype: louie.knox

chat **** on kik if you got it, green.clouds
    PM for number (or just chat balls there, w/e)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Wuddup Phiiiiiil :gangster:

1st of all I'm so sorry and I pray you recover from this :jumphug:

Spoiler:
    Show

also I was in year 8 and knew this girl who was so nice and popular right and then she disappeared for like months and then came back in the middle of the yr attached to a drip, with an aid, and all her hair was gone and the stitching on er head was visible. Turns out she had a brain tumour. Well the girls who used to speak to her when she started convo with them like normal they were just nasty to her :noway:

anyway lol I'm sure stress and depression or anything to close to that won't help your condition. So I say enjoy everything you used to but when you have to take it easy, take it easy. Can I just ask, are you meant to bedridden?
    I'm not bedridden no but some days I can hardly move. I have improved my blood levels so I can catch the bus to the cinema and back but other than that I can't do much when I'm out (at the moment). I had friends from college but they have been dicks to me before, it has made me sad at times but why would I want to be friends with dicks.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Big thing to deal with, If you have a pc then play something like an MMO online. massive time sink and you can make friends from all over the world or just play on your own. No need for you to disclose the leukemia and you can just be you. College will still be there after you get better, so dont worry about that.
    Yeah I don't like disclosing it to people online, I have made that mistake before and people just want to talk about that, it's rubbish. Thank you for the advice.
    (Original post by louieee)
    hmu fam, skype: louie.knox

chat **** on kik if you got it, green.clouds
    PM for number (or just chat balls there, w/e)
    I'll add you on Skype man, thank you for getting in contact

ReputationRep:
    I can't really offer much here but I hope you get through this difficult period in life, when we are in our darkest hours we will find the people who really do care about us.

This is rare from me, but -hug- :hugs:

We can be friends

ReputationRep:
    I recommend buying the book 'Loving what is'. This book will change your life from miserable to extremely happy and fulfilled with what you are. Seriously recommend it. MUST READ!!!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'm not bedridden no but some days I can hardly move. I have improved my blood levels so I can catch the bus to the cinema and back but other than that I can't do much when I'm out (at the moment). I had friends from college but they have been dicks to me before, it has made me sad at times but why would I want to be friends with dicks.

Yeah I don't like disclosing it to people online, I have made that mistake before and people just want to talk about that, it's rubbish. Thank you for the advice.

I'll add you on Skype man, thank you for getting in contact
    Learning to cook or reading is not a bad thing
    these days you have access to the internet.
    the reason mmos can be really good is they let you explore places and build up social networks, even though in real life you dont have the physical abilities to go places. Ive known a number of people with cancerr who made friends and chose not to reveal what they were going through till much later. Ifc not everyone is nice, but you can be yourself anonymously. Its also soemthing you cna play 24hrs a day, so good if you cnat sleep and there are always other players about.

ReputationRep:
    Pets can be greatly interesting and can be played with within the House. You can try it with a cat, just a piece of string can be dangled in front of the cat or kitten and it will chase the string as if it were a Mouse. Or if you get a Puppy you can throw a small ball for it to catch and bring to you. Or you could train an intelligent Dog to learn words, such as say get a German Shepherd and teach it the names of different toys , such as octupus and Sp0rky the Lion for difference kinds of toys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    We can be friends
    Thank you

(Original post by STRANGER2)
    I recommend buying the book 'Loving what is'. This book will change your life from miserable to extremely happy and fulfilled with what you are. Seriously recommend it. MUST READ!!!
    I will have a look at what it is, thank you.

Learning to cook or reading is not a bad thing
    these days you have access to the internet.
    the reason mmos can be really good is they let you explore places and build up social networks, even though in real life you dont have the physical abilities to go places. Ive known a number of people with cancerr who made friends and chose not to reveal what they were going through till much later. Ifc not everyone is nice, but you can be yourself anonymously. Its also soemthing you cna play 24hrs a day, so good if you cnat sleep and there are always other players about.
    I don't have a gaming pc but I have a ps4 so I'll try and see what mmos I'll be interested in. I'm not really a massive gamer anyway but I'll take your advice on board... Thank you for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsedobbin)
    Pets can be greatly interesting and can be played with within the House. You can try it with a cat, just a piece of string can be dangled in front of the cat or kitten and it will chase the string as if it were a Mouse. Or if you get a Puppy you can throw a small ball for it to catch and bring to you. Or you could train an intelligent Dog to learn words, such as say get a German Shepherd and teach it the names of different toys , such as octupus and Sp0rky the Lion for difference kinds of toys.
    I have a pet but sadly he's getting old and isn't very playful now

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm so sorry to hear you have cancer. The vast majority of us on here are decent and kind and we are here for you if you ever need to talk. x

ReputationRep:
    Hi Phil, I'm sorry to hear about your current situation. :hugs:

I'm sure there are charities out there for you, which can help provide a lot of social support for people going through what you're currently dealing with. There are charities which organise weekly or monthly meet ups, days out or holidays, for young people currently living with cancer. Have you ever looked into something like that?

I know its not ideal in a way because you might feel you just want to do normal things, and meet people without the weight of your current diagnosis?

But they may be helpful, it will guarantee you can meet people, and it might be helpful meeting people who are in a similar situation to yourself and so understand what you're going through.

I know a friend of mine works for a sailing charity for youths who are dealing with leukaemia, and she spent the summer going on sailing holidays with them. So I'm sure there are things out there which might appeal to you?

ReputationRep:
    Add me on Skype if you want to talk; I'm a massive film buff. (jasaronbajwa)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Hi. I'm so sorry to hear you have cancer. The vast majority of us on here are decent and kind and we are here for you if you ever need to talk. x
    Thank you

(Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Hi Phil, I'm sorry to hear about your current situation. :hugs:

I'm sure there are charities out there for you, which can help provide a lot of social support for people going through what you're currently dealing with. There are charities which organise weekly or monthly meet ups, days out or holidays, for young people currently living with cancer. Have you ever looked into something like that?

I know its not ideal in a way because you might feel you just want to do normal things, and meet people without the weight of your current diagnosis?

But they may be helpful, it will guarantee you can meet people, and it might be helpful meeting people who are in a similar situation to yourself and so understand what you're going through.

I know a friend of mine works for a sailing charity for youths who are dealing with leukaemia, and she spent the summer going on sailing holidays with them. So I'm sure there are things out there which might appeal to you?
    Thank you. I'll take your advice on the matter, hopefully I can meet people who are like me.
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    Add me on Skype if you want to talk; I'm a massive film buff. (jasaronbajwa)
    I will do so. It'll be cool to talk to another film geek
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Did I ask whether you were averse to joining a support group or would you wnat to be as far away from contact with other people in your situation as possible?

If you like films then its a great time to widen your tastes, in particular foreign language films and other genres. Syaty making a list of things you would like to do.

ReputationRep:
    Did I ask whether you were averse to joining a support group or would you wnat to be as far away from contact with other people in your situation as possible?

If you like films then its a great time to widen your tastes, in particular foreign language films and other genres. Syaty making a list of things you would like to do.
    I would rather just make some friends with people who have things in common with me really...

And I do like foreign language films lol, seen many like City of God, Pusher etc. Thank you for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend things like playing an instrument, learning a language, etc. They aren't as instant-reward as video games, but they make you feel more fulfilled in the long run. But as mentioned earlier, MMO games do help find friends with common interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0zzu)
    I recommend things like playing an instrument, learning a language, etc. They aren't as instant-reward as video games, but they make you feel more fulfilled in the long run. But as mentioned earlier, MMO games do help find friends with common interest.
    I have been thinking of learning something new, I'm currently doing a web design course too but that is just to further my learning while at home in ICT. I'd love to do something like that on the side - thank you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2016
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.