Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to art school in September to study a BA in Graphic Design.Wondered what are peoples opinions/experiences of art schools? I visited alot of universitys and thought the art departments weren't too good, very small, unorganized tutors and not a very high standard of work, when I went for an interview at art school it seemed completly different a large relaxed open plan studio, relaxed tutors who were much more interested in the work I had to show than trying to shove current students work down my throat.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like you've made the right choice by opting to go for the art school. In my opinion the best learning environment is the one that suits you best, and it sounds like your choice will suit you fine. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    i hope you don't mind me asking, but which art school is it?
    I'm currently an A level art:graphics student and i was thinking about continuing at degree level....also, which other universities did you apply to, oh and did you do a foundation course beforehand?

sorry if i seem so nosy, but it's just i'm getting really anxious about the whole 'what am i going to do after my a levels?' since i'll have sort out my ucas application once i get back to college...and in response to your actual question; i think that it depends on personal preference whether an art school or a university is better - personally i feel that i'd be better suited to being at a university as the thought of being in a place where there are only art students strangely bothers me, i'm not sure why (but that's a silly thing to say so ignore it)...

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 so I'm a mature student and hadn't studied any art or design before, so was a bit worried when it came to presenting my work as nobody had given me any critique before.

I'm going to Norwich School, other places I applied for were, Lincoln, Anglia ruskin and Leicester DMU.

Leicester DMU was a tiny art department in a skyscraper with a tutor who said something along the lines of "why the hell do you want to come and live in leicester"

I get what you're saying about being around only art students, but I'm not going to be living in their halls so I should be pretty safe.. haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steveoyo)
    I'm 22 so I'm a mature student and hadn't studied any art or design before, so was a bit worried when it came to presenting my work as nobody had given me any critique before.

I'm going to Norwich School, other places I applied for were, Lincoln, Anglia ruskin and Leicester DMU.

Leicester DMU was a tiny art department in a skyscraper with a tutor who said something along the lines of "why the hell do you want to come and live in leicester"

I get what you're saying about being around only art students, but I'm not going to be living in their halls so I should be pretty safe.. haha
    lol...
    it's funny you mention lincoln cause i'm thinking of applying there, i liked their prospectus and i've got the one from norwich too...but everyone on here keeps talking about anglia ruskin so i may have to check that place out...

at the moment i'm thinking of doing a foundation year at wimbledon school of art (i live in surrey and its quite close) and then hopefully attempting to get into central st martins...

i wish you all the luck in norwich, the prospectus does look good...have a great three years...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2007

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.