Poll: Should this amendment be passed into the Guidance Document?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (36)
80%
On the contrary, No (8)
17.78%
Abstain (1)
2.22%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
VA169 – Involvement Amendment
Proposed by: Quamquam123 MP (Lab)
Seconded by: joecphillips MP (Lib), CoffeeGeek MP (Con), cranbrook_aspie MP (Soc), Unown Uzer MP (UKIP), JoeL1994 MP (Lab), cBay MP (Soc), Airmed MP (Lib), notneb MP (Lab), balanced MP (UKIP), Aph MP (Soc), Kay_Winters MP (Lab), Sycatonne23 MP (Con), TitanCream MP (Lib), Kyx MP (Lib), SoggyCabbages MP (Lab)

Involvement Amendment

This House shall adjust the Guidance Document as follows:

In the Guidance Document, amend clause 6 of the General Elections section from:

6) During elections unsolicited PMs cannot be sent to members of TSR who are not a member of the same party as the sender, this includes campaigning for votes and telling people to go and vote.

to:

6) During elections unsolicited PMs cannot be sent to members of TSR who are not a member of the same party as the sender, this includes campaigning for votes and telling people to go and vote. However, the Speaker may request the Community Team to send out a mass PM on behalf of the Speaker, encouraging people to vote in the General Election.

Notes:

This amendment aims to get more people involved in General Elections and the MHoC in general through the Community Team (on behalf of the Speaker) sending out PMs to all TSR members.

The termly General Election is the highlight of the MHoC calendar and an event which can often involve classic debates between the competing parties. Unfortunately the turnout has decreased in recent elections with the lowest turnout ever in the one just gone. The use of a Mass PM brings with it a range of benefits. One major one is that it isn’t just a contest of which party has got the most members. In real life everyone who meets the criteria is eligible to vote and a general election without any publicity would be madness. The Mass PM would make General Elections a lot more realistic. Another major benefit is that it attracts new members to the MHoC. The GE Mass PM would help to get more members involved in the MHoC and alert them of its existence.There are several reasons why someone may not get involved in the MHoC. One maybe that they simply don’t have an interest in politics and don’t want to join. These people may not join under any circumstances and that’s absolutely fine. Another reason may be because someone doesn’t have enough time. This is also completely understandable as the MHoC has a habit of being rather addictive but in the general PM, the Speaker may wish to stress the fact that the MHoC is not a serious commitment. Another reason might be because people simply don’t know of the MHoC’s existence. This message therefore would really benefit these people and may encourage them to investigate further. Some other reasons why someone might not join the MHoC are because they don’t feel they have a good enough understanding of politics, they don’t know how the MHoC works or they are a bit nervous about the animated members of the House. As long as the message is well put together, it could significantly boost the health of the MHoC.

The word ‘spamming’ crops up whenever Mass PMs are mentioned but this simply isn’t the case. Sending a message about General Elections once every 6 months is hardly going to clog up someone’s inbox but it could seriously reap rewards in terms of activity in the MHoC - attracting new members, improving General Election turnout and making the House a more vibrant place to debate.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye. Although could you clarify the systematic approach to assembling the mailing list?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zayn008)
Aye. Although could you clarify the systematic approach to assembling the mailing list?
Speaker asks CT to send it, CT sends it to everybody, nobody turns up.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just to check: has Airmed already voted on this?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Just to check: has Airmed already voted on this?
Can't be told, but almost certainly not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Speaker asks CT to send it, CT sends it to everybody, nobody turns up.
I take it you won't be voting in favour? I think with targeted PMs this could work
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zayn008)
I take it you won't be voting in favour? I think with targeted PMs this could work
They don't need to be targeted, it's not like there is a restricted budget that necessitates targeting.

Really turnout depends on two things: overall activity, which is low, look pretty much anywhere on the site, or anywhere relevant (D&CA, particularly UK politics); the other thing is general political engagement, and frankly there isn't much going on to drive that engagement, at least in the right direction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They don't need to be targeted, it's not like there is a restricted budget that necessitates targeting.

Really turnout depends on two things: overall activity, which is low, look pretty much anywhere on the site, or anywhere relevant (D&CA, particularly UK politics); the other thing is general political engagement, and frankly there isn't much going on to drive that engagement, at least in the right direction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most of it is in the left direction on this site. Surprised no one has asked to form a momentum party in this house. Let's just hope they don't find us.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Irrespective of other factors, if the Mass PM is reintroduced, it will boost turnout. We may not see 1000 people voting like a few years ago, but there will certainly be more than the measly turnout at the last GE.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd be amazed if this didn't pass with that army of seconders tbh
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I'd be amazed if this didn't pass with that army of seconders tbh
The army is ready to start riots and throw Mr Whiskers (be it alive or dead) off a bridge if this doesn't pass. :mob:

RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
The army is ready to start riots and throw Mr Whiskers (be it alive or dead) off a bridge if this doesn't pass. :mob:

Lol, it probably passed. Let the cat live.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Lol, it probably passed. Let the cat live.
Life_peer will inevitably correct me on this but I have a feeling it may have been slaughtered in Crisis 6.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ayes to the right: 36
Noes to the left: 8
Abstentions: 1

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 90%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (11)
9.24%
Disagree (6)
5.04%
Neither agree or disagree (40)
33.61%
Agree (45)
37.82%
Strongly Agree (17)
14.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise