The Student Room Group

Cute guy asked me out but I'm 20 & he's 37 - too big of an age gap?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If a 37 year old man dated my 20 year old daughter I would find him a chop his balls off I don't give a **** mate.
Reply 21
lmao **** no.... unless he's a millionaire which i doubt
No. I'm not sure but I think he wants a sexual relationship. It would be weird dating a guy who has a son and old enough to be married.
Also I can't really seeing the relationship working unless you want to plan being a young mom to child who isn't even yours. If you do plan on having sex with him, there's a possibility you might get pregnant and would be an awkward situation to have a babby daddy 17 older than you.

I don't know the details or anything. I just assuming what he wants.
run *****, ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun
Reply 24
:wink: whats even more disgusting is u still using 'rofl'
Original post by isphex
This guy who comes into my place of work every now & then finally plucked up the courage to ask me out & I knew he was older (he has a young son too) which I was willing to handle but we've been texting recently & he's nice even though some of things he says makes me want to hit myself in the face with a wall but a 17 year gap sounds ridiculous right? Normally I'd be like at least one date before deciding but the last thing I ever want to do is mess someone around or hurt anyone. He's just text me now saying he "thinks I'm lovely, has for ages & there's no pressure blah blah blah. We should go on a couple dates first then decide & had a bad run this year & just wants to meet someone new etc etc." Guilt trip much? Conflicted. This is why I hate relationships. Help? Opinions?

Steer well clear - you take on him and you take on the mother of his son too. Enjoy someone your own age. " bad run" " says things that make me want to hit myself" - look at what you are saying before even going on a date
Original post by CarysJSLewis
I think you should be wary. Yes, a couple of innocent dates could be fun, but as someone else said, you're at completely different stages of life. Personally I'd go for someone closer to your age, someone you can relate to. Just stay safe. The last thing we want is to read a post in a few months saying that it went wrong and you're in trouble

At last someone talking sense on this website!

There's a similar age gap between me and my boyfriend and we're amazing together. No one can make a blanket statement and assume he only wants her for sex or whatever when they only know a handful of things about both individuals. Not every 37 year old man is the same and not every 20 year old woman is the same.

OP - do what makes you happy, if you like him give him a chance and see what happens.
Tbh, it's likely that he would use his power over you because of the age gap.

I personally would think carefully about it, especially when there is a child involved.

You're better off with someone whose around the 20s as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sund1ata
She is an adult and if that's what she wants, why the scaremongering? There are a lot of big babies on this forum. Do you think he's after deep and meaningful conversation? There's nowt wrong with sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She doesn't yet know if that's what she wants otherwise she wouldn't have posted the thread. We don't know what he is after. If lots of people are of similar opinion it doesn't mean they are big babies maybe the people saying go for it are being naive who knows we don't know him. I know that my 34 year old female cousin was asked out by a 19 year old lad, his mum was very protective and thought it was odd with them being at different stages of life. Some people just feel that at 19 someone is still not mature enough for large age gap relationships. It's matter of opinion I guess whether they are or not.
Original post by smelopi
If a 37 year old man dated my 20 year old daughter I would find him a chop his balls off I don't give a **** mate.

My 34 year old cousin was asked out by a 19 year old lad they went for a few drinks but his mum wasn't happy at all :tongue:
Reply 30
sure
Reply 31
Original post by 0to100
you really can't judge people based on age as long as both are adults so if you're saying what I think you're saying I agree that it's immature to jump to that kinda conclusion

In addition, I also think a lot of people opposing the relationship are very likely being hypocritical ...as most of them at some stage growing up would have had a crush on an older guy/girl that the age "formula" didn't agree with

I mean hands up who didn't ever have a crush on a teacher, or member of a girl group or boyband, ... or random guy/girl at the bus stop

hands up if you're a 14/15 year old girl and would turn down a member of one direction if they asked you out?

true if a 14 year old girl asked me if it would be a good idea to get into a relationship with a 22 year old guy I would say no probably not

true if my sister at age 14 asked me if it would be a good idea to get into a relationship with a 22 year old guy I would be like HELL NO!

but if a 22 year old woman asked me out at age 14 would I have said yes?
hell yes [if she was attractive]

seeing as I realize my hypocrisy I try to avoid advising underage users.
Most people on here though don't acknowledge their hypocrisy in the advice they give.

I wonder how much single 20 year old guys on this forum would turn down this woman if she asked them out on a date:

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=50365420

not that many most likely

Spoiler

Original post by ANM775
In addition, I also think a lot of people opposing the relationship are very likely being hypocritical ...as most of them at some stage growing up would have had a crush on an older guy/girl that the age "formula" didn't agree with

I mean hands up who didn't ever have a crush on a teacher, or member of a girl group or boyband, ... or random guy/girl at the bus stop

hands up if you're a 14/15 year old girl and would turn down a member of one direction if they asked you out?

true if a 14 year old girl asked me if it would be a good idea to get into a relationship with a 22 year old guy I would say no probably not

true if my sister at age 14 asked me if it would be a good idea to get into a relationship with a 22 year old guy I would be like HELL NO!

but if a 22 year old woman asked me out at age 14 would I have said yes?
hell yes [if she was attractive]

seeing as I realize my hypocrisy I try to avoid advising underage users.
Most people on here though don't acknowledge their hypocrisy in the advice they give.

I wonder how much single 20 year old guys on this forum would turn down this woman if she asked them out on a date:

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=50365420

not that many most likely

Spoiler

don't take what people say on here too seriously, in real life people aren't so vocal about the same petty stuff they speak against on here. Many people on here just arbitrarily type what they think is socially acceptable. I think there's a little bug in people where they get online and try to pretend they oppose traditions, one tradition being a young woman with an older man.
Reply 33
Original post by 0to100
don't take what people say on here too seriously, in real life people aren't so vocal about the same petty stuff they speak against on here. Many people on here just arbitrarily type what they think is socially acceptable. I think there's a little bug in people where they get online and try to pretend they oppose traditions, one tradition being a young woman with an older man.

True,

with dating people often say one one thing when asked, but when it actually comes to crunch time ..they'll do the complete opposite.
Original post by ANM775
True,

with dating people often say one one thing when asked, but when it actually comes to crunch time ..they'll do the complete opposite.

yea because people dont wanna ruin their chances of getting someone by exposing how they really feel, but then they realise they can't actually keep lying if they do want someone. it's just easier to lie online.

Spoiler

I've dated someone with a similar age gap. It didn't work. We had virtually nothing in common and he was desparate by the sound of things. He was also very clingy and controlling.
Reply 37
Just about scrapes in with the 1/2 age + 7 rule so go for it if you're up for it. He's a dirty horse, mind
Reply 38
Original post by Zarek
Just about scrapes in with the 1/2 age + 7 rule so go for it if you're up for it. He's a dirty horse, mind

37/2 +7 =25.5
Reply 39
Original post by ANM775
37/2 +7 =25.5

My mistake! He's a double dirty horse. Don't do it..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending