The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

how dangerous is manchester to live in as a student ?

Not going into details, but I was nearly sexually assaulted whilst out in Manchester and I'm a girl. If I can't really go out alone at all in Manchester, I'm really not that keen on living there and going to the university. How does this danger factor compare in birmingham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As a Manc i might be biased in saying Manchester really isn't as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be. I was walking and taking the bus to and fro school, from age 11 to 14 sometimes in pitch darkness in winter, without any issues whatsoever. As long as you stay clear of the 'dodgy' areas, (you'll have no need to go there anyway) then you'll be as safe as you would be anywhere else in England.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Kokoloko
As a Manc i might be biased in saying Manchester really isn't as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be. I was walking and taking the bus to and fro school, from age 11 to 14 sometimes in pitch darkness in winter, without any issues whatsoever. As long as you stay clear of the 'dodgy' areas, (you'll have no need to go there anyway) then you'll be as safe as you would be anywhere else in England.

Thank you!! This was really helpful :smile: I guess maybe I was in a dodgy area and I didnt even know ahahaha :smile: I really liked Manchester as a city and I'm debating whether or not to go there but hey ho
Original post by APersonYo
Thank you!! This was really helpful :smile: I guess maybe I was in a dodgy area and I didnt even know ahahaha :smile: I really liked Manchester as a city and I'm debating whether or not to go there but hey ho

lmao manny is not dangerous at all overall

moss side and wythenshawe thats it but thats only due to bad press, maybe some salford areas from what some mates have said over the years about their particular experiences

manny is mostly yuppies and hispters, it's gentrified all over in its major areas with some working class areas left but how mancs carry themselves nowadays you'd probably not know by sight. i feel like the student night life is a classic image and profit for the city.
Reply 4
Original post by 0to100
lmao manny is not dangerous at all overall

moss side and wythenshawe thats it but thats only due to bad press, maybe some salford areas from what some mates have said over the years about their particular experiences

manny is mostly yuppies and hispters, it's gentrified all over in its major areas with some working class areas left but how mancs carry themselves nowadays you'd probably not know by sight. i feel like the student night life is a classic image and profit for the city.

I nearly got assaulted outside this morrisons around northern quarter?? Is that a dodgy area? There was a pub near this morrisons. It was quite dark
I nearly got assaulted outside this morrisons around northern quarter?? Is that a dodgy area? There was a pub near this morrisons. It was quite dark

what do u mean nearly and what do u mean by assault
and where exacly in norhtern 1/4, I've been out there a handful of times and Ive been alright but those narrow alleys at like tib st for instance can look dodgy if ur wits arent about you
if we start listing places we'll be here all day, there's good people and scum everywhere, just be careful is all
overall you'll be fine I think
Reply 6
dem man don't crash corn
Well I don't want to scare you... But half of the student accommodation is located in Moss side which is one of the most Dangerous places in the Uk for gangs and the like.
Madchester is more dangerous than Birmingham if crime stats are to be believed @APersonYo

However like everyone is saying you should be alright as long as you take the usual precautions that you would in any other large city and don't get involved with any dodgy stuff
(edited 7 years ago)

You mean near Piccadilly Gardens, near to the Mcdonalds, yeah I would stay out of that area at night unless you are with a group.
Reply 10
Original post by 0to100
what do u mean nearly and what do u mean by assault
and where exacly in norhtern 1/4, I've been out there a handful of times and Ive been alright but those narrow alleys at like tib st for instance can look dodgy if ur wits arent about you
if we start listing places we'll be here all day, there's good people and scum everywhere, just be careful is all
overall you'll be fine I think

I mean nearly because I ran for my life ahaha. There was an alley nearby to be honest.
Reply 11
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Well I don't want to scare you... But half of the student accommodation is located in Moss side which is one of the most Dangerous places in the Uk for gangs and the like.

I love the city. I just couldn't risk living near somewhere dangerous. Like I'm only scared because of the assault incident
Manchester is as safe or as dangerous as any big city. Just need to make sensible decisions in terms of no go areas/times.
I mean nearly because I ran for my life ahaha. There was an alley nearby to be honest.

ran from what O____O
I love the city. I just couldn't risk living near somewhere dangerous. Like I'm only scared because of the assault incident

To be honest I'm not just saying this because I am a Manc, but it is as good as any other City in the UK, were you on your own when you were assaulted?
Reply 15
Original post by 0to100
ran from what O____O

Well... my friend went to go take a piss in the alley way and I waited outside it near the morrisons and there was a pub on the corner near the alley way. So I was just standing outside this morrisons and this dodgy guy walked by and I instantly thought ' ew what a weirdo'. Then he started approaching me and I instantly **** myself and ran around the corner somewhat into the alley nearby the pub. He then started walking closer to me while I was in the alley and I just stood there spooked and then some people at the pub noticed so I went over to the lady at the pub and she said that if he had done anything they would have all jumped him. It just really freaked me out because my friend kept telling me about how one of the parks in Manchester is notorious for rape or something. I mean, the creepy guy said he approached me because '' he wanted to know how much a pint was'' but its absolute BS because I swear most pints in manchester are like a quid??? After that, I got cat called. Quite stressful tbh.
I don't think it's any more or less dangerous than any other big city tbh and also depends where you live.

You should take the safety precautions you'd take in any big city and as a young person living away from home for perhaps the first time.

Stay with friends. Don't go out alone at night. Ensure your house is secure. Don't go home with strangers etc...
The usual safety precautions!
Take care!
Man needs to be tooled up ygm.
Reply 18
Original post by SCIENCE :D
To be honest I'm not just saying this because I am a Manc, but it is as good as any other City in the UK, were you on your own when you were assaulted?

I wasn't assaulted, I was nearly assaulted.
I wasn't assaulted, I was nearly assaulted.

Ah right, anyway yeah... steer clear of that area in future when it's dark, unless you are with someone.

Quick Reply

Latest