The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

how dangerous is manchester to live in as a student ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Yes it is sad, I try and give a little change to a homeless guy on the way to Uni if I can. I think that everyone should at least smile and say a couple of words to homeless people, it annoys me when people just completely ignore them like they are not even human, even if it is to say I haven't got any change, a lot of them will be content with the fact that you have even acknowledged them...Sad,sad stuff :frown:.

It's strange because homelessness can happen to anyone.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Yes it is strange, but I don't know the location of the canals in Birmingham. In Manchester there are a lot of canals close to busy drinking areas, but then again there are canals which are in quiet areas where it would be easy to push someone in and get away with it.

I certainly think that some of the cases maybe murder, but I don't think it is a serial killer.
Original post by APersonYo
It's strange because homelessness can happen to anyone.

exactly; did u know most homelessness is due to job loss? :P
Mancunian here - load of **** if you ask me. A lot of the victims are drunk people who've been kicked out of clubs or who've been at gigs, parties etc. They're always pulling people out of the River Avon in Bath and you see similar cases up and down the country. If you fall in, particularly at this time of year, you aren't getting out.

Sure a few of them may well be suspicious, but it's ludicrous to suggest there's a serial killer roaming the city who's been active for years and not one victim has survived/escaped.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
I've lived in manchester my whole life, and studied at uni there for 4 years.

some of the student areas are dangerous in my opinion. theres a lot of sexual assaults and rapes in the areas around student houses and also in the city centre. however, it seems that they are predominantly against females who are out alone in deserted areas in the early hours of the morning, so there are ways of keeping yourself safe.

other than that i'd say manchester is safe on the crime front. there are areas that are a bit dodge but you wouldn't have any need to go there.

manchester is also really great for many things like nights out, food and culture.

so, in my opinion, it's a manageable risk and i feel the perks of the city outweigh the danger
Original post by sr90
Mancunian here - load of **** if you ask me. A lot of the victims are drunk people who've been kicked out of clubs or who've been at gigs, parties etc. They're always pulling people out of the River Avon in Bath and you see similar cases up and down the country. If you fall in, particularly at this time of year, you aren't getting out.

Sure a few of them may well be suspicious, but it's ludicrous to suggest there's a serial killer roaming the city who's been active for years and not one victim has survived/escaped.

True, although if you exclusively choose ridiculously drunk/ drugged up people I bet you would be able to get away with it without much of a struggle going on

Original post by SCIENCE :D
Yes it is strange, but I don't know the location of the canals in Birmingham. In Manchester there are a lot of canals close to busy drinking areas, but then again there are canals which are in quiet areas where it would be easy to push someone in and get away with it.

I certainly think that some of the cases maybe murder, but I don't think it is a serial killer.

Fair enough, I don't know how the position of canals in Birmingham compares to how they are in Manchester, I only know that there's more canal in Birmingham than Manchester
Original post by egarna
I've lived in manchester my whole life, and studied at uni there for 4 years.

some of the student areas are dangerous in my opinion. theres a lot of sexual assaults and rapes in the areas around student houses and also in the city centre. however, it seems that they are predominantly against females who are out alone in deserted areas in the early hours of the morning, so there are ways of keeping yourself safe.

other than that i'd say manchester is safe on the crime front. there are areas that are a bit dodge but you wouldn't have any need to go there.

manchester is also really great for many things like nights out, food and culture.

so, in my opinion, it's a manageable risk and i feel the perks of the city outweigh the danger

Which areas are more dodgy? could u list a few that are nearer to the university accommodations if there are any?
Reply 47
Original post by Yahoogirl
Which areas are more dodgy? could u list a few that are nearer to the university accommodations if there are any?

Wythenshawe, Levenshulme, Longsight, Ardwick, Moston, Harpurhey, Newton Health.

Probs only Longsight is near uni accommodation
Original post by egarna
Wythenshawe, Levenshulme, Longsight, Ardwick, Moston, Harpurhey, Newton Health.

Probs only Longsight is near uni accommodation

I'm in Moston at the moment and it's a dump. I wouldn't go out at night unless I absolutely had to. Harpurhey and Collyhurst are nearby and they look like a set from the Walking Dead. I can't see why you'd visit as a student though.

Tbh just don't have valuables on display and you'll be ok. Every big city has some areas that aren't so nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending