Why did we evolve to procrastinate? Watch

Hamo2509
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have procrastinated on a really important piece of work, and it got me thinking, why have human beings evolved this behaviour?
I'm even procrastinating further by starting this discussion. Surely it must have some evolutionary benefit?
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To be able to work under pressure
UWS
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Laziness :dontknow:
Kravence
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hamo2509)
I have procrastinated on a really important piece of work, and it got me thinking, why have human beings evolved this behaviour?
I'm even procrastinating further by starting this discussion. Surely it must have some evolutionary benefit?
Creativity?
Angry Bird
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
that's the million dollar question
tomtjl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hamo2509)
It's probably not a product of biological evolution, but more of societal evolution. Since the society we live in provides us with our basic needs (food, water, shelter and sex) we have no biological need to work anymore, everything we need can be obtained within minutes. With no need to work for our base desires (which are the top priority for the survival of a species) the lower level requirements have no real basis to be done. If we know that we can survive no matter what then we have no biological drive to do that work. Then, when it gets to 2 hours before your essay is due, you realise that you need to finish this essay in order to graduate uni which will get you a better job which will give you money which you need for your basic needs, you crap yourself and write the entire thing last minute .
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think TSR is more to blame than evoloution :P
Vladimir1988
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i see Elementary)))
username2834970
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's not how evolution works.

We humans have a reward system, where some endorphins are released when you do something pleasurable. You'll see with children sometimes they do not grasp the concept of waiting for a reward, such as an experiment where children would always chose to eat the candy in front of them, even though waiting would gain them two candies. They want immediate gratification as they do not yet grasp the concept of waiting.

Procrastination is like this, where you want immediate pleasure such as watching a cat video or something instead of doing homework as it is better than doing boring work, even though meeting deadlines would destress you a lot. It's basically the manipulation of this reward system.

There's an interesting TED talk that goes into detail about this:

Also I should stop procrastinating talking about procrastinating and do my homework. >.<
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (31)
11.03%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.56%
No, but I want to start (104)
37.01%
No, I am unable to (59)
21%
No, I chose not to (77)
27.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise