Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just done my GCSEs and have chosen biology, chemistry, economics, spanish and French...

...I've heard the transition from GCSE to AS is really huge...

so could people who are doing/have done these AS subjects please explain how hard the transition is to AS/???

:confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    sorry to barge in on this thread..but can i have similar help?

with history, human biology + physics (i took double science @ GCSE and got AA because i REALLY ****ed up biology D and computing (i took ICT but know a lot haha)

ReputationRep:
    I did Chemistry, Biology and History for AS so I can give you some help.

Chemistry: There is not really a huge step up, the concepts are not particularly difficult to understand and there is not that much to learn. However it is a lot harder at A2.

Biology: It is quite a lot harder than GCSE, a huge amount to learn and you cover topics that you have never come across before.

History: It is a massive step up. With GCSEs the style of the essay was pretty irrelevant but with AS you have to write good essays as well as getting the points. It is more like real history than GCSE; you have to use your knowledge to back up your points but you are allowed to argue whatever you want.

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    I think that the 'huge step up' from GCSE to AS is quite misleading. Of course, many subjects are going to be harder, but you will get used to it, and it will seem second nature to you. Don't worry, you will be fine....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    people take the 'step up' from gcse to As differently. In fact, some people were much more suited As level style than gcse. Anyway, although the subjects do get harder it's not necessarily a negative thing...it will be a challenge but if you are interested in the subject then it should be a good rather than bad experience.

Good luck for next year!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I found the transition in certain subjects; the majority of them to be massive. English Language for example, is nothing like how it is at GCSE; there is a mass of terminology that needs to be learnt and History requires completely new skills; essay writing and developed interpretation. French was the most difficult, but that was probably because I didn't like the subject, it was all very grammar focused. The worse bit at AS level was the fact that I had no coursework to fall back on (except for Language).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    The worse bit at AS level was the fact that I had no coursework to fall back on (except for Language).
    :P I can't say whether I think that's a good thing or not haha. Our physics teacher is saying it's so much better - spend 10 hours on a coursework, or 1 hour on an exam, and I think it does make a lot of sense But I will miss going into the exam with a good % already though (Especially in DT and IT where I only needed about 50% in the exams for an A* )

ReputationRep:
    i did chem and bio at AS.
    chemistry: if you do separate sciences at gcse, transition is made a lot easier. since its the holidays still, see if you can get AS 'headstart' books and learn from that before you go. it helps a lot, trust me. i found it a huge step up though, even with the extra help i was giving myself. stuff like molar ratios and reaction conditions

biology: same as chemistry, but biology is more based on memorising faacts and prcoesses and is less mathematical.

Then again, if you want to narrow that gap even more, and you know that you want to do those subjects - get the textbooks themselves. nothing stopping you from learning befor e you get there

hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkchelsea)
    I think that the 'huge step up' from GCSE to AS is quite misleading. Of course, many subjects are going to be harder, but you will get used to it, and it will seem second nature to you. Don't worry, you will be fine....
    :dito:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to ditto the above ditto...

ReputationRep:
    It'll be fine. The largest step up (in my subjects) I found was going from GCSE German to AS-level. So that should probably mirror with French. The individual bio modules are a lot more detailed than the GCSE spec too.

ReputationRep:
    AS is only hard at the start...then it becomes bearable - just like school does every year once you are back in routine and are working consistently...by the end of the year you will look back and be like "i can't believe i thought that was even slightly hard before"....it's all a matter of time - chill you still got like a week off!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by E-f-F-e-R-v-E-s-C-e-N-c-E)
    AS is only hard at the start...then it becomes bearable - just like school does every year once you are back in routine and are working consistently...by the end of the year you will look back and be like "i can't believe i thought that was even slightly hard before"....it's all a matter of time - chill you still got like a week off!
    :dito: except for I wouldn't go as far at to say you'd look back and think "wow that was easy", but hey.

(Original post by Zygroth)
    I can't say whether I think that's a good thing or not haha.
    As for questioning the advantages of coursework, 10 hours as opposed to a 1/2 hour exam is a worthwhile sacrifice; especially if it results in drastically boosting up your UMS. When under pressure in an exam, you don't always perform to the best of your ability; exams are so unpredictable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    i did chem and bio at AS.
    chemistry: if you do separate sciences at gcse, transition is made a lot easier. since its the holidays still, see if you can get AS 'headstart' books and learn from that before you go. it helps a lot, trust me. i found it a huge step up though, even with the extra help i was giving myself. stuff like molar ratios and reaction conditions

biology: same as chemistry, but biology is more based on memorising faacts and prcoesses and is less mathematical.

Then again, if you want to narrow that gap even more, and you know that you want to do those subjects - get the textbooks themselves. nothing stopping you from learning befor e you get there

hope this helps.

yeah thanks for the tips...however, i only did double science at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Thats what all my GCSE teachers said to me! But i didnt find there was a huge jump. Just make sure you keep up with the workload and try your best.

Of course the subjects are in alot more detail but your teachers will help you move from GCSE to AS Level and the different ways to answer questions etc.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the bigger jump is from As --> A2. Caught me totally off gaurd heh.

ReputationRep:
    It's only hard when you start worrying because everyone else is worrying that it may be hard!!!
    At GCSE with so many subjects I put in little effort so that I could get round to all my subjects, and if you compare that effort with the effort needed for one of your ASs then the difference is pretty big.
    You've just got to realise that you'll need more time per subject and you'll be fine!
    Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    what about maths? huge step up from higher tier? i got an A but have forgotten the A* work that we did at gcse. would it be retaught? or do you not need it for AS?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El-Taji)
    what about maths? huge step up from higher tier? i got an A but have forgotten the A* work that we did at gcse. would it be retaught? or do you not need it for AS?
    thanks
    just go over your algebra, equations and stuff like that and you should be fine wiht maths.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.