Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello...!

My brother-in-law is working in a bank in India (in commodities). He is allowing me to work with him but without any proof that I worked with him.

here Proof means no signature and no letter to say that I worked with him.

(I am interested in Stock markets...)

so what do u say should I spend a week with him going to the bank or leave this opportunity?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    dev, obv take it! why waste a chance to learn and put it on ur cv.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do it...though you may run into a spot of trouble if you get a 'proper' internship with the background check...that is, if you list it along with your work exp.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Surya...

Mate...there will be no authentication...so should i still go for it??

ReputationRep:
    yes. go for it and learn as much as possible. dont go to simply put it down on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    there will be no authentication...so should i still go for it??

ReputationRep:
    If you work for them for a week - Why are they so reluctant to say that you worked for them if it came to a background check? Are they ashamed of you or somthing?

ReputationRep:
    you could get ur bro-in-law to say it was by personal invitation for an insight experience

ReputationRep:
    i also asked him for nearly the same thing...he says that this bank only takes through college that is campus recruitment...
    so...what do u think...?

ReputationRep:
    you could just do it to get to know how a bit of the bank works and plus if you're just sitting at home then yes go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joy12)
    Hello...!

My brother-in-law is working in a bank in India (in commodities). He is allowing me to work with him but without any proof that I worked with him.

here Proof means no signature and no letter to say that I worked with him.

(I am interested in Stock markets...)

so what do u say should I spend a week with him going to the bank or leave this opportunity?

Thank you
    Yes this is work shadowing. You can easily put it into a CV, or a Personal statement for university etc. Work shadowing is a great asset to have as it shows you are interested and indeed you are wanting to get yourself out there.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like a great opportunity, definately take it, if only to increase your knowledge of/interest in IB.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is going to ask for written proof of your experiences - before you get the offer, at least. Great thing, do it, put it on yr personal statement / CV / cover letter, and move on.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's good to include in a cover letter if they ask you to state why you're interested in that particular field. You could say something along the lines of: "My interest in x has been spurred on by a recent workshadowing experience in y division...".

ReputationRep:
    thank you! everyone

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.