The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

...what?

i think it's pathetic that state school users try to 'take back' some of the success of private school students with the whole "lol their parents bought their success" line. no, that's not true. we work equally as hard as you do- please stop insulting us.

whilst we do get better opportunities to an extent, and that does help, we do study hard and i wish people would stop being so belittling.

i went to private school and got all A*s and As. if i went to state school, i'd probably have gotten the same. the reason i didn't go to state school was because of the bullying/suicide problem in our local state schools...
Reply 2
I go to a grammer school, Which is a state school obviously and got all A*s. I dont think going to private schools would massively increase your grades tbh.
Reply 3
I attended grammar-school, because I'm smart and lucky. I ended up with five 'A*'s and three 'A's, because I'm smart but unlucky [had I attended a state-school, my ensuing alienation and resentment probably would've motivated me to attain straight 'A*'s].

Not that I actually give a ****.
I go to a grammar school (a state school), incidentally very near to you
"essex123". I got 10A*s but I don't think going to a private/state school makes that much of a difference-a few of my friends from private and non provate schools got very similar results actually. Surely it matters more how much work you put in. xxx
Reply 5
I went to a run of the mill state school, and got 9 A*s, 1 A and 1 B. Its actually a really average/bad school, with some of the worst results in our area.
To be honest, I reckon it depends on the individual and how hard they work. Kids at private schools could have better teaching, more tuition and better opportunities, but they might choose to do nothing with it. Kids at state schools might have none of that, but work extremely hard to get to where they are now.
But generally, if a student does well, it means that they worked hard wherever they went.

Oh and public schools are actually more expensive private schools....places like Eton, where the royal family go. State schools are the normal schools that accept everybody. Just so you know lol!
Reply 6
I went to a below average comprehensive (I believe). They only had a 32% pass rate last year. We were only allowed to do 8 GCSEs and I got 4 A*s and 4 As.
Reply 7
I don't think school alone will make students get better grades; it is definitely up to the individual whether they do well or not. But I think it is easier for students to achieve their full potential if they go to a normal school, compared to if they go to a school where they only got half the lessons because of disrupting kids or something.
Reply 8
i go to a private school, and most people in my year got above 5 A*s, however i have friends who go to public schools too and they have got 9-10 A*s...

just because the quality of teaching is higher in a private school doesn't inhibit one's ability to learn...that's up to the individual.
Reply 9
I got 9 A* and an A and went to a normal comprehesive state school. I think so many factors such as quality of teachers, motivation of the pupils affect grades, that you can't solely say that going to a certain school will mean it is more like a person will get certain grades.
tbh all throughout my year 11 i mucked about in the classroom, never paid attention to the teachers, talked that sort of thing and still got 2 a*'s and 3 a's,(revised the whole maths and triple science sylabusses in the 2 weeks before the exams) and the reason, ME! not the teachers, ME! it all depends on the person i say.
Reply 11
The fact remains, as stated - that in a private school the teaching standards are higher, usually much less weird stuff happens (teachers disseapring/bad at teaching, aswell as students being more disciplined in learning - No, its not impossible to get good grades in a state school - but on average yes, you have less chance. On an individual basis, its not only pointless to talk about, its also irrepresentative (as some above have been doing so). Also, there is nothing to say that you don't work hard in private school, no one mentioned this so people should stop getting so defensive...
Reply 12
The problem is at a state school you don't get any real learning done for the first three years as the school is trying to weed out all the trouble makers. And even after that alot of lesson time is taken up by misbehavior.
I truly believe everyone could get A*s in all GCSEs if they tried hard enough. They are very easy. Just most of us are VERY lazy :smile:
I don't think it really matters whether you go to a state school or a private school. At the end of the day its all down to the persons ability and how much work they put into there gsces. I guess to some extent private school try and get the best grades possible because there's smaller classes and extra tuition but that's not to say that state school students aren't achieving just aswell. Even if state school teaching isn't as good as private education people still manage to achieve well.

Grammar schools have a bit more of an advantage though as you have to sit an entrance exam so your selected by ability so obviously grades at grammar schools will be better than whats expected at your average state school.
smurph
The problem is at a state school you don't get any real learning done for the first three years as the school is trying to weed out all the trouble makers. And even after that alot of lesson time is taken up by misbehavior.

I can agree with this to some extent, but however there are a small amount of state schools which are achieving grades which private schools are also achieving. I also believe that state schools and the students get stereotyped. State schools today aren't what they could be due to the large amount of students who choose to mess around rather than take part in there education and a lot of the time teachers have no control over these students so i'd say this is the main thing which is corrupting state schools.
I got all A* and went to one of the top schools in this country, yes of course a better quality of education helped, I probably would of done just as well in a crap school though as GCSEs are not hard, everyone can face that. Even if you messed up, it was probably your own fault.
its easier for people to get better grades at private school, but at the end of the day, the student gets what he puts in.

dont complain about your opputnites in life, everyone has inferior ops compared to some people. to put it bluntly, get over it. you cant change what you are given, so dont fret, just do the best you can. i dont complain that im not a savant who goes to eton. i wish i was, but i have no influence over it so wishing and stuff wont make any difference.
Reply 18
Well, I go to a private school and got all As/A*s. I went to state primary and middle schools and my friends who were at the same level as me and went to state high schools got almost the same grades, so it really doesn't matter!

The only differences I know of are that at our school a language is compulsary at GCSE, we have wider subject choices and a greater choice of sport. That and those of us who do well are in the majority so there's no p**s taking.

Its not true that there are no bad teachers or disrupted lessons, in biology our teacher was terrible, we never finished the history syllabus and I still managed an A* in both, purely through hard work and a little luck I suppose.
I go to a run-of-the-mill **** hole state school and i do presonally feel that people in grammar schools and public schools are advantaged. Not because theyre eduation is payed for or whatever but because the learning environment is better without as many interupptions from people who are only there because they have to be not because they want to. Does that make sense????

Tbh i wish i went to a grammar school, i might have done better. But as it is i didn't do too bad... did pretty well tbh.