Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Zygroth
Er...It puts you above the 970k other people doing GCSEs? :p:

There is only about ~350k people doing the GCSE's each year. :p:
Reply 81
Bexiness!
There is only about ~350k people doing the GCSE's each year. :p:

:mad: Now...Who said there were 1m people doing GCSEs every year...?
did anyone else see those statistics in The sunday Times where 51.5% of grammar school entries got A/A*, compared to 50.8% of private schools and -wait for it- 15.3% of comps. and people want to abolish grammar schools
incidently i go to a single sex grammar school and got 7A*,4 as
Reply 83
Yes, the Northern Ireland GCSE and A Level results were top in the UK, and our school system has academic selection. And they want to get rid of academic selection...
Reply 84
I think it all depends on who you are, not what sort of school you go to. I went to your bogstandard secondary school and got 8 A*s and 2 As - I think if I had gone to a private school the pressure might have put me off. As it was, the teachers at my school treated us as if we would be lucky to pass and that made me want to work harder. A lot of the work I did at home instead. I think whatever you put into your work is what you get out of it.

But the thing is, it's hard to find time to do ALL the work at home. Most private schools that I know of get kids involved in loads of extra curricular stuff and they do that with the school, instead of outside school like everyone at my school that does anything does.

I dance four nights a week and work two days, and then I have to do all the work my teachers can't be bothered to do too.

I'm certain there will be people that do a lot more than me and got much better results, but I felt I like there was the fake lesson time at school and then the lesson time at home, and it took twice as long to learn anything.
Zygroth
:mad: Now...Who said there were 1m people doing GCSEs every year...?

look at their ****ing website you bitch!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/news/congratulations.php

......I know its not 1 million, but the point is, huge amounts of people get all A*'s; the people with whom I am competing with!

just joking btw, i dont mean to be offensive, i just wanted to sound like it...lol...nothing personal...
Reply 86
holla_at_ya

So it does make all the difference....just not in our favour....although tbh, i'll be damned on the day when a 'run-of-the-mill' student gets all A*...of course there are noticeable exceptions, eg ppl on this thread who r gonna blaze my comments, bit generally speakin....

2 of my friends got 10.5 A*s, + they both also got top 5 in country for English Lit... Another one of my friends who also got top 5 for English Lit got 9.5 A*s and 1 A...

and we all go to the local comprehensive :smile:
^

Damn it!!

I got 8,2...and i came like 35th in my school.....!!

(fail!!!!!)
afua12
2 of my friends got 10.5 A*s, + they both also got top 5 in country for English Lit... Another one of my friends who also got top 5 for English Lit got 9.5 A*s and 1 A...

and we all go to the local comprehensive :smile:

YES...."NOTICEABLE EXCEPTIONS" ............!!!!

****!

....(I actually just typed in 4 *'s, so im not swearing or anything....)
holla_at_ya
^

Damn it!!

(fail!!!!!)

Why so competitive?
Reply 90
thepiglette
Why so competitive?

Yeah, I agree. What does it matter what other people got? You should only care about whether you did the best that YOU could, regardless.

Two of my friends got all A*s, I'm happy for them but it doesn't make me any less pleased with my results, for me they were the best I could have done.

Oh and according to some site someone posted a link to 650 000 people take GCSEs every year and 8a*s 2 as puts you in less than the top 2%.
That's so petty. You've failed because you achieved 8A*'s and 2A's? Then I must have got a U now. Instead of focusing on what the other 34 got to beat you, why don't you be happy and focus on AS/A2 and uni.
Reply 92
i go to a grammar school and think that was one of the main reasons for me being able to get 10 a*s as i dont think i would have been so pushed or motivated in a rubbish school however, the majority of ordinary schools are just as good and therefore, its down to the person
hmmm...

this all boils down to 'if you did ur best, then dont worry...'

ummm, ok, yes, I agree, but....what if your 'best' isnt good enough? Know what i mean?...ok, i know you cant do anything about it, but if you dont feel disheartend (ie putting you into the moodset to absolutely rape A levels), then you get that extra push....and also, ppl have a tendency to get arrogant and complaicant....

And i dont care if im in the top 2% of the country! Why should i when there are around 7,500 who have creamed me? I couldnt have done any better, and what happend is God's will, but i'm so pissed that i got trashed by sooo many ppl....

And also, if you havnt already read elsewhere, I am not competing with the group that can barely scrap 5A-C's....I am competing with the ppl who have got 10A*...It doesnt matter how many ppl u beat, its how many u were beaten by....(ok thats my phrase! trade marked!) lol

And ye, i havnt failed, thats just an exaggeration (or hyperbole!!), but i never imagined that my results would be trashed by so many ppl, IN MY OWN SCHOOL, let alone the whole ****in country!
If you couldn't have done any better, you aren't better than them. So why do you deserve to beat them at all? I don't understand who you're arguing with or what your point is.
Oh God the world has ended because I got thrashed by 7500 other candidates. Somebody play the violins already.
Reply 96
holla_at_ya
just joking btw, i dont mean to be offensive, i just wanted to sound like it...lol...nothing personal...

The first thing I did when I read your post was laugh. I didn't intend what I wrote to be taken seriously either :smile:

Anyway, most of what I want to say here would make it seem that I'm very arrogant so I don't think I'll say anything :p:
Reply 97
holla_at_ya
You wanna know what my parents said when I got my results? 'What happend to the 2A's, Yusuf?'. 'Why not all A*?'

gosh, i know what u mean. i did my french and spanish GCSEs in Year 9. Got an A* for French but that's no big deal because I had been learning the language for seven years at that point, and an A for Spanish, which I might add that I only started learning for the FIRST TIME three months before my exams.
i was really happy with my results, but to this day my mum says, it would have been great if you could get that A* in Spanish right...

and if that isn't enough. I got my results last week - 13.5 A*s and 3.5 As (including the two from Year 9). Two of the As in Year 11 were from Double Science. When I told her my results, the first thing she said to me was - 'darling, you know i love you very much and i am very proud of you, but you know that you could have gotten an A* in science too...'

how great is that. but i found out that they got my coursework grades wrong now, so hopefully that will go up to two A*s too. mum was happy when i gave her this little piece of information.
i am too, actually.

parents eh? :smile: still love em though :p:
borednconfused
gosh, i know what u mean. i did my french and spanish GCSEs in Year 9. Got an A* for French but that's no big deal because I had been learning the language for seven years at that point, and an A for Spanish, which I might add that I only started learning for the FIRST TIME three months before my exams.
i was really happy with my results, but to this day my mum says, it would have been great if you could get that A* in Spanish right...

and if that isn't enough. I got my results last week - 13.5 A*s and 3.5 As (including the two from Year 9). Two of the As in Year 11 were from Double Science. When I told her my results, the first thing she said to me was - 'darling, you know i love you very much and i am very proud of you, but you know that you could have gotten an A* in science too...'

how great is that. but i found out that they got my coursework grades wrong now, so hopefully that will go up to two A*s too. mum was happy when i gave her this little piece of information.
i am too, actually.

parents eh? :smile: still love em though :p:

You did 17 GCSEs!:eek:
Reply 99
holla_at_ya
^

Damn it!!

(fail!!!!!)

aw don't be so hard on yourself! lol these results are amazing! Unless you know that you could have done better for whatever reason, then seriously, be happy :biggrin:

(btw, you know where you came in your school? Did your school tell you? jeez - sounds kinda harsh :s What sort of school is it?)

Latest