The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dumbdunc
..... its called challenging yourself mate!....

WTF U high off brav?

Challenge? Mate, this aint some kinda a game....putting the difficulty setting to 'Really Hard' on Dragon Ball Z is a challenge!......I didnt do my GCSE's to 'see how good I am' lol....I did it so I get the qualifications looked for by Uni's, is all....

A life with no school, no job would be the best, 'but you gotta do what u gotta do to survive' (Tupac lyrics btw...legend...lol)

Anyway, by all means, have some fun, but anyone who does a subject at such a crucial stage in your career for fun is either really confident, really stupid, or just a nerd....:biggrin:
holla_at_ya
well in all honesty, im pissed with myself, becuase I genuinely do think i deserved to do better, but its cuz my bogus subject choices....and of course not forgetting that OCR is the worst board....But, ye....my fault for not getting what i thought i should....but its all part of gods will, so i can't b arsed to worry or anything....wha happens, happens....

anyway....what did u get?

6A*s, 2As, 2Bs and a C. Top ten in MY school, but well done, I suppose you beat me! Although I am educated in a state school... :O
gh
^

breaking a taboo for man, 4 shizzle...

I too feel that getting top grades is disproportionately innaccurate....Too many people are getting them....And a lot of those ppl who are getting them dont compare at all to some ppl who get around the same grade.....By that I mean is that clever ppl and slightly-less-clever ppl are getting the same grades....

And this grade inflation means that my grades are worthless....unless they are the best, they are nothing....which sucks....

And there will never be a perfect way to judge by results who is a better candidiate than who, especially when most ppl have the same, top grades....

Indeed, there will never be a perfect examination system, that accurately identifies the clever from the slightly-less-clever and the-not-so-clever....
Reply 124
I go to a private school and got all A*s and As (and a B - remarking though).

I don't understand the OP's point. :s-smilie:
holla_at_ya
^

I too feel that getting top grades is disproportionately innaccurate....Too many people are getting them....And a lot of those ppl who are getting them dont compare at all to some ppl who get around the same grade.....By that I mean is that clever ppl and slightly-less-clever ppl are getting the same grades....

And this grade inflation means that my grades are worthless....unless they are the best, they are nothing....which sucks....

And there will never be a perfect way to judge by results who is a better candidiate than who, especially when most ppl have the same, top grades....

Indeed, there will never be a perfect examination system, that accurately identifies the clever from the slightly-less-clever and the-not-so-clever....

If you are genuinely clever GCSEs don't really matter do they? For someone that is genuinely clever with just 1A*, they would be fine because GCSEs don't matter so much at places like Oxbridge where there are entrance tests as well as the interview so these make sure the best candidates go. If you are genuinely clever your GCSEs wouldn't matter too much but if you are not then they matter a lot because places like the LSE and Durham are GCSE whores and use GCSEs as the deciding factor which is also done for courses like Medicine but not so much anymore because of interviews as well as the BMAT and all those other exams.

It is for the reasons you said, that GCSEs don't separate out the best students and it is for this reason universities don't prioritise them over other things like your personal statement or your A-levels.
Reply 126
holla_at_ya
and most days I just copied from my m8 Ed who sits next to me.

And you expected to get even an A in that? :s-smilie:

holla_at_ya
but I know I would have got an A* if I had done spanish instead of either latin and history....

Wait...Who chose your subjects? Oh yes, you did. (And if you were that confident, you would've done it on top of your other GCSEs)
holla_at_ya
^

You can please stop talking like a ******? Thanks.

And btw, text language is forbidden by the forum.
Reply 128
holla_at_ya
WTF U high off brav?

Challenge? Mate, this aint some kinda a game....putting the difficulty setting to 'Really Hard' on Dragon Ball Z is a challenge!......I didnt do my GCSE's to 'see how good I am' lol....I did it so I get the qualifications looked for by Uni's, is all....

A life with no school, no job would be the best, 'but you gotta do what u gotta do to survive' (Tupac lyrics btw...legend...lol)

Anyway, by all means, have some fun, but anyone who does a subject at such a crucial stage in your career for fun is either really confident, really stupid, or just a nerd....:biggrin:

Yeah and how many unis are going to care that you got two As?!

You have a really boring attitude to life. Challenging yourself is what its all about. If everyone just did what was easy for them we wouldn't get anywhere.

I've also just realised you must be the countries most intelligent chav...
I did get my all A*s.

I go to a comprehensive school. It was in special measures back in 2002.

So no, where you're educated doesn't decide your grade. It does decide your life chances though.
holla_at_ya

So you're not planning to go on to A-levels / IB and then to university then? GCSEs are an easy qualification. They're meant to be. You don't hear everyone complaining about the 11+ being too easy.
Zygroth
And you expected to get even an A in that? :s-smilie:

Wait...Who chose your subjects? Oh yes, you did. (And if you were that confident, you would've done it on top of your other GCSEs)

Uh, ye! I might not understand the everything, (hence my mate, ED), but I'm not stupid I don't think. Getting the A* was gonna be difficult, but in all honesty, I thought I had it down, even if i didnt get sum ****....

....'On Top'....!! You mean extra!?!?!? lol no way....I would much rather have done spanish instead of latin, as opposed to doing both....and I really should have done that.....
Synergetic

Lol....If there ever was a greater degree of hypocrisy, could someone please point it out?....lol..... Im actually trying to work out what word u used.....oh ok, I get it...lol...bit controversial.....ye...I dunno y I say say stuff lyk that, but it just kinda flows off the fingers....
hbk91
Oh God the world has ended because I got thrashed by 7500 other candidates. Somebody play the violins already.

exactly

you have to bear in mind there are ****ing losers out there whos soul purpose in life is to get perfect grades. who cares if you didnt win, its all about living a balanced life and PERFECT grades almost always doesnt mean that.
generalebriety
So you're not planning to go on to A-levels / IB and then to university then? GCSEs are an easy qualification. They're meant to be. You don't hear everyone complaining about the 11+ being too easy.

whats ur point? I never said they were difficult, only you need the utmost top grades to shine AT THIS LEVEL...

Yes, my argument wasnt holistic, but as of the moment, GCSE's is all I've got right now....its all ive got to go on....in a couple of years time, we'll chat and have a similar convo bout A levels won't we?....lol.....2nd of september, 2009?...round 1-ish?.:biggrin: ...lol....
Reply 135
A 'public' school is actually a private school. Non-fee-paying schools are called state schools, rather than public schools.

I got 10 A*s and I went to a private school, however considering the problems we had at our school it's a miracle I got those grades. It really annoys me people trying to disparage the achievements of private school kids simply because of what kind of school they went to - so you go to a state school and get all Cs, but if you'd gone to private you would have got all A*s? I think not. I have friends who didn't get great grades at all - the grades you get are dependent upon you, not the kind of school you go to. Some state school kids have really got a chip on their shoulder about private schools. You can get top grades regardless of where you go - it depends, for the most part, on your own intelligence and the effort you put in.
dumbdunc
Yeah and how many unis are going to care that you got two As?!

You have a really boring attitude to life. Challenging yourself is what its all about. If everyone just did what was easy for them we wouldn't get anywhere.

I've also just realised you must be the countries most intelligent chav...

SouthernFreerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk91
Oh God the world has ended because I got thrashed by 7500 other candidates. Somebody play the violins already.

exactly

you have to bear in mind there are ****ing losers out there whos soul purpose in life is to get perfect grades. who cares if you didnt win, its all about living a balanced life and PERFECT grades almost always doesnt mean that

Wait.....so ive gone from being a chav to ****ing loser in one hour? What a day.....
holla_at_ya
whats ur point? I never said they were difficult, only you need the utmost top grades to shine AT THIS LEVEL...

Yes, my argument wasnt holistic, but as of the moment, GCSE's is all I've got right now....its all ive got to go on....in a couple of years time, we'll chat and have a similar convo bout A levels won't we?....lol.....2nd of september, 2009?...round 1-ish?.:biggrin: ...lol....

Sounds good to me. :wink:

My point is that GCSEs are largely irrelevant when you have A-levels and a degree. Honestly. No one cares if you get 8a* 2a or 10a*, not even for university entry. It might make more of a difference if you get 4a* 6a, but your grades are fine. :s-smilie: You're gonna go on to do A-levels and do well in them (again, AAAA or AAAB, makes very little difference) then go onto university and that's where you'll really be tested. GCSEs aren't meant to strip off the cream of the crop from the rest, that's what degrees are for. GCSEs and A-levels are just a preliminary measure to make sure the right people are going to the right places and to reward those who aren't going on to do degrees with qualifications showing what they are capable of.
Synergetic

Im sorry:biggrin: :biggrin: ....its just too funny.....
wow this is quite a passionate topic for you lot...!!!

Latest