Turn on thread page Beta

Coping with going to Uni and having M.E watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was wondering if there was anyone who is at Uni or going to Uni who has M.E.? And if there is, how do u manage your illness and your studies? I have M.E. and am planning on going to Uni in September to Worcester. I use a powered wheelchair to pace myself and my symptoms. I was wondering if there was anyone who has M.E and how they get on with their energy levels and the work load?

Thx

ReputationRep:
    My friend has ME - it was a struggle and she ended up doing a year and then recovering for a year. Her degree took 6 years, but she got there.

As long as you have a good support network in place and the university are understanding and will work with you, you shuold be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'm glad your friend managed to do her degree. At Worcester (where im going) they are really good for support, even the tutors are understanding and nice about my illness. As long as i pace myself and manage my illness i should be fine thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    What does ME stand for?...

ReputationRep:
    it stands for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis......bit of a mouth full..... or CFS.. (Chronic Fatigue Syndrom)

ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni at the moment and i had ME, only mine sounds like it's much more manageable than yours - i've recovered a lot from it over the past couple of years. As far as mine goes, i just have to keep a close eye on my energy levels, not go out too much or let myself get too run down.

I hope it all goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for ur reply yeah it sounds like ive just got to pace myself and look after my self. Ive got the option to go part time if i need to so if I get really tired then thats what ill do.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on what course you do, you probably won't have that much contact time, so travelling won't take it out of you too much. And the advantage of private study is that you can do it when you're feeling at your best and if you get a brain fog moment you can put it down and start again later Even if it is at 4am... my sleep patterns got completely reversed when my ME was at its worst.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing drama and performance studies but i have to do IT on the side for the first year which adds more contact time. i think contact time is 12 hours for the drama and another 4 wiv my computing. So i'm gonna see how i get on. The halls aren't that far away and ive got a disabled room so if i need to crash out I can

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.