Turn on thread page Beta

Official Doom 3 hardware guide. watch

ReputationRep:
    Just read a hardware guide published by Id for Doom 3. 512mb video card recommended/needed to run in the highest setting! Does anyone even have 512mb video card?!

You can read the full hardware guide here.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    Does anyone even have 512mb video card?!
    NVIDIA did say at the NV40 launch that they'd have a 512MB card out by the end of the year, I think ATi have also hinted at them releasing one also.

ReputationRep:
    You probably can buy them custom-made. I think you can also get (expensive) dual-AGP boards. Stick 2 x 256mb cards (ATI X800's) in there and you're laughing ... until you see the price tag.

But most of us willl be happy just getting Doom3 to run, sod the maximum detail.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, did you even read the article?

It is talking about how you do not need the latest and greatest graphics card to run it well. Sure the hardware to run it on full would need a remortgage to cover it, but id have spent a hell of a lot of time ensuring it will run well on even comparitively old hardware.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure I have seen a 512MB graphics card around somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but my pc is old and tacky
    Plus, a lot of new pcs are sold with 256Mb RAM ... so some upgrading will be needed to hit the min spec as supplied by ID.

I would have read the said article, but it wouldn't load over here ... don't know why. I had to rely on other news stories, perhaps not as reliable =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty)
    Yeah, but my pc is old and tacky :P

I would have read the said article, but it wouldn't load over here ... don't know why. I had to rely on other news stories, perhaps not as reliable =/
    I could not run it even if I pumped my computer up to the eyeballs with steroids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty)
    You probably can buy them custom-made. I think you can also get (expensive) dual-AGP boards. Stick 2 x 256mb cards (ATI X800's) in there and you're laughing ... until you see the price tag.

But most of us willl be happy just getting Doom3 to run, sod the maximum detail.
    Not sure about dual AGP, but you can get dual PCI-Express. NVIDIA are the ones you can use that with, the SLI tech, probably from the acquired engineers from 3DFX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I could not run it even if I pumped my computer up to the eyeballs with steroids.
    lol, why do they bother making games that practically no-one will be able to play as planned (i.e. max settings)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    lol, why do they bother making games that practically no-one will be able to play as planned (i.e. max settings)?
    I don't think the visual quality is changed much, the only loss in quality would be due to a bit of comrpression. People with fast 256MB card should be able to play it with no problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philibob)
    I don't think the visual quality is changed much, the only loss in quality would be due to a bit of comrpression. People with fast 256MB card should be able to play it with no problems.
    i got a geforce fx 5900 Ultra 256 mb g/card last year => will this be acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

It will play on DX6 hardware... do you have any idea how old that is!

People are getting paranoid about this game, read the article, it is playable at low resolutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    i got a geforce fx 5900 Ultra 256 mb g/card last year => will this be acceptable?
    Probably, depends what processor you've got though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    Yes.

It will play on DX6 hardware... do you have any idea how old that is!

People are getting paranoid about this game, read the article, it is playable at low resolutions.
    I finally managed to get to that article. Although the recommended spec of a 1.4Ghz P4 won't come close to this pc, the rest seems pretty reasonable.

*Notes how the minimum spec pc had 512Mb Corsair RAM* Can't say you'll find many new pc's with memory that good

ReputationRep:
    See through all the hype folks.

I was going to buy Far Cry yesterday - it's £25 in PCworld.

A look on the back revealed the following:

Minimum required spec:
    ~
    GeForce 2 Graphics Card
    ~

I'm not joking either.

Doom 3 will run fine on most modern graphics cards. 512mb card would play the thing like an absolute dream, but it's not necessary.

Remember - Doom 3 is being released on the XBOX, and will have the best graphics of any XBOX game.

I know there are inherent difficulties in comparing the XGPU to a PC graphics card (because in technical terms, the XGPU is a graphics card on some pretty nasty steroids). But if the XBOX can run it pretty nicely, methinks that a 512mb graphics card is not necessary - as the XBOX couldn't touch this.

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT buy Far Cry its a waste of money VERY overrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyHappyEnding)
    DO NOT buy Far Cry its a waste of money VERY overrated
    :eek:

I like it

ReputationRep:
    Enemy AI is sooo poor, they just take more bullets to kill as you advance

ReputationRep:
    This takes me back to when I finally got a 200mhz computer to play Quake on... happy days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    See through all the hype folks.

I was going to buy Far Cry yesterday - it's £25 in PCworld.

A look on the back revealed the following:

Minimum required spec:
    ~
    GeForce 2 Graphics Card
    ~
    The problem for me is that I bought Battlefield Vietnam a few months back and I cant even run that at full settings with my 9800pro, 768mb PC3200 ram, and 3.0Ghz p4 (but I think this is mainly due to me only having about 10GB HD space left)..

And I was hoping to run doom 3/half life 2 at nearly full settings

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.