Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc R.E..doc (25.5 KB, 1361 views)

Hey I'll have a jab at marking it later... I've just read through it and it looks quite good. I've highlighted a few spelling mistakes:p:. Not that it matters too much.

1 (a) Explain what is meant by a fundamentalist approach to the interpretation of the Bible. [33]

A fundamentalist approach involves a belief that the Bible’s completely infallible as every word comes directly form God, and only God.
    According to a fundamentalist position, then, every word of the Bible is entirely the work of God and should never be changed, challenged or questioned. The Bile is “inspired, or “breathed in” to the people who wrote it down, in much the same way as God breathed life into Adam (Genesis 2:7). If society was to move to a point where the Bible seems no longer appropriate for it then for the fundamentalist it is society that needs to change – not the Bible. I like your intro
    Henry Morris sums up his fundamentalist approach to the interpretation of the Bible in his commentary on the book of Genesis: “It is always dangerous to alter God’s word, either by addition of deletion” (“Genesis Record”, 1976). Fundamentalists believe firmly that the Bible can be absolutely trusted as the truth, because it comes from God and God does not make mistakes: “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching” (2 Timothy). This verse is often used to support their backbone idea that the Bible is infallible: “No prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation” (2 Peter).
    This “approach” to the interpraetion of the Bible rejects the suggestion that God spoke though people who where then to use their own ideas and personalities to shape their writings in their own ways. If God allowed such, then it is argued Human wickedness would become involved. Fundamentalists believe strongly in miracles as a result of the inerrancy of the Bible and thus the bodily resurrection of Jesus is a fundamental aspect of their approach to Biblical interpretation. Because everything is taken from the Bible to be literal, there is no need to make ones, own, personal interpretation – all can be taken at face value. The Bible’s words have come directly from God and thus all its words are “perfect” (Deuteronomy) and God being “Omniscient can always be trusted to say exactly, and only, what He means” (‘The Genesis Record”).

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've made some suggestions in the attached document. I hope you find it helpful .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anthropologist)
    Wow, thanks so much for the commentary at the bottom also Did you do OCR mate, what did you get if you mind me asking? I'm aiming for 270+ in my AS next year (extra AS that is). That means I'll need say 27/28/33 and then 15/17. I'll do (b) and post that up here.
    No I did AQA RS but there was a module on religious authority that involved interpreting the Bible. I've just finished the A-level and got 570/600 (300 UMS at AS). The key to doing well is PRACTICE; just keep on attempting past questions, looking at mark schemes and reading examiners' reports.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, i got it now mate. Take one quick look at my part (b) attempt and tell me what you think.
    It looks promising. I'm just marking it for you now . Should take me about 10 mins..

Sorry I didn't come back and have a look. It looks like Brown has it in hand anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've attached my comments.

I did OCR

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much again, this is incredibly helpful. Indeed, i don't think an actual conclusion is needed, but there's no harm in putting a short one in! I'll put one up tomorrow if you are about brown! Or even tonight - I've just timed myself with the 33 mark one and managed 1.5 sides in 20 minutes which is about right. I'll type it up soon. Cheers mate!
    No probs .

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you get into Cambridge mate you seem very intelligent what happened? What did you apply for?
    I applied for Law. My GCSEs were not fantastic and I know I didn’t perform very well in the interviews. Are you thinking of applying there?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully for Arch and Anth mate - fingers crossed. Just need to perfect my next 2 AS levels and get A's in my A2's. I'll brush up on my English too. My aim is to have 4/6 AS levels in the 90's. Hopefully that will suffice. Do you think if i get say 520/530 for my English they will take into account that i got 270+ for my AS level English - as other applicants would usually apply with only the AS obviously?

Just typed up (a) - i think it went well
    Ooh that sounds like an interesting combination . Yeah I think they would take that into account. But remember grades aren't everything. You need to be enthusiastic about the subject you're applying for and be able to convey this in an interview situation.

I'll have a go at marking that in a bit Anthrop.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, i think it looks like an amazing course - a bit of everything. I want to know what makes people tick and that's what Ant lets you do. It's an elite form of Sociology!
    Well it sounds really good. I wish I took Sociology at college; I think I would have enjoyed it .

I've marked your answer...

ReputationRep:
    I may do one more sometime in the next day or so - I'll write it out on paper first, so i can see the correct length before typing it. One has 30 minutes to do a 33 mark and a 17 mark question, so i should think about a side and bit for (a) is enough followed by the rest of the other side for (b) - until you run out of time for the first 30 mins really i guess. Timing is tight for this exam - so you can't really get too carried away.

yep, you're right in saying that timing is tight for the exam.
    However, i'd aim for more than what you are thinking.

more 2 sides for part a
    1 side for part b

as long as you write all the main points in i dont think it really matters though. your essays look like you can say what you want to say in a very concise way.

If I remember correctly, I just moved on to b when I felt like I had mentioned everything that was necessary. Obviously you need to keep an eye on the time. In my AS mock paper I ended up writing about 5 sentences because I ran out of time! Thankfully that didn't happen in the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    Next essay, take a look if you want Brown
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: doc January 2005 - D.I.C.T. (Q.12).doc (26.0 KB, 126 views)

ReputationRep:
    Next essay, take a look if you want Brown
    Okay I'm kind of busy atm; I'll post my comments later on today .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Here you go...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate
    You're welcome . So what topics do you have to study on the OCR syllabus? (As I did AQA I am unfamiliar with it!) Do you get a choice of modules?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.