The lie that only ‘3rd wave feminists’ are bad – Part 1 Watch

CookieButter
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This is going to be long.

I often come across people who say that its only recently that feminists have gone crazy, and sexist. That its only 3rd wave feminism* that suffers from issues of extremism and hate and that 1st and 2nd wave feminism* were ‘great'. People, like this, are uninformed about the history of feminism. A history rife with hate, sexism, lies, and even terrorism, from day one.

I thought I might write a thread to shine some light on this history. I didn’t know though how to best go about it. I didn’t want to tell a story about select circumstances or relatively insignificant individuals and have feminists say, well, this is isolated, or this does not represent feminism, as they often do. So I thought the best way I could go about doing this is to base this thread on feminist thinkers and scholars or those feminists who helped build and shape feminism and define its values over the past century; Important, influential figures in feminism celebrated by feminists across the globe.

I am going to write this in parts as there are many examples.

I will start this first part with a 2nd wave feminist theologian and philosopher. A particularly rotten example for a human being for whom sexism and hatred of men was ingrained in every aspect of her life. A feminist icon born in 1928 that went by the name of Mary Daly.

Mary Daly was a Professor at Boston College (a university in the USA) where she lectured on feminist issues, from the 60s to the late 90s. A period spanning ‘2nd wave’ feminism. She had a profound intellectual impact on feminist theory and her work inspired revolutions within feminism in issues pertaining to sexuality, religion and God**. She authored many books and taught, influenced and inspired many famous feminist thinkers and activists; Janice Raymond and Germaine Greer just to name a few.

This woman, who helped shape 2nd wave feminism and who’s life spanned 1st and 2nd wave feminism and who’s work continues to inspire and influence feminist theory to this day, was an openly sexist, contradictory individual who despised men. She subscribed to the feminist belief that woman should rule over the world and eradicate the male gender from this planet, leaving just enough men to be used for reproductive and sexual purposes. I am not even making this up. This is a legitimate, serious feminist idea that has had much research and books written about it (look up Sally Geerhart’s "The Future-If There is One-Is Female" for an insight into this belief).

In 1999, in an interview with a feminist magazine (‘EnlightenNext’ formerly known as ‘What Is Enlightenment’) and for an article written by feminist journalist Susan Bridle entitled “No Man’s Land”, Professor Daly was asked her opinion of the aforementioned feminist idea that woman should rule the world and reduce the male population to 10%. She replied:

"if life is to survive on this planet, there must be a decontamination of the Earth. I think that this will be accompanied by an evolutionary process that will result in a drastic reduction in the population of males."

Please find exerts from the discussion between Susan and the professor below:

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 09.21.11.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  144.2 KB

This woman’s sexism and hate for men did not stop at theory. She put it into practice in her life. She refused to admit male students into her class at university and managed to do that for 40 years without challenge. However, in 1998, backed by the Centre for Individual Rights (a non-profit human rights advocacy group/law firm), two courageous male students at the university, disallowed to attend her class, made a discrimination claim against Professor Daly and Boston College. They wound up accepting an out-of-court settlement that saw the college agree to take disciplinary action against the Professor for her sexist ways, requiring her to admit male students into her class. After this Decision was made Daly refused to attend classes and in 1999 she officially retired from Boston college rather than admit male students into her class.

Professor Daly died in 2010 celebrated by feminists as a ‘leader in feminist theology’ and an ‘Extraordinary, Courageous, and Obstreperous’ woman worthy of an obituary in The New York Times.

http://elizabethdebold.com/in-honor-...ous-mary-daly/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/ed...7daly.html?hpw

Her bigoted sexist views on segregating males are quiet common amongst feminists with feminist campaigns for example adopting titles such as ‘no uterus no opinion'.

“God's plan' is often a front for men's plans and a cover for inadequacy, ignorance, and evil.” Professor Mary Daly 1973.

Part 2 is going to be about a particularly interesting example of a 1st wave feminist author and playwright. A terrorist and attempted murderer who wrote a sexist manifesto aimed at encouraging her feminist compatriots to ‘annihilate the male sex’.

*1st wave feminism refers to ‘feminists’ and ‘feminist activity’ between the late 19th century and early 20th century. 2nd wave feminism refers to feminists and their activity between the 60s and early 90s and 3rd wave feminism refers to feminism from the early 90s to the current day.

**https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...uenced&f=false
Attached files
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
inb4 no one responds to you post, but calls you misogynist
CookieButter
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Zargabaath)
inb4 no one responds to you post, but calls you misogynist
People dont have to engage in replies. If one person reads this thread and it gets through to them and makes them think about this issue or makes them change their mind its enough for me.

As for being called a misogynist.....feminists have done things that are far worse to people who question their authoritarian sexist ideology than calling them misogynists....people's lives have been destroyed for questioning feminism such that they can no longer do anything or go anywhere, people have been sexually abused and assaulted for standing up to feminists, people have even been murdered....being insulted is getting off lightly i think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (358)
56.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.65%

Watched Threads