Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi - i am currently on a gap year and have some travelling plans but would also like to organise to do something that would look good on my ucas application. I am applying to do english and history of art. For english i was thinking about volunteering for a literary festival and i emailed quite a few but got no responses.
    Has anyone ever done stuff like this and could recommend how to get involved?
    Also for history of art i was thinking about going to see a few exhibitions in london if possible - could anyone reccomend anything (preferably not modern art - more interested in the renaissance)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    There was a history of art course specifically for gap year students advertised in the Sunday Times travel section the other day which was a few months travelling round the major sites around Europe. I'll see if I can find the article...

ReputationRep:
    www.arthistoryabroad.com
    www.johnhallpre-university.com
    www.britishinstitute.it

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much - that last link was really good. ive been looking at art history abroad but its just sooooo expensive.
    im worried its a bit of a rich people only subject - some of the reviews were from kids complaining that 'mummy and daddy' didnt GIVE them enough money!! worrying
    Anyway the last one was more affordable...still thats alot of waitressing

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine has just done a masters in an art history related subject, although slightly different to you she found it hard to get any work experience before she started.

The best advice I could give is to go down to places where you would be interested in volunteering and talk to people, you will be surprised at how helpful people can be. There are lots of local literature festivals around always looking for help, also have you considered the National Trust and the 'heritage route'?

Good luck and enjoy your gap year

ReputationRep:
    If you're just doing it to 'look good' perhaps you need to rethink?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think so - ive planned to do things that are just individual interests but i would also like to do particular things that would strengthen my ucas application. obvieously i would also be interested in doing them as i have chosen to study in this area at university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheerios)
    hi - i am currently on a gap year and have some travelling plans but would also like to organise to do something that would look good on my ucas application. I am applying to do english and history of art. For english i was thinking about volunteering for a literary festival and i emailed quite a few but got no responses.
    Has anyone ever done stuff like this and could recommend how to get involved?
    Also for history of art i was thinking about going to see a few exhibitions in london if possible - could anyone reccomend anything (preferably not modern art - more interested in the renaissance)
    Thanks
    Try the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery as well as the Tate (not the tate modern, just the tate, if that is your preference).

Volunteer for a magazine or newspaper; check the classifides in local papers/journals etc for this. As always, the internet is an excellent resource and I'm sure you'll find something if you look hard enough

It's a shame you missed the Hay festival really, as that would have been excellent.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.