Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

my sister is going into year 11 and she wants to take her SAT exam this year (2007/2008) because she feels she wouldn't be able to hack the workload next year when she has her AS' and endless extra ciriculars.

So, is it allowed for her to take them when she's 15/16?
    If she doesn't get the score she wants, she wants to retake them in AS year.

Could anyone help me out with this question because i'm clueless & i've checked & double checked CollegeBoards website for info :confused:

Any answers/feedback is very much appreciated :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Have you read this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=435171

You should be taking the test in the spring of the year you apply to uni, and then if you need to retake it you can do in December. Its designed for university entrance, so taking it in year 11 i feel is way too early.

ReputationRep:
    What "workload"? I think people are overestimating the difficulty of the SATs by a large margin. I don't know if there's anything precluding her from taking it in Year 11, but as Kirsty said, it's advisable to take it as late as possible.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i took it for the first time when I was 15, it isn't really any big deal. I took the PSAT for the first time when I was 12.

ReputationRep:
    You can take the SATs anytime you want. In the US, it's common for students to take it in 11th or 12th grade. Some students choose to take it earlier than 11th grade, but it's most commonly taken in 11th and 12th.

Just keep in mind that when you apply to a university that requires SAT scores, the scores from every sitting will be sent. Most students take the SATs at least twice, three times is pushing it, and universities would look upon taking it more than 3 takes unfavorably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarbruis)
    What "workload"? I think people are overestimating the difficulty of the SATs by a large margin. I don't know if there's anything precluding her from taking it in Year 11, but as Kirsty said, it's advisable to take it as late as possible.
    Theres personally a workload involved with her because next year (when she starts her AS's) she's playing tennis tournaments on an American tour circuit and she'll only be back in England to sit her AS's so she thinks it would work better if she took them in year 11 when she doesn't have a lot going on. Taking into account that she is quite able...she's already done AS English & Science two years early, if she took the SAT this year would universities see it unfavourably? Or would they take into account her situation?

ReputationRep:
    This is what I suggest...

1) SAT for the first time in December of Year 12 (Grade 11)
    2) SAT for the second time in May (Year 12)
    3) SAT SUBJECT TESTS in JUNE (Year 12) IF POSSIBLE (If not, then October year 13 would be fine)
    4) Retake SAT or SAT subject tests that she needs to improve her scores on in October, November and December (Year 13)

I'm in year13 right now and am currently going through this. SAT's aren't that difficult, and are more like endurance/IQ tests/time management tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deranged_dragon)

3) SAT SUBJECT TESTS in JUNE (Year 12) IF POSSIBLE (If not, then October year 13 would be fine)
    4) Retake SAT or SAT subject tests that she needs to improve her scores on in October, November and December (Year 13)

I'm in year13 right now and am currently going through this. SAT's aren't that difficult, and are more like endurance/IQ tests/time management tests.
    Haha good advices! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deranged_dragon)

thankss...thats a great way to do it ...especially if she wants to apply for ED
    i think =/

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.