Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys, i could really do with some help in finding somewhere on the internet to do a fast track maths a-level in kent, please could someone post a link as to where i can apply to do it as im struggling, im 22

so far i have found south kent college from looking at google the course needs to be in kent

id really appreciate the help

thank you
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Why can't you do evening classes or anything like that? Distance learning generally isn't fast track.

What about ICS? (costs a bomb however!)

ReputationRep:
    basically i wish to do it in a year because im alreadfy half way through mhy btec nat dip for it practitioners and i will finish it in one year, im going to get ddd, and to study at imperial i need maths at grade a to accompany it, as im 22, i dont wisdh to do a further 2 years and then go to uni,

whats the best way of finding an evening course?

ReputationRep:
    Can't he just study the course at home and ask a nearby centre to enter him for exams (which he will of course pay for)?

If you need help, get a tutor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cataclysm)
    Can't he just study the course at home and ask a nearby centre to enter him for exams (which he will of course pay for)?

If you need help, get a tutor.

i wouldnt mind doing this, does anyone no if this is possible?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    yes - thats an option, i think it depends on how good at maths you are. (what did you get at GCSE?)

Contact your local college to see about evening clases, though to do the full a-level in a year, and get an A would be difficult unless you have a good maths background to start with.

The info about ICS home learning is here: http://www.icslearn.co.uk/gcse-A-lev...a-level-maths/

Can't you do it through the same place as your BTEC?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by rickilambert)
    i wouldnt mind doing this, does anyone no if this is possible?
    Its possible but you need a good tutor who knows the exam syllabus. You can enter as a private candidate at some centres (see the exam board website for more details). You need to contact that centre and ask to sit the exams there. It may work out expensive, since private tutoring isn't cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    Its possible but you need a good tutor who knows the exam syllabus. You can enter as a private candidate at some centres (see the exam board website for more details). You need to contact that centre and ask to sit the exams there. It may work out expensive, since private tutoring isn't cheap.
    Yea, first of all, contact your local schools and see which ones will be willing to enter you. Also, ask them which exam board they do. You can download the syllabus from the respective website. Enquire about costs, I thinks Maths won't be too expensive because there is no coursework but exam-entry fees and admin charges may be charged at higher rates for you at the discretion of the school/college.

Then, find a tutor who can teach you well (preferrably someone who did the same syllabus/exam board - but it doesn't matter too much). You can get past papers online for Edexcel and AQA quite easily.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yea, first of all, contact your local schools and see which ones will be willing to enter you. Also, ask them which exam board they do. You can download the syllabus from the respective website. Enquire about costs, I thinks Maths won't be too expensive because there is no coursework but exam-entry fees and admin charges may be charged at higher rates for you at the discretion of the school/college.

Then, find a tutor who can teach you well (preferrably someone who did the same syllabus/exam board - but it doesn't matter too much). You can get past papers online for Edexcel and AQA quite easily.
    My maths had coursework - it was 3 years ago though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    My maths had coursework - it was 3 years ago though.
    I think that only the OCR one has coursework.

The Edexcel and AQA ones don't.

ReputationRep:
    OCR MEI has coursework ;yes;
    OP - try to sit some modules in January to buy yourself slack for June
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think that only the OCR one has coursework.

The Edexcel and AQA ones don't.
    It does - i did the OCR one. The coursework was a walk in the park though.

ReputationRep:
    From what I can gather AQA Mathematics are a bit harder for the sitting. You might want to try Edexcel, C1 is relatively easy and is a short step up from GCSE. Once you get the hang of C1 (should only take a couple of weeks at a slowish pace) you'll find C2 a little bit easier to tackle. Applied module are always a bit of a hassle and you might want a tutor for those.

Good luck! Try for C1 and maybe C2 if you can manage for January.

ReputationRep:
    Do it yourself as may have been said.
    I started 'A' level Edexcel maths this holliday, ive finished C1 and am 70% through C2, it really is a subject you can learn without assistance.
    My 6th-form have been really helpfull and are paying for me to sit any 4 modules i want in January.

ReputationRep:
    thansk for ALL the replys guys and gals. Would it be ok to just runb through a conclusion to this post?

1) i e-mail all schools and colleges (surely not schools as im 22?)
    2) i find out whether they will accept me
    3) if i cannot find a place in the next week or two then i must do the following;

1) get the course structure for the edexcel maths
    2) Learn the syllabus myself
    3) Enter myself for the exams

If anyone could confirm that this is the best way for me to approcach it then i would be greatfull

once again, thank you for the help

ReputationRep:
    Yea, sounds fine. If you have to self-teach i advise the Heinemann series of core books (C1-C4), they are not so good for S1 and M1 though!
    At your (second)third point though, you must still find a centre at which you can enter the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisRH)
    Yea, sounds fine. If you have to self-teach i advise the Heinemann series of core books (C1-C4), they are not so good for S1 and M1 though!
    At your (second)third point though, you must still find a centre at which you can enter the exams.
    i think that this will be my problem, the fact that there are many units with unfamiliar names, this may make it hard to reevise on my own. also, when you are taught at school the teachers kind if give you an insight in to what questions to expect dont they? , how will i no these sort of things lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickilambert)
    i think that this will be my problem, the fact that there are many units with unfamiliar names, this may make it hard to reevise on my own. also, when you are taught at school the teachers kind if give you an insight in to what questions to expect dont they? , how will i no these sort of things lol
    Read the respective specifications, that will explain everything. Here is a short summary:

You MUST do C1, C2, C3 and C4 (if you do Edexcel or AQA) because these are the Core Units everyone does.

Then, as you are aware, an A level qualification has 6 units and in Maths you get a choice to choose 2 applied modules from a choice of three which are Mechanics (concerned mostly with physical principles such as momentum, moments, vectors, acceleration, etc.), Statistics (probabilities, regression, sampling, etc.) and Decision (algorithms and the like)

Now, to get an AS qualification 3 units you can do one of the following combinations:

C1, C2, S1 (the first Stats book)
    C1, C2, M1 (the first Mechanics book)
    C1, C2, D1 (the first Decision Book)

This means that you have an AS qualification when these three units (two core and one applied are completed).

To gain the A2 part (and thereby the full 'A' level) you can MUST do C3and C4 and let's suppose you did M1, you can now do M2 in the next year, or you did S1, you can do S2 (if you wish) and likewise for D1 and D2. You can also switch and do M1 and S1 or M1 and D1 or S1 or D1.

These are the permitted combinations alongside your C1-C4 modules:

S1, S2
    S1, M1
    S1, D1
    M1, M2
    M1, D1
    D1, D2

Only one of those combinations alongside C1-C4 are allowed, you cannot for example do M1 and S2, that would be an illegal combination.

ReputationRep:
    Only one of those combinations alongside C1-C4 are allowed, you cannot for example do M1 and S2, that would be an illegal combination.
    ;yes; The chief examiner arrests you for it :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Read the respective specifications, that will explain everything. Here is a short summary:

You MUST do C1, C2, C3 and C4 (if you do Edexcel or AQA) because these are the Core Units everyone does.

Then, as you are aware, an A level qualification has 6 units and in Maths you get a choice to choose 2 applied modules from a choice of three which are Mechanics (concerned mostly with physical principles such as momentum, moments, vectors, acceleration, etc.), Statistics (probabilities, regression, sampling, etc.) and Decision (algorithms and the like)

Now, to get an AS qualification 3 units you can do one of the following combinations:

C1, C2, S1 (the first Stats book)
    C1, C2, M1 (the first Mechanics book)
    C1, C2, D1 (the first Decision Book)

This means that you have an AS qualification when these three units (two core and one applied are completed).

To gain the A2 part (and thereby the full 'A' level) you can MUST do C3and C4 and let's suppose you did M1, you can now do M2 in the next year, or you did S1, you can do S2 (if you wish) and likewise for D1 and D2. You can also switch and do M1 and S1 or M1 and D1 or S1 or D1.

These are the permitted combinations alongside your C1-C4 modules:

S1, S2
    S1, M1
    S1, D1
    M1, M2
    M1, D1
    D1, D2

wow, im pretty sure i get this, what your saying is that overall there are four compulsary modules, i do two of them for as, accompanied by a choice of mine, and likewise in year 2. thanks for the help Cataclysm much appreciated

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.