faylauren
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm English, looking at studying in Bristol in 17/18 but living in Wales. So do I apply to SF England or wales?
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by faylauren)
I'm English, looking at studying in Bristol in 17/18 but living in Wales. So do I apply to SF England or wales?
How long have you been living in Wales? Will you be moving to England for the purpose of studying or to live (I assume your moving as you are studying in bristol )
faylauren
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'll have been here a year by then and I plan to stay in Wales whilst I study
murpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by faylauren)
I'll have been here a year by then and I plan to stay in Wales whilst I study
Did you move to wales to live or to study ?

Residency criteria you would have to be living in England on the first day of the academic year otherwise you would be classed as SFW
Luca99
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For Student Finance Wales you have to have had 3 years full time residency in Wales prior to the academic year you are applying for in order to qualify for financial support.

If you have moved from England recently, you will have to apply to Student Finance England.
murpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Luca99)
For Student Finance Wales you have to have had 3 years full time residency in Wales prior to the academic year you are applying for in order to qualify for financial support.

If you have moved from England recently, you will have to apply to Student Finance England.
You don't need to be living in wales for 3 years prior to get SFW funding, it has different rules.

I can explain the full criteria from the regulations if you want me to
Luca99
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Apologies..I meant full time residency in the U.K., and not just in Wales for the three years prior to the Course date.

Here is the full criteria from Student Finance Wales from their website. If you are able to access Student Finance Wales support it is far more generous in terms of the Welsh Govt Learning Grant (parental income dependent) and doesn't have to be repaid. I live in Wales and thank my lucky stars with Student Finance that I do!

"The student must: not have moved to Wales solely for the purposes of education; or have been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before this date; or be ‘ordinarily’ resident in Wales; or meet the requirements of one of the other UK residency categories listed in the appropriate Regulation such as a refugee living in the UK."
murpo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You only need to be in living in wales before the first day of the academic year as long as you didn't move their to study (I actually think that's changed a little but that's how it was when SFW first opened)

But yeh the Welsh funding is definitely nicer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (338)
83.66%
No (66)
16.34%

Watched Threads