The Student Room Group

Which maths ?

HI! In my second year of A-level (im currently in the first) I will almost definately be taking up AS maths in order to finish the full A-level in year 14. My question is, which maths a-level is best for studying science (specifically physics) at university ? Or, which one is likely to make my application to a university for physics stronger out of just mathematics and 'pure maths'. I'm asking this simply because I don't know a lot about what pure maths is and I read somewhere that it's good for studying sciences such as physics. I don't really know what the modules are like or how useful it would be so any help is awesome.

-Thanks for reading !
Reply 1
Have you ever considered Further Maths?
Reply 2
Original post by solark
Have you ever considered Further Maths?

I sure have. I just didn't really know how I would fare with it. I got an A in GCSE maths and I'm doing fine with all the mathematics involved in AS physics so far (just a bunch of algebra). I know it would probably look at lot better than just maths. What do you think ? How much harder is it than just maths ?
im a bit iffy on the types of maths myself but from what i know there's pure and applied. pure is your standard maths stuff (what i like :biggrin:), calculus, advanced trigonometry etc. Applied maths is Decision maths (not much help for you), Statistics (again, not helping) but also mechanics which REALLY helps with physics. if you do edexcel maths the M1 book is literally all covered in physics AS (apart from a tiny part of vectors) and helps LOADS. i strongly recommend it
Reply 4
I would recommend just doing the Edexcel Mathematics A Level. It gives you the choice of core modules and mechanics modules (will really help with physics). It gives you a wider cover of maths in general also, and as most students in the country take normal maths unis won't say anything negative about it :smile: good luck
Reply 5
Original post by Toasticide
im a bit iffy on the types of maths myself but from what i know there's pure and applied. pure is your standard maths stuff (what i like :biggrin:), calculus, advanced trigonometry etc. Applied maths is Decision maths (not much help for you), Statistics (again, not helping) but also mechanics which REALLY helps with physics. if you do edexcel maths the M1 book is literally all covered in physics AS (apart from a tiny part of vectors) and helps LOADS. i strongly recommend it

To be fair, statistics can be pretty useful for physics also.
Original post by Aklaol
To be fair, statistics can be pretty useful for physics also.

Really?

i mean, i didnt know it was useful in biology until my friends told me about medical statistics. I believe you but i don't suppose you can tell me how it helps? kidna curious now :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Toasticide
Really?

i mean, i didnt know it was useful in biology until my friends told me about medical statistics. I believe you but i don't suppose you can tell me how it helps? kidna curious now :smile:

Look up statistical physics and statistical mechanics :smile:.
Reply 8
Original post by JoeTheDoktor
I sure have. I just didn't really know how I would fare with it. I got an A in GCSE maths and I'm doing fine with all the mathematics involved in AS physics so far (just a bunch of algebra). I know it would probably look at lot better than just maths. What do you think ? How much harder is it than just maths ?

Some of my mates are taking it and its a lot of work, you really have to be devoted in order to keep up with the work and get a decent grade after 2 years of studying. If you want to go into a math-based degree or career (maths, physics, engineering etc) it is certainly worth taking but it wont be an easy ride i reckon
Reply 9
Original post by solark
Some of my mates are taking it and its a lot of work, you really have to be devoted in order to keep up with the work and get a decent grade after 2 years of studying. If you want to go into a math-based degree or career (maths, physics, engineering etc) it is certainly worth taking but it wont be an easy ride i reckon

Fair enough. I will deffo consider it. Thanks.
Reply 10
Original post by Aklaol
Look up statistical physics and statistical mechanics :smile:.

Other than a bit of combinatorics and variance/std. dev. stuff the lower S modules aren't that useful for stat mech...

The higher S modules have generating functions stuff which can be useful for lots of physics but not many people do them.

Quick Reply

Latest