The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Freshers Ball

What kind of dress do girls usually wear to the Freshers Ball? Does it need to be ballgown/prom dress style or do people go for cocktail dresses? I read that there's going to be a bouncy castle/inflatable or something so I guess you wouldn't want anything too smart?!? Advice please :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

My advice would be don't go, personally... most people don't, and everyone I know who did said it was crap. Balls in Durham tend to be expensive and you're better off waiting for college or society balls.

But I would assume the dress code would be ball gowns for the ladies- cocktail dresses tend to be the thing for black tie formals.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi. Well, I went last year and there was a real mix of dresses. Some people wore big, flouncy prom dresses whilst others opted for just a nice dress so its really down to you how dressed up you want to get.
The Freshers Ball is expensive for what it is as there is no meal or drinks included but its a nice thing to do and you only have one chance to go so I would. If you're a party person I would advise that you buy the Gold card as you get £5 off the freshers ball and will easily make up the rest of the money with £1s of Planet of Sound.
Reply 3
What's the difference between a cocktail dress and a ballgown/prom type dress.

When do you get a ticket for it? Looking at the stuff I've had to pay, it's not in the Golden Ticket thing...
Reply 4
NickiM
What's the difference between a cocktail dress and a ballgown/prom type dress.

When do you get a ticket for it? Looking at the stuff I've had to pay, it's not in the Golden Ticket thing...

Nope, it's not golden ticket; that's college ents. I think you buy it when you get here.
Are us blokes going to be expected to dress up in suits and the like for this ball?
Reply 6
Christo
Nope, it's not golden ticket; that's college ents. I think you buy it when you get here.

Thanks, and sorry for sounding so stupid, but what is an "ent"?
Reply 7
A cocktail dress is shorter, more knee length, whereas a ball gown/evening dress is full length
Reply 8
Ent is just short for entertainment, so college ents are college organised events like balls, bops etc. and DSU ents would be planet of sound etc.
Reply 9
Oh and as regards the freshers ball, I only know I few people who went and they said it was a lot of money and quite disappointing so I wouldn't really recommend it!
Reply 10
How much money is it?
elphiej
Oh and as regards the freshers ball, I only know I few people who went and they said it was a lot of money and quite disappointing so I wouldn't really recommend it!

What is amiss with it?
NickiM
Thanks, and sorry for sounding so stupid, but what is an "ent"?

(...sorry)
Reply 13
/\ I dont get it /\
Anyway I think an ent is a very small 6 legged insect.

And, guys gals, surely we have to go to the freshers' ball?! Ive always though it was like the main event or something..
cabeca
/\ I dont get it /\

And, guys gals, surely we have to go to the freshers' ball?! Ive always though it was like the main event or something..

Tis a Treant from Lord of the Rings movies.
cabeca
/\ I dont get it /\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ent
cabeca

Nah, it's mainly to raise a bit of cash for the DSU. You're more likely to meet people and have more fun in your college's freshers events.
Reply 17
Just don't do it! I can't think of anything worse than being chucked in a place where you don't know anyone and it's even more difficult to recognise people because it's the whole uni not just a college!
abacab
Just don't do it! I can't think of anything worse than being chucked in a place where you don't know anyone and it's even more difficult to recognise people because it's the whole uni not just a college!

I assume people know some others before they get to the uni, so at worse case scenario you can hang out with them. How much are they charging for it, anyway?
Reply 19
Yeah, how much does it cost?! No one has actually said yet...I need to budget :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest