Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi all
    i was just wondering where i stand in the competition of getting a internship for the summer 2008 and for me to become successful in investment analysis/banking? my cv will briefly look like this:
    - gap year to work at next for 4 months
    - traveled to Hong Kong twice:p:
    - taken a internship at Sprint Nextel
    - AAB in A levels - law, psychology and ict
    - i am going to Manchester university to study management specializing in accounting and finance this september
    - am ready to enjoy uni in september, join the societies and work my bullocks off but is there anything extra that i should be doing? :confused:

what sort of societies should i be looking for and when i say work hard, how much is that work load?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laikit88)
    hi all
    i was just wondering where i stand in the competition of getting a internship for the summer 2008 and for me to become successful in investment analysis/banking? my cv will briefly look like this:
    - i am going to Manchester university to study management specializing in accounting and finance this september
    - am ready to enjoy uni in september, join the societies and work my bullocks off but is there anything extra that i should be doing? :confused:

what sort of societies should i be looking for and when i say work hard, how much is that work load?:confused:
    Which area do you want to intern in? IBD?

ReputationRep:
    hi all

Unless you were doing something IB/finance related in HK, then I'd say that point is pretty irrelevant. You've not even started your first year of uni - the internships are targeted at penultimate year students, so you may well find it difficult to get onto one this early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student20077)
    oh please ur not my competition
    but your profile says you study at queen mary? :P

ReputationRep:
    I do believe manchester is higher up on the food chain concerning IB than queen mary..

Join societies that you enjoy and can talk about in an interview. They dont need to be all related to banking and what not. Competition is hard these days. You do really need to work you're "bullocks" off if you want to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Unless you were doing something IB/finance related in HK, then I'd say that point is pretty irrelevant. You've not even started your first year of uni - the internships are targeted at penultimate year students, so you may well find it difficult to get onto one this early.
    am analyzing monthly sales figures and forecasting future trends in the telecommunication market for the whole of Asia. just dealing with all the profit and costs of the contracts and reporting back to the directors and shadowing a business analysis! boring though! am going Manchester university in September and dellotte have already opened their applications for summer interns for 1st years only! i don't know much about the investment banking field but am learning about the usa economy crisis, currency fluctuations, etc. and now am looking at other companies to see if they have summer interns already for 2008.
    theres investment analysis and corporate finance placements, just confused on what the job demands and worried that am not good enough to compete:confused:

ReputationRep:
    am analyzing monthly sales figures and forecasting future trends in the telecommunication market for the whole of Asia. just dealing with all the profit and costs of the contracts and reporting back to the directors and shadowing a business analysis! boring though! am going Manchester university in September and dellotte have already opened their applications for summer interns for 1st years only! i don't know much about the investment banking field but am learning about the usa economy crisis, currency fluctuations, etc. and now am looking at other companies to see if they have summer interns already for 2008.
    theres investment analysis and corporate finance placements, just confused on what the job demands and worried that am not good enough to compete:confused:
    I'd love to shadow a business analysis - if you tell me how one does that. A few IBs do programmes for first years - they're called spring insight weeks of whatever, search the threads and you'll find them easily. Read a lot on current affairs. There isnt exactly a crisis in the US economy. The data for durable goods sales, for example, was very strong.

ReputationRep:
    dellotte have already opened their applications for summer interns for 1st years only!
    Really? I didn't think Deloitte did summer internships for first years but regardless, its not an investment bank.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think the Big 4 open their applications relatively early, and aren't too fussy about which year of university you're in. One or two banks have programmes designed for first years, if you do your research you'll be able to find out which.

ReputationRep:
    Um nope the Deloitte summer vacation scheme is only for penultimate year students, you can't get on it as a 1st year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredstar)
    Um nope the Deloitte summer vacation scheme is only for penultimate year students, you can't get on it as a 1st year
    That's funny, I know a couple of first years who got onto the Summer Vacation Scheme. So it's possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    That's funny, I know a couple of first years who got onto the Summer Vacation Scheme. So it's possible.
    According to their website http://careers.deloitte.com:80/stude...ContentID=5574 and me being on it it most definitely is for penultimate year students as their is a grad offer at the end of it etc.

I was on the London one (only one that really matters ) and there were no first years out of 70 off of us.

Those first years must have known someone inside so done an unofficial summer internship or been very lucky in a regional office struggling to fill positions.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it was a regional office, but it just shows it's possible. I know of two first years who have made it onto summer internships at IBs, though I must say they are both pretty outstanding candidates...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.