Confused about OU BSc Computing an IT Watch

tessybear13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am looking at starting on the OU BSc course in Computing and IT in February 2017 and studying it full time as I don't currently have a job.

At first I had some questions and so I gave them a call and the lovely lady on the phone was very friendly and helpful and she registered me on the course and the three modules worth 120 credits and she even gave me advise on applying for student finance and gave me all the info I needed.
Then I had another question a few days later so emailed their support team but I got this reply and now I am very confused as to what I should do!

"With regards to studying full-time in February there are a few issues with this.
Due to funding rules we cannot charge our students more than a certain amount in an academic year. If you study 120 credits in February your Stage One would be complete. Due to the fact our Level 2 and 3 modules only have October start dates, you would not be able to study again until October 2018.
So we recommend the following study pattern:

Stage One
February 2017-September 2017- 60 credits
October 2017-June 2018- 60 credits

Stage Two
October 2018-June 2019- 120 credits

Stage Three
October 2019-June 2020- 120 credits"

It's a little discouraging being told that I won't be able to study again until almost a whole year after my first "year" is finished, and even more discouraging that the lady on the phone never mentioned any of this to me when enrolling me onto 120 credits worth of modules.

Does anyone have any advise on this? TIA
Rosco316
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Technically your not having to "wait a year" you just can't study the full 120 credits this year. They're right that you can't study the full 120 credits in a oner this year to do that you'd need to have registered in september in time for the start of the academic year in October. The only other work around is if you can find 2 additional 30 credit modules for your degree pathway which starts in april which would finish in september 2017.

Other than that i'd pretty much second what student support have told you.
tessybear13
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rosco316)
Technically your not having to "wait a year" you just can't study the full 120 credits this year. They're right that you can't study the full 120 credits in a oner this year to do that you'd need to have registered in september in time for the start of the academic year in October. The only other work around is if you can find 2 additional 30 credit modules for your degree pathway which starts in april which would finish in september 2017.

Other than that i'd pretty much second what student support have told you.
But that is not the case though as they have already enrolled me on the full 120 credits starting in Feb 2017 and ending in Sep 2017 with no issues. They didn't tell me that if I do this I will have to wait until Oct 2018 to start my second year until weeks after I have been enrolled!
Palcooky72
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What I have seen, you can only get 120 credits per year, what I planned as I'm starting also in February was: TU100 60 credits & TM129 30 credits (running starts 28 January 2017 -> September 2017), then in the last part of the year enrolling in the discovering mathematics or essentials math 30 credits (running Oct 2017 -> 2018).
I'm also looking at the same course starting in January/February 2017. This is my plan but I haven't spoken with anyone yet.
Hopefully java will be replaced by Python at this time as iv seen Object-oriented Java programming (expected to start for the last time in October 2017).

Is this available for you also? Just an idea at the moment as starting at this time (Jan/Feb) I find is not the best to start.
Palcooky72
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Perhaps a 60 credit course + 30 credit course (Feb -> Sept), then in September add another 30 credit course(October -> 2018), then in the following September you could continue as most do (who enrol in September).

I'm also looking at the same course starting in January/February 2017. This is my plan but I haven't spoken with anyone yet:

What I have seen, you can only get 120 credits per year, what I planned as I'm starting also in February was: TU100 60 credits & TM129 30 credits (running starts 28 January 2017 -> September 2017), then in the last part of the year enrolling in the discovering mathematics or essentials math 30 credits (running Oct 2017 -> 2018).

Hopefully java will be replaced by Python at this time as iv seen Object-oriented Java programming (expected to start for the last time in October 2017).

Is this available for you also? Just an idea at the moment as starting at this time (Jan/Feb) I find is not the best to start.
tessybear13
Rep:
?
(Original post by Palcooky72)
Perhaps a 60 credit course + 30 credit course (Feb -> Sept), then in September add another 30 credit course(October -> 2018), then in the following September you could continue as most do (who enrol in September).

I'm also looking at the same course starting in January/February 2017. This is my plan but I haven't spoken with anyone yet:

Hey, thanks for the reply, yes that is the same course that I am enrolled on!

I really didn't know much about credits or how many you can do a year etc so I called and got a very nice lady on the phone and she was extremely helpful but it seems like she really didn't explain everything to me properly as she just enrolled me on the full 120 credits, TU100, TM129 and the Mathematics modules all starting in February, she never mentioned that it might be a better idea for me to spread out the modules until next year and that is what has confused me haha

Yes I can see all of the course and modules info on the StudentHome page on the OU website, which is very helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (197)
24.29%
Pop (196)
24.17%
Jazz (33)