Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm finding it really hard to say in my PS that I play the piano and tennis, because I don't know how to link it back to economics! Also, I am having trouble trying to communicate my "obsessive passion" across. Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You arnt expected to link EVERYTHING to Economics. The Personal statement should give an overall image of the person you are. They want all-rounded people, not a economics-obsessed kid! Also if your PS looks like its overly moulded around economics - it really does look bad and they know what your trying to do. You keep it simple, you talk about yourself, why you wanna do economics/why it interests you and when talking about extra curriculars - they DO not have to link with the chosen field. Humans were not created to do all their actions linked to 1 field within social science and neither will they expect you to.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. But competitive unis like cambridge and LSE really expect to see an "obsessive passion" as my careers teacher said, and thats what I'm finding hard to do.

ReputationRep:
    :toofunny:

:ditto: to what ma2k5. You can put out an 'economic-obsessived' vibe in a few paragraphs - you don't need to link everything to Economics.

ReputationRep:
    You should see mine. I had my old economics teacher look at it and his comment was that i should tone it down in one or two places as i come across as potentially a bit too geekish mission accomplished

ReputationRep:
    When I am not using the school provided funding for researching various economic data and writing articles for The Economist and Financial Times, i like to compose music which i subsequently play at the local Town Hall for charity purposes with all proceeds going to homeless children in Rwanda.

:yy:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XIII)
    You should see mine. I had my old economics teacher look at it and his comment was that i should tone it down in one or two places as i come across as potentially a bit too geekish mission accomplished
    any way I can take a peek at yours?

ReputationRep:
    In theory you could, but to be selfishly honest, i'm reluctant to do so.

No offence, but i don't know you in the least bit and i'm not going to risk sending my personal statement over the internet to some randomer.

However, i reccomend you visit this site:

www.studential.com

Look at the sample personal statements. Although mine is a bit different i learnt a lot from them. And again, it's nothing personal i'd just rather not risk making my PS available to random people until i'm sitting nicely in the uni lecture hall (UCAS are being highly vigilant on plagarism this year - for the first time ALL personal statements are being run through a system to check for plagarism so be careful).

ReputationRep:
    oh you're applying this year? Yea, I've been on that site, but the ones there aren't very good...

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in the process of completing my 8th Grade Piano and I have regularly participated in music competitions and concerts, winning 1st and 2nd place prizes.

This is what i wrote. Short and to the point. This is just to give you an idea. although i really like my fictional example and honestly don't understand why you don't want to use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvash)
    oh you're applying this year? Yea, I've been on that site, but the ones there aren't very good...
    Yea that's why i'm reluctant to make it public yet.

I agree with you that the ones on that aren't great, although i remember thinking two of them were relatively impressive. Still, several of them got offers from Ox and some from LSE so clearly they're helpful personally though mine is quite different from many of them. Far more focus on economic theory than applied and refers more to economists/economic texts than those on studential

ReputationRep:
    did you actually talk about economic theory and put across your own opinions? Also, I am finding it hard to add a "personal" touch to it regarding the economics.

Btw, what unis you going for? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvash)
    did you actually talk about economic theory and put across your own opinions? Also, I am finding it hard to add a "personal" touch to it regarding the economics.

Btw, what unis you going for? :p:
    Lol nope. Didn't want to appear too arrogant and cocky by giving opinions (which admissions tutors could strongly disagree with!). More went along the lines of interested in etc and most of the theory i talked about (and this was only part of the statement, far from all) concerned advanced microeconomic theories... and some macroeconomic stuff on monetary policy, linked a bit with fiscal.

As for personal touch, just try and put something you don't think someone else will have written - something which when the admissions tutor is reading they will think they haven't read that for. If you mean trying to seem personally and emotionally invovled just stuff in a load of 'passions' etc

And unis i'm applying for are:

Nottingham
    Warwick
    UCL
    Cambridge
    LSE

ReputationRep:
    How did you actually incorporate the theories into the statement? If you didn't give opinions, did you just explain the theories?

ReputationRep:
    No no - i think i've given too great an impression of how much i encorporated these theories

There was only about 5 lines on them in the end...

How i encorporated them was with regards to reading i've done outside class - in this case a bit of Keynes and John Kay

Although i did mention about another 5 lines of economic theory relating to other areas later in the statement which was mostly to do with relevant work experience. Overall theory wasn't a considerable part of my statement, probably about 12 lines or so.... i'm just saying that relative to a lot of other personal statements i included quite a bit of theory (that's usually because most personal statements include next to none )

ReputationRep:
    When u say ps are scanned,u mean all ps from this year are read by someone or....?
    Anyway,XIII,brave choices meh...when I look at my chhoices I think that I'm either over-confident or a complete idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valeryblack)
    Anyway,XIII,brave choices meh...when I look at my chhoices I think that I'm either over-confident or a complete idiot.
    Unless your application is excellent, I'd have to opt for the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valeryblack)
    When u say ps are scanned,u mean all ps from this year are read by someone or....?
    I personally wouldn't take as much risk as you plus i only really want to do pure econ.. anyway, if i was a betting man i'd say you'd get an offer from one of them but i think i'd be ****ting myself until i got that offer with the ones your applying to

Nottingham should be my safety net - spoke to their DoS of economics at their open day and told him my GCSEs and predicted IB and he said he could see no reason as to why i wouldn't be given offer (unless my reference or PS were ****) so at least i should get one offer

ReputationRep:
    Well,I'm not English+I'm not applying only to the UK so....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.