Turn on thread page Beta

Illness + Oxbridge application. watch

ReputationRep:
    Nowt.

ReputationRep:
    On the oxford application form there's a little box on the second(?) page for additional information, you should put this in there as in as it may require special arrangement. Also get your referee to mention it and possible be willing to provide medical proof.

All in all it's 150% at the discretion of the universities, so you'll have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    But would it not be used against me? I don't think any university would give an offer to someone who is going to be very sick and won't be able to study well during their years there.

If I don't mention it (alright, so I'm hiding summat against them), at least I'd get the same chance as anyone else to be judged on my ability and potential?

I'm just really confused and worried. At the moment, I'm also finding it extremely difficult to walk and this is meant to be the preliminary stage. It feels like I've wasted all the years before of my life - so much preparation and studying suddenly amounting to nothing, simply because of a few insect bites and one 60K hiking trip.
    I don't really have much in the way of advice, but I just thought I'd say that's really bad luck, and I hope it doesn't turn out as bad as you think.

If it came to the worst, would it be possible to delay going to Uni for a couple of years until you could make the most of it, and have the best chance of getting in?

ReputationRep:
    Again it's at their discretion, but this is clearly a valid reason if there was to be a poor interview performance so they would appreciate it. Certainly for Oxford, considering you're going to be there for 2/3 days, they would really need to know for insurence and safety reasons.

Ultimately it's your choice, but if I was in your position I would give as much information as possible.

ReputationRep:
    {hugs Deianra} You never know, it might not turn out as bad as you think. Wait until after you've been to the doctors before you decide anything {hugs}

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend contacting the Oxford Disability Office. I've recently been sent a whole load of stuff from them talking about what special arrangements they have to provide me with (probably hardly any, I'm just trying to claim stuff from the Govt...), and the important and relevant thing is that it's confidential if you want it to be. There might even be people at Ox who suffer from the same thing, so they'll be able to give you advice.

ReputationRep:
    cant they cure it with antibiotics or is your condition too far developed?

ReputationRep:
    That's true - I didn't consider insurance/health/safety at all.

Mm, thanks Baz

To top it off, my Harvard application pack arrived today. It's so pretty...gah.
    They would certainly take it into consideration; and even if you got and made your offer they would find out sooner or later, so it really is best to be straight with them. Hopefully it will be seen in a positive light, but they do need to judge if you are able to complete the course to a suitable level, and if this illness turns out to be long term, there is a strong possibility that they would have to consider their position and not offer a place. Sorry to put a negative spin on things, but as nice as "get well soons" are, it's imnportant to me a realist.

What US places are you going for?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should mention it if it is going to affect your performance in your Oxford application. If it isn't and may subside soon then there is no need. It could well harm your interview preparation and performance, and if it does then you really have to let Oxford know. They can then try and discern what your real ability is rather than what you show in an ill state.

For other unis your application is almost complete already (you've started on your PS and should be able to complete it fine, your reference is done as are your AS levels). The only consideration is whether or not it will affect your performance in your A2 exams next Summer. I don't think you will really be able to tell this yet, or even by October so probably no need to mention it. If you do underperform and miss an offer then you could speak to the universities who have accepted you nearer the time, eg next easter. Considering the strength of your application, any uni that makes you an offer is likely to be flexible to get you there and this way it doesn't affect whether they make you an offer or not. But if you don't get in to Oxford you will probably reapply, so it's not too relevant anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know more than what's already been written, but I do know a bit about the disease. My little brother had it, and he did have a rough time while undergoing treatment. However, he is currently (approximately 4-5 months after finishing treatment) without any traces of the disease. The fact that you're young increases your chances of a quick and complete recovery immensely.

Nothing is 100% secure, including this. Yes, there are some people that have been struck hard by the bacteria, however, the vast majority are not subject to the more extreme symptoms. I'm not trying to say that it's not a condition that is to be taken seriously, only that you should try to look at it from a realistic perspective, rather than an overly pessimistic. This is indeed very hard, but try to look at things objectively rather than always thinking in worst-case scenarios. Doctors are generally speaking much better at analysing the state in which your body is in than nightmare rumours from the internet...

I would be open with this to all universities, they all seem (at least that is the impression I have been left with) to be willing to accomodate students in special circumstances. All I really can say is good luck, and I hope you get well soon!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask how long he was under treatment for and what he experienced during that time? I really don't like the sound of the paralysis. Did he just get fevers, migraines and a lot of joint aches?
    I'm not quite sure about the exact lengths, but I think it was about 4-6 weeks. Yes, he got symptoms like the ones you mentioned (not paralysis though!), and he was also feeling very exhausted. It's not a comfortable experience, as one would expect, but nothing overly extreme either.
    Oh and another thing to bear in mind - I may be young, but my immune system is a complete joke. In an average term, I'm off school for about 10% to 25% of the time - colds, flu, viruses - everything there is going around, I'm sure of catching it. I'm currently working on raising my fitness level in the summer and I've been mostly feeling very well...bar the mornings and evenings when even moving the slightest is agony.
    That sounds like my brother (or, in fact, also me), and, I'm pretty sure that it's not the immune system of a young person that makes it easier to cure (in any case, the immune system of my little brother has always been pretty bad). Can I ask how long time it has passed since you got bitten?

ReputationRep:
    well if the anti-biotics get rid of most of the symptoms you should be fine. As far as i'm aware i'm perfectly well, yet i suffer from being tired all the time. But then again, that probably comes from being a lazy git :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite cynical at heart and I've always seen the glass as half empty. The realistic view is important to me - thank you. They don't say that honesty is the best policy for nothing and I do value your opinion highly. Better this than bumped up hopes, which will fall crashing to the ground.

My main concern is Yale EA vs. Harvard EA. I don't like the sound of Princeton and ED is definitely not for me - I'd reject any university for Oxford, anyday. I prefer Yale's environment to Harvard's but Harvard's social studies concentration is completely drool-worthy...will ponder a bit more on it.
    Hopefully it won't come to anything and Oxford are very considerate when it comes to this type of thing. But they have an image and reputation to maintain, so if they feel there isn't a realistic chance of a candidate gaining at least a 2i for whatever reason, there's not much they can do. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I'm like that anyway. Must be the Economist in me.

ED didn't suit me either, I wasn't prepared to make a commitment to an American university before I knew the outcome of my UCAS application. I think EA is a far better system, and it helped to stagger things so I wasn't doing them all at once. Never liked Yale, don't think it really suited me, I probable should have looked at Princeton more, but outside the US it dosen't have the same appeal; I haven't heard to many international students rave about it. As for Harvard, in reality it's probable the most overrated university in the world for undergraduate studies, but it's Harvard after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    I'd recommend contacting the Oxford Disability Office. I've recently been sent a whole load of stuff from them talking about what special arrangements they have to provide me with..
    ah, just when you get there they ignore you it would seem.. :rolleyes:
    (sorry..personal rant there!)

Baz is doing a good job as a realist..so i'll just send more fluffy, get well soon wishes *hugs* & on a semi-optimistic note..you've done your ASs etc now..so can spend the whole summer focussed on recovery if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    ah, just when you get there they ignore you it would seem.. :rolleyes:
    (sorry..personal rant there!)
    What sort of stuff are they incompetent with? I don't have any huge disabilities, but the ability to talk to them without feeling like a leper would be a bonus...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    What sort of stuff are they incompetent with? I don't have any huge disabilities, but the ability to talk to them without feeling like a leper would be a bonus...
    nothing major..i just sent an email over a week ago that hasn't even been acknowledged yet (re. exam arrangements - the proctors told me to contact them post prelims), time for a follow up call i think!

& i don't think mine count as 'huge' either..maybe they just feel ignored & exploited by me as this is the first time i've contacted them since matriculating..

ReputationRep:
    Just a few facts. Most people who contract Lyme Disease are cured completely by the course of antibiotics. It normally takes only a few weeks. The serious side effects of the disease can really only develop after you've been infected for months. The key to treatment is catching it at an early stage.

The doctor will most likely give you a course of antibiotics such as doxycycline. Also even advanced cases can be completely cured these days. One thing the body is not good at is developing a resistance against the bacteria, so once it is gone be sure to follow all the guidelines to prevent the disease, because unlike other diseases having it once and recovering does not make you immune to it.

Oh, and get well soon .

ReputationRep:
    *hugs* I hope you have a swift recovery, and from what people have said, it seems really likely

ReputationRep:
    I'd mention it Meg, otherwise they'll assume there was no good reason for any poor grades you may get...etc.

I hope everything works out well for you!

G

ReputationRep:
    I had Lyme disease once. The treatment lasted 2 weeks I think and I was fine after that. Its been more than 10 years now and I havent experienced any symptoms since then. Alhamdulillah.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.