The Student Room Group

Why are women so rude/self-absorbed when it comes to personal space, manners?

What is it with women being so self-absorbed when it comes to personal space and manners? I've noticed that out of the house, they are much more likely than men to push into a line and think that they are simply entitled to "Because I'm me".

And when I'm just walking on the footpath, say I'm walking on the left hand side and the woman coming in the opposite direction on the right. She'll see me, and then suddenly move into my lane. So I move to the opposite one, and then she'll move into it again. Recently it happened like five times in a row. What is that? Seriously?

I've noticed that when I see another man, usually we seem to be quite considerate. Usually we'll notice one another, and then there's this almost imperceptible nod, as if to say "Good day to you, sir!". And we'll pass by without incident.

Similarly, I've noticed in the supermarket or a shop, if you alight on a particular thing that you're looking at, often women seem to be like, "What's he looking at?" and push in front to see, as if they're utterly incapable of directing their own interest in various things and have to jump in, just in case someone is getting something they're not.

Ugh! Of course I'm not saying all women are like this, not at all. But it seems like whereas almost no men are like this in public spaces, a very good proportion of women are. And before this becomes "You're just a woman-hating basement-dweller", I'm not straight so I don't have to suck up to / white knight women just because they have a monopoly on vaginas. If women are acting c***ty, I will call them out. And it seems many are; they adopt the attitude, "**** you, get out of my way. Woman coming through!"

By the way, this isn't an anti-feminism thing. I've noticed butch / masculine / feminist women seem to act much more like guys in terms of being considerate in public spaces. It's the real princesses, the sort you can imagine being a bridezilla, who act this way
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

>I've noticed that when I see another man, usually we seem to be quite considerate. Usually we'll notice one another, and then there's this almost imperceptible nod, as if to say "Good day to you, sir!". And we'll pass by without incident.

I'm dying :rofl: that's so quaint. ''Good day to you sir''

*Tips fedora*
Original post by l'etranger

I'm dying :rofl: that's so quaint. ''Good day to you sir''

*Tips fedora*

I prefer the top hat

Original post by AlexanderHam
What is it with women being so self-absorbed when it comes to personal space and manners? I've noticed that out of the house, they are much more likely than men to push into a line and think that they are simply entitled to "Because I'm me".

And when I'm just walking on the footpath, say I'm walking on the left hand side and the woman coming in the opposite direction on the right. She'll see me, and then suddenly move into my lane. So I move to the opposite one, and then she'll move into it again. Recently it happened like five times in a row. What is that? Seriously?

I've noticed that when I see another man, usually we seem to be quite considerate. Usually we'll notice one another, and then there's this almost imperceptible nod, as if to say "Good day to you, sir!". And we'll pass by without incident.

Similarly, I've noticed in the supermarket or a shop, if you alight on a particular thing that you're looking at, often women seem to be like, "What's he looking at?" and push in front to see, as if they're utterly incapable of directing their own interest in various things and have to jump in, just in case someone is getting something they're not.

Ugh! Of course I'm not saying all women are like this, not at all. But it seems like whereas almost no men are like this in public spaces, a very good proportion of women are. And before this becomes "You're just a woman-hating basement-dweller", I'm not straight so I don't have to suck up to / white knight women just because they have a monopoly on vaginas. If women are acting c***ty, I will call them out. And it seems many are; they adopt the attitude, "**** you, get out of my way. I'm a woman, nay a princess!"

By the way, this isn't an anti-feminism thing. I've noticed butch / masculine / feminist women seem to act much more like guys in terms of being considerate in public spaces. It's the real princesses, the sort you can imagine being a bridezilla, who act this way

Goodness you are so sensitive, perceptive, understanding, - you can tell who's a butch / masculine(?) / feminist (!) woman, on sight. Wow.
Original post by pickup
Goodness you are so sensitive, perceptive, understanding, - you can tell who's a butch / masculine(?) / feminist (!) woman, on sight. Wow.

I'm not going to answer comments that avoid the main topic to focus on trivia
Original post by Angry Bird
its feminism getting into their head. Gotta take up all the space cos their fat cottage cheese ass won't fit on a chair let alone a space

Not at all, the feminists seem to act more masculine (polite) in my experience.

It's the princesses, the putative bridezillas, the women who expect to be put on a pedestal, who believe they should have precedence before men... they seem to be the ones who act like this.
Reply 6
Not at all, the feminists seem to act more masculine (polite) in my experience.

It's the princesses, the putative bridezillas, the women who expect to be put on a pedestal, who believe they should have precedence before men... they seem to be the ones who act like this.

Love it when gay guys call women out on this, they just play identity politics usually. I guess it's just spoiled little brats who have been taught that they deserve everything and guys provide it from birth.
Reply 7
I prefer the top hat

Classy but so hard to pull off. Tbh my head is too small it'd look ridiculous.
Original post by Mr Poo
Love it when gay guys call women out on this, they just play identity politics usually. I guess it's just spoiled little brats who have been taught that they deserve everything and guys provide it from birth.

That's essentially it. To give you an example, my younger cousin (a woman) is really beautiful, feminine, super intelligent (1st-class honours in law), and quite successful in business (decided not to go into law, is now making a ton of money in the City). But she's also a bit of a cool dude; she has intelligent media preferences (can talk to her about Serial or Westworld), she's a bit of a foodie, she's funny (few women are).. in short you can hang out with her.

If any woman is entitled to think themselves better than other people, she can. But she doesn't have that sort of stuck up princess mindset, she's just like... normal? I don't know how to explain it.. men can relate to her. It just seems a shame to me that many women these days either adopt a kind of hostile, identity-politics feminism, or else take refuge in the most obnoxious sort of "I'm a princess, worship me. Everything had to be just so" attitude

My hope is that as the sexes become more equal, we will have less of those two unpleasant extremes as there won't have to be that reaction against traditional roles
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr Poo
Classy but so hard to pull off. Tbh my head is too small it'd look ridiculous.

Sometimes its practice makes perfect; one is always more self-conscious and critical of one's self than others are critical of you. The more you wear morning suits (top and tails) and dinner jackets (or a "tux", as Americans and people from Essex say), the more it just feels like a second skin and you can rock that wear.

Top hats should be fitted anyway, so you get one made up for you and it will look brilliant, I assure you. Go down to Jermyn Street and check out Bates or Christys and just try some on, see how you go. I guarantee you will change your mind about them (then the only difficulty is making sure you go out to enough black tie and weddings to justify splashing out on all those clothes)
I actually have noticed this OP and it's probably genetic/biological. Women are paranoid, neurotic and defensive whereas men are open and gregarious, as a sort of general rule.

By the way, Rachel Bloom is absolutely hilarious. She's not butch, she's really pretty I think... op I forgot, she's Jewish too haha. Hitch was right, as usual

You should check out Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, a sort-of musical written by Rachel Bloom, its eye-wateringly funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zShVwcSsM2I

[video="youtube;zShVwcSsM2I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zShVwcSsM2I[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
That Hitchens video came to mind when writing it. See my comment three above, about my cousin.

I don't think it's genetic, my own view is that it's societal (as the sexes become more equal, it will be less a situation where men have to pursue women, and so women will have to be more funny). I do know women who are funny, relatable, who you can hang out with... they're not shrieking feminists but nor are they princesses. As a rule, they tend to be more intelligent, more independent, more successful, I've noticed.

You definitely get a certain sort of masculine woman who is ''bro tier'', the best example I can think is Jo Brand, but she does nothing in the trouser department.

Way ahead of you man

[video="youtube;3sQEb9TSACY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQEb9TSACY[/video]
X

Speaking of RB's DDs, have you seen this?

[video="youtube;aZx5zfkG6oU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZx5zfkG6oU[/video]
I understand what you mean and while I know plenty of women that are not like this and act like normal human beings I think it stems from the whole "you cant hit me I am a girl" thing.

I am lucky that most of my female friends are down to earth and just act like normal human beings but I do see plenty of women who think they are so entitled for no other reason than being another gender

Ugh! Of course I'm not saying all women are like this, not at all. But it seems like whereas almost no men are like this in public spaces, a very good proportion of women are. And before this becomes "You're just a woman-hating basement-dweller", I'm not straight so I don't have to suck up to / white knight women just because they have a monopoly on vaginas. If women are acting c***ty, I will call them out. And it seems many are; they adopt the attitude, "**** you, get out of my way. Woman coming through!"

I might suggest because they see themselves as leagues in dating terms above you which makes them feel entitled to act that way (not that I wish to demean you myself, I am just speculating what goes on in the airhead mind). They do not consider you as another human being but as something that is altogether lower than them. Your post reminded me of "On the Suffering of The World" by Arthur Schoppenhauer where he talks about the differences in how the men and women of his time behave differently from one another. He notes how it is normal for a man of higher class to treat others of his sex, however far below him, with a certain inalienable standard of respect whereas women on the other hand are so vicious and catty toward those of their own sex who rank even the slightly below themselves. Perhaps your story is an example of how this behaviour has carried through into the modern day where each gender has equal rights. Now that women no longer have an inferiority complex to men the latter are now fair game to be put in their place in the eyes of those of the former that consider themselves a superior class of human to their victims because of the value of beauty in our society.
(edited 7 years ago)
Very noticeable in nightclubs as well the number of women that just barge through. Very impressed with the number of men that tap on the shoulder first. I also dont think this its particularly good form to just harangue a random guy for your group photo either. Naturally all BAME women are victims regardless of dress, alcohol intake and behaviour.
(edited 7 years ago)
feminist reported me haha

See this is why women should be killed
Yup, nice job making a generalisation about 3 and a half billion people.
I'm not really inclined to agree so much with this.

I think to a degree women do have a bit less spacial awareness (there was a study a while back which showed this and suggested it was the reason for the stereotype of their 'inability to park a car' though I can't vouch for the validity of said study) and I won't disregard some of it is the 'men don't hit women' social attitude but all in all it seems a bit of a flawed anecdote.

In my experience men and women can be equally difficult in different ways. Women tend not to see you at all more often than men, and tend to walk three or four across blocking the whole path and refusing to move to allow you to remain on it as well as a greater tendency to refuse to move even slightly. Men tend to either walk straight at you, to the point of shoulder checking you if neither person moves. In other instances there tends to be an unspoken hierarchy - not that I'm sure how it forms - whereby either one or the other man moves over before said collision occurs.

This of course is excepting polite people, of whom in my experience the majority are, who tend to both try and make some room for each other. My experience may be offset a bit by being quite a large obstacle to bump in to however.

Quick Reply

Latest