Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I narrowly missed my offer to read English at Oxford this year and was wondering whether it sounds realistically feasible to self-tutor oneself for English A-levels in one gap year? (Is it a 1-year course?) Also, does it seem in any way possible to undertake this adventure while taking a first year course at uni?

I have no clue how big the A-levels are... My only points of reference being the American AP, SAT IIs, and the German Abi.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tiger87)
    Hey,

I narrowly missed my offer to read English at Oxford this year and was wondering whether it sounds realistically feasible to self-tutor oneself for English A-levels in one gap year? (Is it a 1-year course?) Also, does it seem in any way possible to undertake this adventure while taking a first year course at uni?

I have no clue how big the A-levels are... My only points of reference being the American AP, SAT IIs, and the German Abi.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
    Just to clarify: Are you talking about a single A-level in a particular subject or a complete set of three A-levels plus one AS-level?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Just to clarify: Are you talking about a single A-level in a particular subject or a complete set of three A-levels plus one AS-level?:confused:
    Just a single A-level subject (English).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tiger87)
    Just a single A-level subject (English).
    In that case it might work in theory (it's two years' work, but you could probably squeeze that into one if you're keen), but finding a test centre could prove a bit tricky. As far as I know you can only do A-levels in certain countries, and Germany isn't one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm...ask the Cambridge Assessment people (http://www.cie.org.uk) about centres and syllabuses - the syllabus might tell you how many texts you need to cover and the skills you need to learn.

The main problem is that there aren't any teachers to read over your essays and offer guidance on the standard required, but teaching yourself the texts themselves should be fairly straightforward as there is a wealth of books and aids such as Cliffs Notes if you get stuck. If you've already had an offer, I think you should be able to manage A-level since interviews for English generally seem to require a bit of intelligent chatter and argument bout texts and some skill at practical criticism - the same skills required for A-level.

If you look at schools in your area they might offer A-levels and if so, you could try asking them to register you as a private candidate.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.