Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I finally decided it was time to start using linux and downloaded an Ubuntu 7.04 iso.
    After burning this image to CD (using Infra Recorder) and setting the (IDE) CD drive to highest boot priority, I duly restarted.

Windows XP!
    ...Arse. The CD reading light thingy flickers as soon as I switch on the PC, but goes off a short while after (ie. before it begins to boot windows).

Try again with another freshly burnt and verified CD?
    ker-WINDOWS'd.

I've successfully booted a live CD (can't remember which distribution) in the past, which is annoying. So, any ideas on why my PC doesn't seem to want to boot from the CD drive this time? Specs etc. can be posted if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Have you made sure you've actually burnt the contents of the image onto the CD rather than just an iso file?

ReputationRep:
    yeah sounds to me like you've made a data cd containing the .iso image rather than burning the iso directly.

either that, or you've not actually set up the boot priority correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I definately burnt the image correctly and the boot priority is
    1) CD Drive
    2) Hard Disk
    3) Removable (apparantly floppy drive).

Cheers for the suggestions though!

ReputationRep:
    try that cd in another computer
    try another cd (like a windows recovery disk or w/eva) in this computer

process of elimination

ReputationRep:
    Could be as simple as the cd failed to burn correctly - that's exactly what happened to the first ubuntu iso I burned - checked it against the iso and there were loads of errors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j00ni)
    Could be as simple as the cd failed to burn correctly - that's exactly what happened to the first ubuntu iso I burned - checked it against the iso and there were loads of errors
    or it could be a download error. doesnt matter how many times you burn the iso if the iso its self is corrupt

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.