I am so worried
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by drriversong)
I am so worried
According to stats, it's better than the average offer holder/successful applicant, so you've done enough on the HAT in isolation to be accepted. I think the other parts of your application now need to hold up to that, and if they do, you've got a great shot at getting an offer
drriversong
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
According to stats, it's better than the average offer holder/successful applicant, so you've done enough on the HAT in isolation to be accepted. I think the other parts of your application now need to hold up to that, and if they do, you've got a great shot at getting an offer
Thanks for the quick response! I saw it during the interview and lost my trail of thought! It's weird that it's apparently a decent score as I came out of that exam crying and I didn't even finish Q3!
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the quick response! I saw it during the interview and lost my trail of thought! It's weird that it's apparently a decent score as I came out of that exam crying and I didn't even finish Q3!
I don't think a lot of people conclusively finish admissions tests, there's often guessing towards the end of the MCQs on some papers and rushing on the essay ones.

Best of luck, anyway.
66mhnldn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
a HAT of 75 is excellent. Now I'm worried as I am sure I didn't do that well 😂
SonOfAGeek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 66mhnldn)
a HAT of 75 is excellent. Now I'm worried as I am sure I didn't do that well 😂
Same here. I guess I'll be studying somewhere else next year.
drriversong
Rep:
?
(Original post by SonOfAGeek)
Same here. I guess I'll be studying somewhere else next year.
I have below average Oxford GCSEs (4A* 6A) so it's probably levelled it out! My interviews were nothing special and I was pooled to 2 other colleges so I am not expecting an offer :/ How did you find the interviews?
U.N.Owen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have below average Oxford GCSEs (4A* 6A) so it's probably levelled it out! My interviews were nothing special and I was pooled to 2 other colleges so I am not expecting an offer :/ How did you find the interviews?
Keep your hopes up! I understand the feeling, I was interviewed at another college on the last day staying there and I think the interview went horrendously. I loved the initial college I applied to and I think the interviews had gone better so was rather upset. But in all fairness, no one really knows how the interview process work out so I suggest we focus on getting ready for Christmas instead.
You applied to Oriel right? I didn't get to meet you. How did you acquire the HAT result?
drriversong
Rep:
?
(Original post by U.N.Owen)
Keep your hopes up! I understand the feeling, I was interviewed at another college on the last day staying there and I think the interview went horrendously. I loved the initial college I applied to and I think the interviews had gone better so was rather upset. But in all fairness, no one really knows how the interview process work out so I suggest we focus on getting ready for Christmas instead.
You applied to Oriel right? I didn't get to meet you. How did you acquire the HAT result?
Did you apply to Oriel too? Such a shame as I only met a few historians and would have liked to have met more! I thought my Oriel interviews went really well but that obviously wasn't the case! I saw it on the sheet that the tutors write on- the professor at St Benets had it on her lap
SonOfAGeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My first interview was awful. 2 out of 10 country on the source as the tutors (Dr. Mulholland, Dr. Healey) fired a relentless series of Qs and disagreed with every answer. I was nervous and did not handle it as well as I could have done ( I had much better answers once I was out of the chair!). My second interview I was more relaxed and enjoyed more as a result (prof. Rosser, Dr. Power).

It is just very hard to tell. I'm a bit disappointed with myself as I know I am better than I showed. My school, despite being private, is not hugely academic and does not send lots of people to Oxbridge (one in last two years) and we only had one practice session (no private tutoring) shortly before I came up, so compared to some I was probably woefully under-prepared having leant heavily on here/You Tube to help.

We will see.
SonOfAGeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It was similar at Catz but it seemed at least some people who had their interviews Wednesday got released early (I was told by a student guide that at least two people went home before I had my second interview on Thursday).

It was my impression (cannot say fact) that those of us interviewed on Thursday generally had to hang around longer and that could just be mechanical to allow other colleges to see our posted interview scores.

Most of us did not spend a lot of time in the JCR (too much nervous tension) so I don't really have any sense whether there was any correlation between how people felt their interviews had gone & how long they were held back.

From a prospective student point of view I do think the process is unnecessarily opaque but I guess that is part of the history/mystery of Oxford.
Nikita_2313
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That is a great score, above the averge of a successful Oxford applicant. You'll probably get an offer. I applied to Oriel too, for History and Spanish, with 10 A* and 1 A at GCSE and 4A* predicted at A-level (3 A at AS). My HAT must have been terrible, as I did not get an interview. I find it unfair that HAT has so much weight in an Oxford application, but I can only blame myself.

Good luck to you though!
U.N.Owen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did haha, the truth is again no one really knows what it means to be pooled, and the Oriel interviews (I'm guessing you had the same as mine) were almost entirely source/text analysis based when I spent ages preparing PS and written work. And ahh lucky you I quite far away from the tutors XDD
Did you apply to Oriel too? Such a shame as I only met a few historians and would have liked to have met more! I thought my Oriel interviews went really well but that obviously wasn't the case! I saw it on the sheet that the tutors write on- the professor at St Benets had it on her lap
U.N.Owen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My first interview was awful. 2 out of 10 country on the source as the tutors (Dr. Mulholland, Dr. Healey) fired a relentless series of Qs and disagreed with every answer. I was nervous and did not handle it as well as I could have done ( I had much better answers once I was out of the chair!). My second interview I was more relaxed and enjoyed more as a result (prof. Rosser, Dr. Power).

It is just very hard to tell. I'm a bit disappointed with myself as I know I am better than I showed. My school, despite being private, is not hugely academic and does not send lots of people to Oxbridge (one in last two years) and we only had one practice session (no private tutoring) shortly before I came up, so compared to some I was probably woefully under-prepared having leant heavily on here/You Tube to help.

We will see.
I get what you mean, my final interview at a different college to my initial one I found a disaster, it was entirely source based with 5 tutors (like erm hello?), and the lady basically fired questions, agreed to the points I made correctly about the extract and said : 'No it doesn't.' To a point I made when I stuck to the 'think out loud' advice. I felt really sick and upset after the final one and yes after I left a burst of answers came through my mind.
I really don't know what to make of them, and yes we will see I guess
(In exactly one month :0)
drriversong
Rep:
?

We will see.
Apparently it's a good sign if they disagree with you! They agreed with everything I said and never challenged me so I am soooo worried!
drriversong
Rep:
?
(Original post by U.N.Owen)
I did haha, the truth is again no one really knows what it means to be pooled, and the Oriel interviews (I'm guessing you had the same as mine) were almost entirely source/text analysis based when I spent ages preparing PS and written work. And ahh lucky you I quite far away from the tutors XDD
Tell me about it! I spent ages preparing my PS and written work for interviews and all they focused on were the sources! I found it impossible to gauge how well I did because the interviewers were so nice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (11)
18.33%
No one else does (22)
36.67%
I'm embarrassed about my background (8)
13.33%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (15)
25%
We don't use a video platform (2)
3.33%
I don't have a camera (1)
1.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.67%

Watched Threads