Uni won't remove me from student finance.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
lokalokaloka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I dropped out of Uni this year and I am planning on studying at the OU in a few months, I need to apply for finance but it won't let me remove my current finance application to my previous Uni myself, my Uni has to do it.

For over 5 weeks I have been emailing different departments asking for them to remove me from my student finance multiple times but have had no response from ANYONE, there's a number I called but they left me on hold for ages so I put it down.

What can I do? Is there someone I can complain to? The last time I emailed was this past Monday.
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lokalokaloka)
I dropped out of Uni this year and I am planning on studying at the OU in a few months, I need to apply for finance but it won't let me remove my current finance application to my previous Uni myself, my Uni has to do it.

For over 5 weeks I have been emailing different departments asking for them to remove me from my student finance multiple times but have had no response from ANYONE, there's a number I called but they left me on hold for ages so I put it down.

What can I do? Is there someone I can complain to? The last time I emailed was this past Monday.
I'm assuming you had a full time application before? You can't change a full time application to a part time one, you would need to create a whole new application (You didn't word your post very well, so it was hard to understand what exactly your trying to say)
lokalokaloka
Rep:
?
(Original post by murpo)
I'm assuming you had a full time application before? You can't change a full time application to a part time one, you would need to create a whole new application (You didn't word your post very well, so it was hard to understand what exactly your trying to say)
Yes, I am trying to make a new application but it won't let me until I withdraw from my studies.

When I click "Suspend or withdraw from your studies" on Student Finance it says this:

If you want to suspend or withdraw from your studies for academic year 2016 / 2017 you should contact your university or college.
They’ll get in touch with us and we’ll suspend or withdraw your student finance application.

I've already left Uni, but according to finance I haven't? I'm confused, myself.
I can't make a new application until I withdraw, but the Uni has to withdraw me, I can't do anything and nobody is responding to my emails.
Jackieox
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Id just ring student finance yourself, they can sort it over the phone
murpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, I am trying to make a new application but it won't let me until I withdraw from my studies.

When I click "Suspend or withdraw from your studies" on Student Finance it says this:

If you want to suspend or withdraw from your studies for academic year 2016 / 2017 you should contact your university or college.
They’ll get in touch with us and we’ll suspend or withdraw your student finance application.

I've already left Uni, but according to finance I haven't? I'm confused, myself.
I can't make a new application until I withdraw, but the Uni has to withdraw me, I can't do anything and nobody is responding to my emails.
If your planning to study again before august 2017 then DO NOT get your university to send a withdrawal. A withdrawal of suspension is only needed if your no longer studying in that academic year.

So if your starting in February at the open university all you need to do is send in a paper part time form and your full time application will get deleted (assuming no payments have went out)
lokalokaloka
Rep:
?
(Original post by murpo)
If your planning to study again before august 2017 then DO NOT get your university to send a withdrawal. A withdrawal of suspension is only needed if your no longer studying in that academic year.

So if your starting in February at the open university all you need to do is send in a paper part time form and your full time application will get deleted (assuming no payments have went out)
But I'm gonna be studying at the OU full time, I need to apply for the loan to pay for the course as well as the maintenance loans etc
murpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But I'm gonna be studying at the OU full time, I need to apply for the loan to pay for the course as well as the maintenance loans etc
Open university is classed as part time even if you study full time. You can NOT get a maintenance loan if you study at the open university. Tuition fee only and you need to complete a part time application
lokalokaloka
Rep:
?
(Original post by murpo)
Open university is classed as part time even if you study full time. You can NOT get a maintenance loan if you study at the open university. Tuition fee only and you need to complete a part time application
But the OU offers both part time and full time courses. This is from their website:

Until now, maintenance loans have only been available for full-time students. This may have had an impact on students deciding whether to study full-time or part-time. There has been a sharp decline in part-time students since 2008. To help address this, the Government has announced that, from 2018/19, part-time students will be eligible too.

It sounds to me full time OU students have always been eligible for maintenance loans.

I've emailed student finance, now waiting for a response. Should I ask for the OU's advice too?
murpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But the OU offers both part time and full time courses. This is from their website:

Until now, maintenance loans have only been available for full-time students. This may have had an impact on students deciding whether to study full-time or part-time. There has been a sharp decline in part-time students since 2008. To help address this, the Government has announced that, from 2018/19, part-time students will be eligible too.

It sounds to me full time OU students have always been eligible for maintenance loans.

I've emailed student finance, now waiting for a response. Should I ask for the OU's advice too?
Open university students are not classed as full time to student finance England

you can NOT get a maintenance loan if you study at the open university.

You posted something about 2018/19 that's so far in the future. I don't know if that's true about 18/19 but for 2016/17 and 2017/18 part time students do not get maintenance loans.

You will not be getting a maintenance loan and you can NOT create a full time application for the open university.

And how have you emailed student finance, they don't even have an email address unless you emailed migrant workers or DSA which I don't know why you would ?
PersianCatLady
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Even if you study 120 credits a year with the OU, SFE class it as part-time study.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PersianCatLady)
Even if you study 120 credits a year with the OU, SFE class it as part-time study.
Hi, is this an old thread which I'm going to close now. Please check thread dates before posting. Thanks.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (19)
19%
I'm not sure (2)
2%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (28)
28%
I have already dropped out (3)
3%
I'm not a current university student (48)
48%

Watched Threads