Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My parents keep saying its 18+ because of your eyes finishing development?
    Is this true or not?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, as long as your optician says you're fine, then you can have them. I got mine when I was about 12, but I know of a girl who had them when she was in year 1!!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your eyes! Just ask your optician when you go to your next appointment. A lot of people get them much younger than that. I've had them since I was 13, but I know someone who had them at 11.

ReputationRep:
    Completely untrue... I first started wearing them when I was 13, and I first wore some 'hard' contact lenses which actually stopped you're eyes getting worse to a certain degree. And my optician has a 10 year old that wears contact lenses... I think it just depends whether your optician thinks you can handle them at a younger age or not

ReputationRep:
    As above - I got mine at 13

ReputationRep:
    lol you can have contacts at any age. Personally I don't have any yet because they're so damned expensive! Hopefully getting some in the next month though, before Uni.

ReputationRep:
    They are actually ridiculously overpriced in alot of opticians.. I get mine off of www.aclens.com ... the one's I have were working out at £28 a month and now they're less than £9 a month :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person wanting CL's.
    The main consideration is hygiene. If it is clear that a patient is capable of responsibly (which i am sure you are! ) using CLs then your fine.

Ive worn CLs since I was 11 . The eyes are fully grown by 8/9 years anyway I think....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettygreeneyes99)
    They are actually ridiculously overpriced in alot of opticians.. I get mine off of www.aclens.com ... the one's I have were working out at £28 a month and now they're less than £9 a month :eek:
    CLs can work out to be pricey, it depends on your optician though...
    At specsavers:

£22 for dailies (EV specsavers own brand) or £36 for Daily Acuvue.
    £10 a month for EV Monthly CL's including solutions.
    Assuming that you dont have an astigmatism and need Toric lenses...(monthly Torics £15)

I love my CLs I wear them far too much.

ReputationRep:
    It's best, or advisable, to get them when your eyes stop changing, but this has nothing to do with age! Best person to ask would be your optician. I got mine when I was 15, my eyes had stopped changing. I think it's a bit weird that a 10 year old would get them, as their eyes won't be fully developed, so might cause problems later on, but then again, it may not!

ReputationRep:
    Well I have a type that you can wear while your asleep as well, so apart from taking them out every so often to clean them, I can forget for a month that Im even wearing them

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh I've heard about them, but they scare me!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I was 10 when I first started wearing them
    I was referred at the age of 9, though.

EDIT: I had to get them that young because I'm so poorly sighted and the doctors thought it would slow down the process.

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually need a specific prescription for contacts, or is the information you need the same as a glasses prescription?

ReputationRep:
    I got them at 10 because I totally refused to wear glasses and my eyesight was affecting my schoolwork as I couldn't see the board/anything much past my desk. :p:

My optician gave me the ones you can sleep in because apparently they're better for your eyes but made me take them out every night anyway. Don't know if that helped, but I've never had any problems with them whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    I think the glasses prescription is enough to tell them the strength, but they have to be fitted too which takes ages.
    In that case I'll probably go into an opticians and get it done. Do they charge you for the fitting etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saskia-)
    Depends on the person wanting CL's.
    The main consideration is hygiene. If it is clear that a patient is capable of responsibly (which i am sure you are! ) using CLs then your fine.

Ive worn CLs since I was 11 . The eyes are fully grown by 8/9 years anyway I think....
    :ditto:, but I started at 14. It's more a question of whether the individual is responsible and hygienic enough to avoid infection.

ReputationRep:
    I got mine when I was 15. CL are brill and hassle free

ReputationRep:
    You clearly are a beauty queen then! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the feedback

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.