dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi.

Just wondering if anybody has applied for/completed the English PGCE course have not come from a traditional Lit background? My undergraduate degree will be in English Language and Linguistics. I know some universities are more than happy to take people who haven't done any literature as part of their UG degree course but have an English background still, but I was just wondering how people found the application process, or how you found the transition to getting back into literature...

I'm worried that I'll have forgotten how secondary school kids study lit...
The Boosh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr

I don't see a problem. I studied "English Studies" and got on a PGCE (my course was wide in terms of coverage). Language and Linguistics should be fine too (theoretically). I'd actually argue that you are far more suited to a PGCE than a typical English Lit. grad. on the grounds that linguistics deals with technical elements hidden from most lit. grads. Ideal for primary and secondary.

Power to the people!!!!!!!
dogtanian
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Boosh)
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr

I don't see a problem. I studied "English Studies" and got on a PGCE (my course was wide in terms of coverage). Language and Linguistics should be fine too (theoretically). I'd actually argue that you are far more suited to a PGCE than a typical English Lit. grad. on the grounds that linguistics deals with technical elements hidden from most lit. grads. Ideal for primary and secondary.

Power to the people!!!!!!!

Excellent, I'll be sure to let my admissions tutors know.

I think part of the problem is I've got out of reading literature for pleasure thanks to being so flipping busy all the time, which is something I'll have to get pupils out of the habit of doing too. I'll feel a right hypocrite, hah. But yes, I do also hope my knowledge of language will equally be a benefit in applying and training too.
Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That is exactly what i'm thinking. I want to do English secondary, and i do a linguistics course. But i am doing a short course in Shakespeare with Open Uni, and i read classics and modern classics a lot, so hopefully i'll be alright. Let me know how your app goes, as i've got another year yet before applying.
santogold
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
Good luck to both of you and I'm sure you will do fine. Esp. if you take an extra course with the open university.
dogtanian
Rep:
?
(Original post by yourjoyismylow)
Esp. if you take an extra course with the open university.

Bugger.

Hehe, I'll give it a shot without it first...
santogold
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
Bugger.

Hehe, I'll give it a shot without it first...
I'm sure you will be fine without that too!
The Boosh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
corset! now!
santogold
Report 12 years ago
i knew this would happen!
Neutral_Tones
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Some universities like you to have 50%+ of your course dealing with the subject that you're hoping to do a PGCE in. (Nottingham does for one.) So yeah, you should be fine! Good luck!
dogtanian
Rep:
?
I'm not concerned about Language/Linguistics being enough to get in. Not every university that offers English PGCE is happy with it, but I've found a list of institutions that do and picked a few interesting ones from there.

I'm more concerned with the personal issue of getting back into lit really.

Thanks though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads