Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could someone answer these for me?

On Campus:
    - Are the rooms cleaned? - If so, is it safe having people come in ur room?
    - Are the bathrooms cleaned? (En-suite and non en-suite)
    - Is the kitchen cleaned?
    - Is an iron provided?
    - Is there a TV in the communal area?
    - How much fridge/freezer space is available?
    - How much is it at the laundrette? (wash and dry)

Off Campus:
    - Are the houses safe?
    - Is there internet access at these houses?
    - What are the condition of the houses?
    - How many students per house?
    - When do we apply for off campus accommodation and does the university help with this?
    - Can u stay in the same house for more than 1 year?

Thanks
    PS i would give rep, but i dont have enough rep, so i dont have any rep power (Hint, lol)

ReputationRep:
    On Campus:
    - Are the rooms cleaned? - If so, is it safe having people come in ur room?

If by "cleaned" you mean floor hoovered and sinks cleaned around weekly, then yes. It varies according to hall and the cleaner's discretion.

- Are the bathrooms cleaned? (En-suite and non en-suite)

Yes to both. Non en-suites are cleaned daily (Monday to Friday). Don't know how often for en-suite.

- Is the kitchen cleaned?

Yes, daily in Rootes.

- Is an iron provided?

We had one in a storage cupboard.

- Is there a TV in the communal area?

Not sure for those halls that have common rooms, would've thought not since it would oblige everyone using it to chip in for a TV licence which they may not want to do. Rootes certainly don't provide a TV.

- How much fridge/freezer space is available?

How long is a piece of string? It depends on what your kitchenmates eat and how much of it they buy. The fridges and freezers are all tall with about 6 shelves, in a kitchen of 13 we had 2 fridges and a freezer - almost everyone had a fridge shelf to themselves, the freezer got very packed at times to the point of not being able to fit anything in. How many fridges you get will depend on the number of people.

- How much is it at the laundrette? (wash and dry)

At the communal, £2 for a wash, 20p for 14 minutes drying (so expect to put in 80p generally).

Off Campus:
    - Are the houses safe?

Depends if you make them safe and on where you live. Some areas have more crime than others and break-ins do happen. If you leave your door unlocked you can't really blame a landlord.

- Is there internet access at these houses?

Depends. Some landlords might be nice and provide it, contracts from the previous tenants might run on, the likelihood is you won't have it until you sort it out yourself which is what we are in the process of doing right now.

- What are the condition of the houses?

No chance I can answer that. I looked at over 25 houses in January and February (it was a very painful process) and saw everything from as modern and clean as you like to some absolute *****holes. There are more of the latter than the former in my experience. It does help to remember that a lot of it is down to how tidy the tenants are, but not all of it. We saw a shower in the front hall, kitchens smaller than a box room and box rooms smaller than Beth Ditto.

- How many students per house?

Your call. Four or five is pretty regular, and it's certainly easiest to find houses for four. We found a few options for seven and six before we had two drop out, but don't rely on finding something if you want bigger numbers.

- When do we apply for off campus accommodation and does the university help with this?

Generally in January as that's when they go on the market, as it were. Some houses are university-owned, which you can find through the Warwick Accommodation website. Presumably the uni is more helpful with these houses generally. Most go through the independent agents such as Tara and Co. The uni gives general advice through an accommodation fair and there will be a feature in The Word which is a somewhat pretentious fortnightly magazine that turns up in your hall for lunchtime reading.

- Can u stay in the same house for more than 1 year?

Unless the landlord or agency tell you otherwise, yes. You don't have to stick it back on the market. The contract still generally runs for 10 or 11 months though, I don't know how one extends it over a summer but I assume it can be done.

ReputationRep:
    //

ReputationRep:
    I know Quinion already answered but some are subjective so ill have a go too:

On Campus:
    - Are the rooms cleaned? - If so, is it safe having people come in ur room? Not all rooms are cleaned - depends on teh residence. Check the website to see which are cleaned. If yours is cleaned, it's once a fortnight and the cleanerw ill leave you a note the day before to warn you. Try to leave while they clean, they dont want to hoover round you. It only takes 10 mins
    - Are the bathrooms cleaned? (En-suite and non en-suite) Non en suites are cleaned every day. En suites are cleaned as often as your room. So you need to keep it a bit cleaner yourself if you have one. Its not a hotel so theyre not done every day.
    - Is the kitchen cleaned? Every day.
    - Is an iron provided? No. But to be hoenst hardly any students iron. If you need one, borrow it off the stereotypical girl who irons everything and has no life on the floor below or above you - there's always one lol.
    - Is there a TV in the communal area? No but many kitchens club together for a licence, and then someone who broght one and then realised they cant get decent signal will bung theirs in the kitchen.
    - How much fridge/freezer space is available? Loads in most residences... Rootes and Whitefields have slightly less from what i saw, but still quite a bit of space. Enough anyway.
    - How much is it at the laundrette? (wash and dry) £2 for a wash... then dryer is 20p per 20 minutes. You need at least an hour though.

Off Campus:
    - Are the houses safe? Depends where you live. Leamington, Earlsdon etc are fine... Canley and Tile Hill... mmm... less so, but hardly crime central. Its not the east end of london.
    - Is there internet access at these houses? Not in university houses. There nay be in privately rented houses, but that depends on teh landlord.
    - What are the condition of the houses? Again, depends. You should go and see it before signing for it. Univeristy houses are in good condition as they have to be, but many private houses arent - make sure you view first!
    - How many students per house? Again, depends... may be from 2-10
    - When do we apply for off campus accommodation and does the university help with this? People looking for private housing look in about January of their first year. People panic. I dont think theres any need for the panic... many good houses in leamington especially arent released by teyh landlords onto the market until about March... so there's no rush. You can alternatively go for a Warwick Accommodation house... which is fully managed by the uni. You can start applying from December and there's no deadline.
    - Can u stay in the same house for more than 1 year? Yes - youll be given right of first refusal if its a uni house... but if its private they may not want you to. Depends on the landlord

(Original post by Splodges)
    I know Quinion already answered but some are subjective so ill have a go too:

On Campus:
    - Are the rooms cleaned? - If so, is it safe having people come in ur room? Not all rooms are cleaned - depends on teh residence. Check the website to see which are cleaned. If yours is cleaned, it's once a fortnight and the cleanerw ill leave you a note the day before to warn you. Try to leave while they clean, they dont want to hoover round you. It only takes 10 mins
    Though bear in mind they might not leave a note or anything. Mine never did. She did clean once a week for us though rather than fortnightly. When it got cleaned however remained a surprise each week. Some cleaners are better than others. Mine was lovely!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 27, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.