Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Many shops have stopped selling the violent video game 'manhunt' after media reports of a youth obsessed by the game killing another youth. People are calling for it to be banned but I don't think it should be, I can understand why retailers stop selling it as a mark of respect (or maybe to improve their image) but I don't think it should be banned. I don't think video games make killers, maybe influence them but the youth must have been unstable in the first place to have carried out a murder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishseapower)
    Many shops have stopped selling the violent video game 'manhunt' after media reports of a youth obsessed by the game killing another youth. People are calling for it to be banned but I don't think it should be, I can understand why retailers stop selling it as a mark of respect (or maybe to improve their image) but I don't think it should be banned. I don't think video games make killers, maybe influence them but the youth must have been unstable in the first place to have carried out a murder.
    I agree I don't think that you can blame video games, music, tv or films for the actions of a person. They may contribute but they are not the sole reason. This game should have a high rating but it should deffinately not be banned.

ReputationRep:
    It's stupid to say that games like that influence people. People know not to do those things IRL, just cos they play violent games doesn't mean they're violent.. those games are just fun and people know that.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think that they can blame only the video game, in the end you are the one that do it, not some fantasy character.even though they banned this game surely there are other similar games.

ReputationRep:
    I saw this study on the TV by Sir Robert Winston which showed that children copied bad and violent behaviour around 70% more than nice peaceful behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    I saw this study on the TV by Sir Robert Winston which showed that children copied bad and violent behaviour around 70% more than nice peaceful behaviour.
    Yeah I saw that. But you have to remeber that these games have an 18 cirtificate so they aren't/ shouldn't be played by children. If children do play them and somehow get a gun then you have to wonder what the parents were doing allowing their kid to have this game in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Yeah I saw that. But you have to remeber that these games have an 18 cirtificate so they aren't/ shouldn't be played by children. If children do play them and somehow get a gun then you have to wonder what the parents were doing allowing their kid to have this game in the first place.
    This is true. I was never one for playing video games as a kid but I saw a fair few 18 certificate horror films. It wasnt just my parents who let me watch them, it was grandparents and friend's parents too. Almost everybody I knew was relaxed about this. If parents have the same attitude towards violent games then it might be just as easy for children play/watch ppl playing these too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm now more inclined to buy it since it has had such a big coverage so any publicity has been good for the game.
    Its only a game if you are going to go on a killing spree i'm sorry no game is going to suddenly make you go and do it.
    A killer would had to of played the game not a game creating a killer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyHappyEnding)
    I'm now more inclined to buy it since it has had such a big coverage so any publicity has been good for the game.
    Its only a game if you are going to go on a killing spree i'm sorry no game is going to suddenly make you go and do it.
    A killer would had to of played the game not a game creating a killer
    yes but you might be hard pressed to find a shop that still sells it

ReputationRep:
    no its called the net u gimp, and PS both Dixions and Game sell it around here, i know infact a couple of my mates have bought it since its publicity

ReputationRep:
    no its called the net u gimp, and PS both Dixions and Game sell it around here, i know infact a couple of my mates have bought it since its publicity
    Apologies run along and play in your computer now blow up a few aliens before bedtime

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be banned...if people kill, its their own decision.

Plus, I am not a violent person, but was reared on mortal kombat and similar.

ReputationRep:
    I got mine from Woolworths although that was a few days before all the media coverage came out, I wouldn't buy it through the net, I heard that people on E-bay were selling it for far more than its worth; it is a good game though

ReputationRep:
    Banning a game because it makes people violent is like saying no more war films because it might start another war. Its just crazy. I have a feeling this is being done by the PC people who never like games like that in the first place and were just waiting for an excuse to ban it.

ReputationRep:
    It’s the same thing as the BNP debate we had! Yes it caused a death, but we are able to make our own choices and decisions about what we expose ourselves to.

It shouldn't be for a shop to stop us buying something to protect us because if we don't want the product in the first place you're protected; and if you do you are aware of what its about.

If they ban that then they should ban Irreversible by Gasper Noe because obviously the nine-minute rape scene encourages all the rapists out there. It’s stupid. We should have freedom to watch and buy what we want without being told what we can watch or buy this silly nanny consumerist state.

ReputationRep:
    This week someone killed a kid because he was some religous nutcase. Should we ban Christianity now??

I can't see how this attack on Manhunt is anything more than a scam by a lawyer to make big money.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever a violent game comes out, right back to doom, the media made a big fuss, it is just people trying to find a scapegoat for bad behavior.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the a videogame can be banned proves that the UK is a police state. The government has NO RIGHT telling anyone what video game they can or cannot buy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laboritesmasher)
    The fact that the a videogame can be banned proves that the UK is a police state. The government has NO RIGHT telling anyone what video game they can or cannot buy.
    Is it the government though? I thought it was the individual shops who were opting not to sell it.

ReputationRep:
    This is really pretty simple, as every one has said

the game has nothing to do with the murder which was over a robbery for drug money, there are messed up people who do messed up things games or not.

The game is boring repetitive and pretty sick yes, a waste of anyones time but banning it is not the answer, it should be left rated 18+

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.